By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it feasible for the Switch 2 to have performance near Xbox Series S level at 400$?

Is it feasible for Switch 2 to have performance near Series S level at 400$?

Yes, pretty close in performance 20 34.48%

Not really, not close but... 28 48.28%

No, Switch 2 would be far... 10 17.24%

Total:58

In docked mode, it should be able to get relatively close. Well, at least if the dock actually has extra stuff in it this time.
Handheld? No way. The tablet probably won't perform much better than a Steam Deck.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I already talked about this in another thread...

The Switch 2's CPU will not be able to deliver what a Ryzen from Series S delivers. Even if it is confirmed that the GPUs are comparable, there will be a big difference between CPUs.

To think otherwise is to delude yourself, Switch 2 will be much inferior when compared to Series S.

Leynos said:

I laughed so hard at this, I wish I could agree with you 10x.

No. And to be fair expecting Series S performance from a mobile device is unreasonable, especially one at $400.

Way slower ram, significantly weaker CPU, etc.

It is still a huge jump and 1st party games will look great. 3rd party will be a step behind what is on current generation consoles. How much that matters is a personal opinion.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

XBSS uses around 75w when gaming, and the SOC is 7nm.

Switch 2 docked maybe 25w possibly, and the SOC is supposedly 8nm. (Switch docked is around 12w I believe)

Switch 2 will have newer tech and features like DLSS, but it's not going to get super close to XBSS. It won't exactly be way far behind either though.

Switch 2 at $500 however, assuming that's legit and not mostly greedy profits, should get you in the XBSS ballpark in docked mode.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

With this in mind, is it feasible for Switch 2 at 400$ to be close to Series S in performance?

Imo no.

It might get close (in docked mode), but I think overall it'll be weaker hardware than the Series S,
esp if they want battery life/weight/price of the Switch 2 to be reasonable.

If you dont care about price, or weight/size, or battery life, you could easily make a handheld that was stronger than the series S.
It would just be massive in size/weight, and expensive....

Like a laptop...

edit:

Koragg said:

Surely the switch 2 would cost more to manufacture? Smaller parts are more expensive plus there's a screen included

This is my take away as well.
Switch 2 might launch at 449 or 499$.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 September 2024

No.

Edot: oh I thought you meant XSX. Yeah, I'd hope that it would reach pretty close to the XSS. Somewhere between X1X and XSS

On second thoughs, probably way closer the the X1X than XSS.

Man Xboxs naming strategy is a headache.

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 21 September 2024

It's about games and market share for developers to make and sell games.

Let's face it, a good looking PS3 era game beats a shoddy PS5 Pro game. It's about how long a graphics artist gets paid to stare at the models in Blender. Which depends on sales. Which depends on people buying the console...

Where I would guess Switch 2 ends up slotting into the mix overall:

Switch
XB1
PS4
Switch 2
PS4 Pro
XB1X & XBSS
PS5 & XBSX
PS5 Pro

You have to remember the Series S is sold at a huge loss. Even just a dedicated home console at series S power level but sold at Nintendo profit margins would likely be $400+. Now you got to put it in a slim form factor, add a screen and limit it to something like 20w.

Raw power will be well short but it might be possible to get a lot of games that look close to series S levels. Games that are CPU bound(GTA games, large open world RPGS etc.) could have a problem.