By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
cleveland124 said:
ckmlb said:
Ugh this crap again? Halo 3 is not HD, COD 4 is not HD, MGO is not HD...

Who cares if it's under 720p if it looks great? COD 4 is one of the best looking games and both Halo and MGO look great.

Don't even try to start saying this is not a huge leap over anything on PS2/Wii/Xbox, the difference is astronomical. The other day I was over at a friend's house and he was playing Halo 3 on an SD TV, the snowy multiplayer map (Valhalla I think it's called) and it looked beautiful, absolutely stunning both the snow and the sky.

720p, 650p, whatever. All I know is how great these games look, even on a standard tv. The jump from last gen and from Wii is huge.

720p, 650p, whatever is all 480i on a standard TV.  So I don't know what your seeing that makes it so much better than a gamecube or xbox.  The true standard is how good games look on a 1080p TV.  Because then you have to stretch the image. 

As others have said, resolution isn't everything. I used the same TV to play NES to PS2 and I'm pretty sure the graphic quality increased. Games on PC run at high resolutions all the time but that doesn't gaurantee it looks good. I played PS3 games on a SDTV for almost a year and I assure you I could tell the graphics were much better than on my PS2 or Wii.

Around the Network

sienr, you are not HD. 665 or whatever it is is close enough to 720 to be called "HD," but it really doesn't matter as long as the game looks great. Thanks for the info, though.

starcraft said:
kingofwale said:
I wonder what Halo 3 Beta is running under. If I remember correctly, it's about the same?

Never tell me off for bringing a Sony comparison into a Microsoft discussion EVER again.

OT:  Neither HD console is capable of running high graphics, high physics games at 1080p. 

Isn't the Sony NBA game native 1080p? NG Sigma? NBA Street Homecourt? Virtua Tennis 3? MLB The Show? The Darkness? I'm sure we'll see some 1080p games this gen on PS3.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Lol. There's no friggin' way MGS4 will be rendered by the GPU at 1920x1080_60fps.

I'm not surprised at the slightly sub-720p resolution. As someone said above sacrifices have to be made because of hardware limitations to get a modern game to run smoothly.  PC users have to do the same thing with really high end games, depending on their hardware configuration.

I just found out NBA Street and Virtua Tennis are also native 1080p on the 360, so I'm sure we'll see more and more 1080p games on both consoles as the generation goes on.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
I just found out NBA Street and Virtua Tennis are also native 1080p, so I'm sure we'll see more and more 1080p games on both consoles as the generation goes on.

Well, I'd wager that those two games are not very taxing compared to current ones (they've both been around for a while, I think). This analogy is a little exaggerated, but my laptop would have no problems rendering Half Life 1 @ 1920x1080 and getting more than 60 frames per second out of it, but Crysis? Not even close to that good.

Also, the fact that it's still in Beta doesn't mean they're using a half working engine or something, so don't expect it to be all that different when it releases..

Metal Gear Online : Beta

@epsilon:

Yes but as time goes on developers will be able to pull it off for more and more complex games.

There are currentl 26 native 1080p games on the PS3 (including PSN) and 2 on the 360, it will only improve from here.

Shameless said:
Metal Gear Online : Beta

I'll take something from wikipedia: The definition of Beta:

Beta

Main article: Betaware

A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software. They receive the software for free or for a reduced price, but act as free testers.

Beta versions test the supportability of the product, the go-to-market messaging (while recruiting Beta customers), the manufacturability of the product, and the overall channel flow or channel reach.

Basically, a beta version is a readied product that is release for testing and to attract more customers. Why would you expect a jump in resolution from beta to final? They pretty much the core programming done.

OT, I agree as I constantly have to adust the resolutions on my PC from game to game and there's nothing that makes the 720p mark so special.

metal gear online, hmmm, i wonder what the keyword is in that name...

it's an online game people, the graphics are always downgraded when online to improve performance. i can't think of one gme that even runs at 720p NATIVE, while online. the games even warn you that the experience may change whilst online, that includes graphics.