By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sieanr said:
665p equivalent at 30fps

So we have yet another non-HD game this gen. I'd call this another piece of proof that "true HD" is just marketing bullshit, and that making a good looking game this gen requires some sacrifices. But of course some people will make excuses, even though resolution doesn't make that much of a difference.

http://www.ripten.com/2008/04/25/mgo-resolution-665p-equivalent-and-30fps/ 

I think you should be open to the idea that this is a beta not a demo.  MGO may very well render at 665, but you should wait for the release build to start this thread.  At that point this thread may be interesting.  I would be even more intersted if MGS4 rendered at sub HD resolution. 

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
668p is way better then 480p... I'd say its in the lower levels of HD pus its in beta so full textures are probably not even installed.

And isn't this a complete reversal from your stance on Halo 3?

BTW its 665p 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
665p equivalent at 30fps

So we have yet another non-HD game this gen. I'd call this another piece of proof that "true HD" is just marketing bullshit, and that making a good looking game this gen requires some sacrifices. But of course some people will make excuses, even though resolution doesn't make that much of a difference.

So?

MGS4 is 1080p at 60fps that is proven HD.

mM
leo-j said:
sieanr said:
665p equivalent at 30fps

So we have yet another non-HD game this gen. I'd call this another piece of proof that "true HD" is just marketing bullshit, and that making a good looking game this gen requires some sacrifices. But of course some people will make excuses, even though resolution doesn't make that much of a difference.

So?

Do you want to give a link confirming that?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864647p1.html

" What resolution does MGS4 run at, and what kind of audio does it support?

Metal Gear Solid 4 has been certified for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, and the game appeared to run at 720p. 7.1 surround sound has not been confirmed yet, and whether the game will run at 1080p or not is still a closely guarded secret."

leo-j said:
sieanr said:
665p equivalent at 30fps

So?

heres the thing Ive been worked over by this concept forever HALO 3 640 p but its outputted or upconverted on my 1080p tv to 1080p still its like taking a photo at 1024x768 and upconverting it to1080p on a monitor the image is still native 768.

So techies will count the lines somehow and thats why H3 and COD4 and all other games take a beating because they are being upconverted and still look awesome.

so even if mgs4 is 648p and upconverted it will still look amazing! the fact that the PS3 and 360  can upconvert these images its like taking a dvd 480 sorce and upconverting it to 1080 it looks way better if its a good upconversion and a better tv will even make it look better.

So say a Wii game running in hardware at 600p and displaying at 480p is downconverting the image and does not have the crispness of an HD display.

Around the Network

It is a beta.

This thread is full of chuckles.

Textures and render resolution are independent.

A game won't suddenly jump to a new resolution from Beta to the retail SKU.

True HD is such a marketing buzzword. I'm sick of the distinction between SD and HD because it suggest and either or circumstance when there are any variation of different resolutions.

Lol @Leo-J.....again.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

TyePhoid_PAL said:
Dont understabnd this. My tv is 1080p. Watchin dvds 1920x1080 /50hz. Watching Blu ray and 1080p games it says 1920x1080 /60hz. MGO is in 60hz not upscaled. Unless my tv is lying

How do you know its not upscaled????? or upconverted ? see its running in hardware at 648 and 30 fps then the PS3 upconverts the image to 720p 0r 1080p just like the 360 games>

720p and all its other variants (665 or 648 lines and other upconversions) are indeed HD, which is a field of several resolutions, ranging from 720i, 1080i, 720p and 1080p, in order of increasing resolution. (Yes, 720p is indeed superior to 1080i, just one of those things.)

Ugh this crap again? Halo 3 is not HD, COD 4 is not HD, MGO is not HD...

Who cares if it's under 720p if it looks great? COD 4 is one of the best looking games and both Halo and MGO look great.

Don't even try to start saying this is not a huge leap over anything on PS2/Wii/Xbox, the difference is astronomical. The other day I was over at a friend's house and he was playing Halo 3 on an SD TV, the snowy multiplayer map (Valhalla I think it's called) and it looked beautiful, absolutely stunning both the snow and the sky.

720p, 650p, whatever. All I know is how great these games look, even on a standard tv. The jump from last gen and from Wii is huge.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!