By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is MS dead, I dont get it

A better question would be: Why are there so many recent threads that ask useless questions?

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=24893

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=24915

360 Tag - narfwack

Around the Network

I agree that the 360 isn't dead. It's here to stay, and the PS3 will not be catching it for another two years. That means it is going to get plenty of game development.

However, I'm pretty sure Microsoft started out this generation selling the 360 at a loss, so that point isn't quite right. I do believe they are selling at a small profit now (not sure if I am right on this).

I would like to point out that Patcher is generally viewed in a negative light on this site, since he is wrong so often.

I actually agree with you about BluRay. I think it will have a very tough time catching on with average consumers.

As for your other points about development costs, and install base, I think you are forgetting that little white box known as the Wii (although you are right if you only consider the HD consoles).

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
I agree that the 360 isn't dead. It's here to stay, and the PS3 will not be catching it for another two years. That means it is going to get plenty of game development.

However, I'm pretty sure Microsoft started out this generation selling the 360 at a loss, so that point isn't quite right. I do believe they are selling at a small profit now (not sure if I am right on this).

I would like to point out that Patcher is generally viewed in a negative light on this site, since he is wrong so often.

I actually agree with you about BluRay. I think it will have a very tough time catching on with average consumers.

As for your other points about development costs, and install base, I think you are forgetting that little white box known as the Wii (although you are right if you only consider the HD consoles).

The wii is by far the cheapest but I was referring to the HD consoles as you stated.  Secondly, the 360 was sold at a loss for an extremely short period of time.  Please refer here:http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html

Aj_habfan said:
Here's why some people think 360 is dead:

1. It is selling the least every week worldwide since late last year, even after a $100 price cut in Europe
2. It is dead in Japan and lost it's major lead in America
3. People feel it has used up all it's big software hitters, so it's only downhill from here
4. People think it's sales peaked at Halo 3, and now people are moving on to the other consoles

I'd argrue those points, not a Microsoft person saying how good of a job his team has done.

1. Yes, it's selling less than the PS3 and Wii... It's also selling more than it did in 2007. Since when is significantly increasing sales "dead"? MS is making money right now and after a dreadful six years in the industry, they need that more than anything.

2. Yes, but it was always dead in Japan. Nothing has changed there. America badly needs a price cut. 30 months with one stinkin' $50 price cut is not helping their cause.

3. Gears 2. Banjo 3. Halo Wars. Fable 2. Ninja Gaiden. If anything, the 360's software is stronger in 2008 than it was in 2007... It just doesn't have Halo 3 but if you look at the numbers, Gears isn't a bad replacement at all.

4. See point one. If its sales peaked with Halo, why is the console selling far and above its 2007 numbers?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I don't know how much good it will do as it sounds like your opinion is pretty much set in stone, and your post reads more like propaganda than the start of a real debate, but I still want to say a couple of things:

Who has said that Blu-ray will destroy the 360? What I heard people saying was that Blu-ray would destroy HD DVD, which it did, and that it is a better storage medium for games than DVD, which you have not argued against.

Who here has said that the 360 is dead? Only the most rabid of PS3 boosters here have said even that it is "dead in the water" which is far from "dead". Next time you lecture an entire forum, try arguing against something most of them believe.

Such as, for instance, the fact that the PS3 has outsold the 360 consistently throughout this year so far (WW).

Your widget example was just painful to look at.

Hopefully, if you stick around, you'll do more than spew "xbot"-level propaganda, since there is a bit of a shortage of 360 fans around here.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Gamer1211 said:
theRepublic said:

The wii is by far the cheapest but I was referring to the HD consoles as you stated. Secondly, the 360 was sold at a loss for an extremely short period of time. Please refer here:http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html
"before the unit has been shipped however" and assuming you didn't buy the Core, because I guarantee you that the HDD doesn't really cost $100.

If they were profiting on the 360 for so long, how come they didn't post a profit till recently?

You'd do better to just point out the obvious fact that the 360 has lost WAAAY less than the PS3 on hardware. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The truth in all of this is fanboys for each console keep discrediting the Wii. The Wii is a force and is here to stay. Sony keeps pulling market share away from the 360 as does the Wii. The 360 is falling in market share but by no means is it dead. Sony fanboys need to stop thinking that once they pass 360 that this war is over. The war will be far from over.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Gamer1211 said:
theRepublic said:

The wii is by far the cheapest but I was referring to the HD consoles as you stated.  Secondly, the 360 was sold at a loss for an extremely short period of time.  Please refer here:http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html

That article is from November 2006.  The 360 was launched in November 2005.  That is a full year of losses.  I would not call that "an extremely short period of time."

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

rocketpig said:
Aj_habfan said:
Here's why some people think 360 is dead:

1. It is selling the least every week worldwide since late last year, even after a $100 price cut in Europe
2. It is dead in Japan and lost it's major lead in America
3. People feel it has used up all it's big software hitters, so it's only downhill from here
4. People think it's sales peaked at Halo 3, and now people are moving on to the other consoles

I'd argrue those points, not a Microsoft person saying how good of a job his team has done.

1. Yes, it's selling less than the PS3 and Wii... It's also selling more than it did in 2007. Since when is significantly increasing sales "dead"? MS is making money right now and after a dreadful six years in the industry, they need that more than anything.

2. Yes, but it was always dead in Japan. Nothing has changed there. America badly needs a price cut. 30 months with one stinkin' $50 price cut is not helping their cause.

3. Gears 2. Banjo 3. Halo Wars. Fable 2. Ninja Gaiden. If anything, the 360's software is stronger in 2008 than it was in 2007... It just doesn't have Halo 3 but if you look at the numbers, Gears isn't a bad replacement at all.

4. See point one. If its sales peaked with Halo, why is the console selling far and above its 2007 numbers?

It doesn't matter how well it sells in contrast to..itself, it matters how well it sells in contrast to the competition.

I don't think the 360 is dead, but it's certainly heading for 3rd place.

As far as the business side of things... Who makes more MS or Sony, I'm sure most gamers could care less about that, which I think cancels out half of what you said

Which brings us to games. I think the 360 is getting the 'Dead' feeling because the PS3 currently has more/better games coming out (I know ill get attacked for this, I'm just speaking of hi-profile games that will easily sell 5 Million, like Final Fantasy, GT5, MGS4, etc)

Don't get me wrong, the 360 has some great games coming too, but nothing huge like FF/MGS/GT5/Home

I believe thats the major reason, there are other little reasons that are making the PS3 look good such as Home, BluRay victory, No Hardware Issues, etc

Im not trying to say this is how 'I' feel about it, I very much could hate Sony myself and not like any of the games above... I'm simply stating this is what I hear, this is how the market is right now, this is the vibe I get from hearing what people have to say

I personally don't think the 360 is dead, nor the PS3 nor the Wii (Obviously), they all are doing fantastic in sales. Dead would be Dreamcast, dead would be Xbox1, dead would be 3DO, and this generation theres too many unique features each console has to be considered dead any time soon