By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best indie games 5 euro..ish or under.

psychicscubadiver said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Base price. I'm looking for games that set out to enter the market at that price and not games that reduced their price at some point in time. I never came across this price point before, outside of mobile, which is odd cause it seems to be the majority of games on steam, PSN and the switch store, it feels like fishing for golden nuggets but what really fascinates me is the scope of the games and the fun ratio to how simplistic these games can be or how they can make something so simple be so deep. When the stars alighn and they succeed they do so much with so little and give such value that greatly exceeds what they are priced at because they chose to enter the market at such a budget and compete with such a massive amount of similarly priced games. One finger death punch looks like an unbelievable amount of fun. You could live off of these games and be eating well or at least have a side game always going depending on how big this pool is... if the gems or rough diamonds can be fished out. 

It reminds me of the old site Addicting Games from back in the day and how you'd dump hours into trying to get a high score on the Helicopter game. 

Tadpole Treble Encore: probably a bit much for the category at $8.99 but it's a great rhythm game with very cute animation and original songs. Not very long, but it's got a ton of replayability going for high scores on each of the levels.

The Bug Butcher: $7.99 another short one, but it's like old flash game shooters given a serious upgrade. Plus there is just something satisfying about blasting endless swarms of enemies.

Downwell:$2.99 Rogue-lite with simple but addictive gameplay. Fast paced and tough as nails

Nice one. Cheers. 

Around the Network

I'm starting to feel foolish paying 20 or 30 euro for an indie game when there is such a breath of cheap content. Never again will I and will only buy the big indies on sale.

Okay. So far I've bought a few so far I'ma rate them as I go along and see if the value exceeds the cost. 

• Vampire survivors - Unbelievably addictive reverse bullet hell/horde Survivor and so much value for money. You could spend hundreds of hours in this unlocking trophies and still have fun. Insnae amounts of dopamine and great rouguelite progression make this a fantastic experience 10/10
  • Brotato - Another horde survivors but more so a rouguelite. Really hard to get your first clear and difficult to get higher level clears and very RNG based. I was gonna rate this 8/10 early on but I'm upping the score to 9/10 the more time I spend with it the more it clicks and the more addictive it gets. Plenty of diverse builds and characters and insane depth. Delightful experience and another where the fun to cost ratio is well in excess of the asking price. 
  • Army of Ruin - I'm still early enough at about 5 hours. The game is a basic horde survivors, very much a copy paste of Vampire survivors and has enough unlocks to keep it interesting yet it's very mobile like but seems more "polished" the VS or Brotato. I've already got my value for the money backing times over and I expect it to continue to pay for it's self in fun and time spent. Not nearly as addictive or good as the above two but it has the same hooks in me. Quite a lot of fun at it's core in short ten minute rounds to start with then increasing to 20 minute and finally 30 minute rounds as you progress. I see it has an endless modifier to be unlocked down the line, something all of the genre should have. Solid permanent rouguelite progression as well as much andany things to unlock even after hours. So far it's above a solid 7 at least. 7.5/10.
  • Rush Rover - Yet to play
  • Down well - Yet to play
  • Refunct - Yet to play
Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 1 day ago

Here are ~400 indie games for less than $5 with a SteamDB rating of 90% or above:

https://steamdb.info/instantsearch/?refinementList%5Btags%5D%5B0%5D=Indie&refinementList%5BappType%5D%5B0%5D=Game&range%5BuserScore%5D=90%3A&range%5Bprice_us%5D=%3A5

Here are over 1400 indie games for less than $5 with a SteamDB rating of 85% or above:

https://steamdb.info/instantsearch/?refinementList%5Btags%5D%5B0%5D=Indie&refinementList%5BappType%5D%5B0%5D=Game&range%5BuserScore%5D=85%3A&range%5Bprice_us%5D=%3A5

When the next Steam Sale starts, it will be a lot more.

Oh, and you can add additional filters (f.e. genres, tags, release year, number of reviews) to get even better results.

Last edited by Conina - 22 hours ago

Conina said:

Here are ~400 indie games for less than $5 with a SteamDB rating of 90% or above:

https://steamdb.info/instantsearch/?refinementList%5Btags%5D%5B0%5D=Indie&refinementList%5BappType%5D%5B0%5D=Game&range%5BuserScore%5D=90%3A&range%5Bprice_us%5D=%3A5

Here are over 1400 indie games for less than $5 with a SteamDB rating of 85% or above:

https://steamdb.info/instantsearch/?refinementList%5Btags%5D%5B0%5D=Indie&refinementList%5BappType%5D%5B0%5D=Game&range%5BuserScore%5D=85%3A&range%5Bprice_us%5D=%3A5

When the next Steam Sale starts, it will be a lot more.

Oh, and you can add additional filters (f.e. genres, tags, release year, number of reviews) to get even better results.

Man, you are a legend above legends. I'll dive in ASAP. 

Around the Network

You can also exclude free-to-play games by tag or by setting the minimum price to 1 cent.

Conina said:

You can also exclude free-to-play games by tag or by setting the minimum price to 1 cent.

Yep, and one has to be cautious. Many of these games end up listed for reasons less of their popularity but more that a very low number of people have actually rated them.

LegitHyperbole said:

Many of these games end up listed for reasons less of their popularity but more that a very low number of people have actually rated them.

Well, you can set a minimum number of reviews and followers:

Conina said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Many of these games end up listed for reasons less of their popularity but more that a very low number of people have actually rated them.

Well, you can set a minimum number of reviews and followers:

Oh I see. Very cool, That'll make things a lot easier and more legit. Thanks 👊 

Vampire Survivors is indeed very hard to put down, very fun game.