By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is MS dead, I dont get it

rocketpig said:
The place the Xbox finishes is irrelevant to their entertainment division. Sure, they would like to finish first, as would everyone.

I'm sure MS is perfectly happy sitting on a 360 that is turning a profit and is poised to sell up to 80% over its predecessor. Sure, it will finish in third place but I guarantee you that MS will take that market gain and profit over a second place finish and $5b in losses.

You need to stop looking at this like a consumer/fan and realize what MS is doing and why the Entertainment division is showing signs of longterm viability as a result.

listen to him

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
The place the Xbox finishes is irrelevant to their entertainment division. Sure, they would like to finish first, as would everyone.

I'm sure MS is perfectly happy sitting on a 360 that is turning a profit and is poised to sell up to 80% over its predecessor. Sure, it will finish in third place but I guarantee you that MS will take that market gain and profit over a second place finish and $5b in losses.

You need to stop looking at this like a consumer/fan and realize what MS is doing and why the Entertainment division is showing signs of longterm viability as a result.

Again, you're dodging the point. Whether their entertainment division is making a profit is only relevant to MS and their shareholders.  Their position in the console race is far more relevant to the consumer, and currently their doing a lot worse in contrast to the competitiion.

I disagree, I don't think MS is happy at all with the situation the 360 is in, the fact that their moving down a place is an obvious disappointment, but it's also hard to tell whether the 360 is currently bringing in a profit what with the Zune, Windows games etc... all bundled together in one division. They still have billions of dollars to cover and it doesn't look like they'll make it back this generation, not if there's a price cut in NA anytime soon.

And I think you need to stop looking at it from Microsoft's perspective, I think we should look at how well the console itself is doing since it's more relevant to us, the consumer.

And let's face it...that's the whole point of this site.

rocketpig said:

I don't understand peoples' fascination with that $6b number.

Their original aim when they announced the Xbox was to be profitable *overall* with the second generation product.  So this is why people are interested in the numbers and whether or not it is impossible for them to be profitable overall in the second generation.

Dragon007 said:
rocketpig said:

Again, you're dodging the point. Whether their entertainment division is making a profit is only relevant to MS and their shareholders. Their position in the console race is far more relevant to the consumer, and currently their doing a lot worse in contrast to the competitiion.

I disagree, I don't think MS is happy at all with the situation the 360 is in, the fact that their moving down a place is an obvious disappointment, but it's also hard to tell whether the 360 is currently bringing in a profit what with the Zune, Windows games etc... all bundled together in one division. They still have billions of dollars to cover and it doesn't look like they'll make it back this generation, not if there's a price cut in NA anytime soon.

And I think you need to stop looking at it from Microsoft's perspective, I think we should look at how well the console itself is doing since it's more relevant to us, the consumer.

And let's face it...that's the whole point of this site.

There is absolutely no point at looking at a product as a consumer unless you're planning to buy one soon. The only real position that matters is the company's, for they are the ones who decide whether to continue to provide us said product or not and the support that goes along with it.

Third place, second place, eighteenth place, that doesn't matter to MS. They care about money and marketshare, that's it. And that's what I care about because I want a healthy Xbox so I will continue to be fed games on a regular basis, just like I want a healthy PSP, DS, Wii, and PS3 for the same reasons. Only fanboys bother with worrying about finishing places and hourly sales numbers.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

TheBigFatJ said:
rocketpig said:

I don't understand peoples' fascination with that $6b number.

Their original aim when they announced the Xbox was to be profitable *overall* with the second generation product. So this is why people are interested in the numbers and whether or not it is impossible for them to be profitable overall in the second generation.

And I'm sure they're rather unhappy that number looks impossible to them at this point. Like I said in the other thread, it's not even worth discussing until the end of the generation. Then, and only then, will we have an accurate idea of how well the 360 performed for Microsoft.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

If MS had a reliable console out there , the console war would had been ended for a long time. The RROD problem is the only think that keeps MS away from the first place. After all the good market share in the gaming industry is a huge step for MS in the Next Generation, which i think XBOX will be dominant...

Final-Fan said:
Gamer1211 said:
Final-Fan said:
I don't know how much good it will do as it sounds like your opinion is pretty much set in stone, and your post reads more like propaganda than the start of a real debate, but I still want to say a couple of things:

Who has said that Blu-ray will destroy the 360? What I heard people saying was that Blu-ray would destroy HD DVD, which it did, and that it is a better storage medium for games than DVD, which you have not argued against.

Who here has said that the 360 is dead? Only the most rabid of PS3 boosters here have said even that it is "dead in the water" which is far from "dead". Next time you lecture an entire forum, try arguing against something most of them believe.

Such as, for instance, the fact that the PS3 has outsold the 360 consistently throughout this year so far (WW).

Your widget example was just painful to look at.

Hopefully, if you stick around, you'll do more than spew "xbot"-level propaganda, since there is a bit of a shortage of 360 fans around here.
1. Many PS3 fanboys claim that Blu Ray will be the deciding factor in the console war. Go to gamespot and u will see what I am talking about.

2. Umm if you goto Forums and gaming you will see that there are 3 threads talking about the 360 being dead. Moreso, If you goto Gamespot or IGN you will at least 10 so please dont advise me to post about something that is clearly widespread throughout the gaming community.

3. Yes the PS3 has sold the 360 3 out of 4 months this year. I never disagreed or stated anything disputing that and as such I am unsure what you point was.

4. Widget example was to simply prove a point. Based on the types of threads that are posted its not a good assumption to believe that everyone can understand logic when it comes to consoles. Spelling something out to me would be much more effective then posting my opinion.

5. Propaganda? If you could please direct me to your source that discredits or proves that anything I posted is false or does not have fact to back it up.
1. Are we on the gamespot forums? No. In fact we frequesntly laugh at the ignorance rampant there, which would include talk of the 360 being "dead".

2. I didn't see them on the first 3 pages. Please point them out, I admit I skimmed but the closest I saw was a troll thread on Page 2 about GTAIV making 360s brick; the poster got banned and everyone laughed at the article.

4. The widget example was not even remotely on point. How was it a useful analogy for the 360 vs. PS3? Just because the 360 managed to claw its way to profit a little bit faster doesn't mean it didn't employ the same strategy of losing money on the hardware to make it up on software and later in the gen.[*] I agree that spelling out one's argumentation is a good thing; I don't think you did it enough.

[edit:  In short, you say you did the widget example to prove a point but I don't know what you think you were proving.  It's pretty obvious to all that it's better to make money per unit rather than lose money per unit.  You don't need an example to show that and it's NOT what you needed to prove to support your argument.  As it stands your widget example is such a gross oversimplification of the strategy MS and Sony both employed that it loses all relevance to the discussion. 

[*There is also another point to consider:  Sony also was employing the same strategy with respect to Blu-ray inside the PS3 at the same time as it was doing so with respect to the PS3 generally.  So it has even more to potentially gain from that (successful) strategy.]

5. Propaganda doesn't have to be false. I will address this point more fully when I get home from work.

1. No not on gamespot forums true but as this is my first post here most would assume that gamers would share the same mentalities as there counterparts at other sites.  I do not believe that my point in regards to Blu-Ray was unwarrented by any means in the realm of PS3 fanboy's mentalities about the format victory.

2. Here are some links for you from this site.  I also did note that at gamespot and IGN there are many more but I will keep my search to this site for you:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=23439

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=18817&start=100

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=24893 - Posted on this thread...

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=24915 - Posted on this thread...

Sorry this site isnt immune to it my friend.

The widget example was to illistrate how last gen with the XBOX, MS was not worried about making a profit on their console and why it is better to sell something at a profit.  If you couldn't get that out of that then I feel for you sir.  It was not meant to be a statistical analysis detailing anything but more so a general picture to MS's new model based on the related podcast in the orginal post.  Please listen to the podcast first and you will understand why I put it in this thread in the first place.

Propoganda: "Propaganda is a type of message aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people. Often, instead of impartially providing information, propaganda can be deliberately misleading, or using logical fallacies, which, while sometimes convincing, are not necessarily valid."

I am not influencing anyone or providing false or impartial information.  I have reference all points in the above thread and as such, if you can find links to disprove or falisfy what I have posted that power to you.  If not, I encourage you to reconsider the wording that you are using or continue to look for something that can outweight what I have posted on here.  Given I have used 2 references directly from Microsoft but the information used is further backed in the podcast which again I encourage you to listen to.

Lastly, your comment "I agree that spelling out one's argumentation is a good thing; I don't think you did it enough."  Well if you need more claification or you cannot understand something ensure you let me no. 

eliasg said:
If MS had a reliable console out there , the console war would had been ended for a long time. The RROD problem is the only think that keeps MS away from the first place. After all the good market share in the gaming industry is a huge step for MS in the Next Generation, which i think XBOX will be dominant...

wow, you can't be serious.

even if the 360 was 110% reliable it wouldn't even be close to first place at gens end, it would still be third.

Strategyking92 said:
Aj_habfan said:
Here's why some people think 360 is dead:

1. It is selling the least every week worldwide since late last year, even after a $100 price cut in Europe
2. It is dead in Japan and lost it's major lead in America
3. People feel it has used up all it's big software hitters, so it's only downhill from here
4. People think it's sales peaked at Halo 3, and now people are moving on to the other consoles

I'd argrue those points, not a Microsoft person saying how good of a job his team has done.

1. Actually, It's sales went up about 40% in europe, so it did help.

2.  You are stupid if you think the ps3 has already beaten the 360 in america. Only right now is it ahead. (week  to week, and that's not by much)

3.  That's only what you think buddy, you hate the 360.

4.  If a person likes the Xbox360's software, why would he get a console he might not like?

BTW, welcome, I also came from gamespot.

Mmm, how about you fuck off? I was posting reasons that people who say the 360 is dead use, and for him to argue those points instead of "Microsoft said we have won the core gamer!"

Coming in last with a profit is better than any other place with a loss. ~ Brutally stolen from Nintendo.