By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you or would you buy a console for one exclusive? (poll)

I bought/would buy a system for one exclusive...

Yes. 25 55.56%

No. 20 44.44%

Total:45
LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Missing out, to me, isn't a big deal.  There are plenty of games to play while I wait.

Honestly, my bonus earlier this year was bigger than expected so it was more of a "why not" for the PC build.  It was built with a 4070 and I upgraded.  It is nice.  Run most everything at 4k quality DLSS + ultra + 120 fps.  RT is hit or miss.  Some games work well, others RT just isn't worth the fps hit.

Waiting is better in the industry indeed but I'd rather wait on console to buy "new" games at a discount. I haven't paid full price for a game since Ragnorok which disappointed me so much I gave up. 

It is rare that I pay full price for a game.  Steam sales happen all the time and the pricing is awesome.  Just grabbed Rift Apart and Spiderman for something like $20 each.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Waiting is better in the industry indeed but I'd rather wait on console to buy "new" games at a discount. I haven't paid full price for a game since Ragnorok which disappointed me so much I gave up. 

It is rare that I pay full price for a game.  Steam sales happen all the time and the pricing is awesome.  Just grabbed Rift Apart and Spiderman for something like $20 each.  

Does your PC PSN account have trophies? 

Does anyone who said yes expect, or not mind, if there will be no other exclusives later that you want to play?

Because I have bought a system specifically for one exclusive (PS4 for Persona 5, although it was also available for PS3), but I also fully expected there would be more that I enjoy in the future.

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Does your PC PSN account have trophies? 

No idea.  Steam has its own trophy system.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Hiku said:

Does anyone who said yes expect, or not mind, if there will be no other exclusives later that you want to play?

Because I have bought a system specifically for one exclusive (PS4 for Persona 5, although it was also available for PS3), but I also fully expected there would be more that I enjoy in the future.

You bought the console for the game, it's a yes for everyone in this case cause ao think everyone would want to get more than one game out of the system. A lotta people were buying X series S's to play College football in the cheapest possible way, I would hope that they would have other games that would interest them or perhaps college football was the tipping point for them to upgrade and there are more games already on the system that they'd play. It still counts as a yes, they bought it for college football.

Around the Network

The only reason I bought a PS1 was for Final Fantasy VII. I did end up getting a couple of other games for it (though I rented most of what I played at the time), but if it weren't for Final Fantasy jumping ship to PlayStation, I may not have ever even bothered with PlayStation until maybe the PS4.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

I've had every Playstation since the PS1, but when the PS5 came out, there weren't any games that I was interested in so I stuck with my Switch and bought a Series S to go with it. However since Astro Bot came out, I've been thinking about getting a PS5. Problem is I cannot justify spending half a grand to play one game lol.

I was borderline going to buy a Dreamcast because I wanted to play Space Channel 5 cuz back then I liked games like Bust a Groove and Parapa the Rapper. Kinda glad I didn't.

LegitHyperbole said:
Jumpin said:

Yes.

In fact, just about all consoles I’ve ever bought were for a single game. Before that, when I was a kid asking for video game systems, those were because of one game as well.

But I expect consoles to have other games I want. Sometimes this doesn’t end up being the case and I end up really only playing a lot of that one game and minimal time on others: Gamecube (Animal Crossing), Wii U (Xenoblade Chronicles X), and PS3 (Assassin’s Creed 2*) are the main examples.

Actually, I bought PS3 specifically for FF13, not Assassin’s Creed 2. I enjoyed the first 20 hours or so of FF13, despite feeling some things were missing over previous games (namely towns). But then I reached this area where the story abruptly stopped, it was opened up, but didn’t have much of anything interesting. It was kind of jarring to the experience, so I figured “Probably a good time for a break from this game and come back when I’m ready for this style of game,” and I never played it again… perhaps I will in the future.

But regardless, Assassin’s Creed 2 was a game I picked up, finding the idea of exploring Renaissance era Florence to be interesting. I found I quite enjoyed that one, and ended up playing it a lot.

Hey. Reply to my post in The Witcher 3 thread ya Bum. 😉

Man you really do love Xenoblade. I can't understand the love for it though, I have Xenoblade X Chronicles on cart for my Switch but every time I try to get into it, I feel as if the game is playing itself, I eventually fall off cause of that, it's not quite Overlord Unicorn but there is little agency in combat. 

Will do. It's just my days always seem to run into walls (times when I should be settling down to sleep for the next day), and Witcher 3... talking about that game requires a lot of words. It's the sort of joy and dread I get when I want to write about Xenogears.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

If there were a console that had only one interesting game, and I didn't expect it to get any more interesting games, there's absolutely no chance that I would purchase that console for more than about $50.

But, this is pretty far away from reality, as every major system ends up with more than one game that would appeal to just about anybody. A more reasonable topic would be something like "How many exclusives does it take to make a console worth buying?" And to that question, I would say that I'm willing to pay about $300 for a system that I'll get six good exclusives out of. If the system were $500, and it only had six interesting exclusives, I'd probably only buy it if I expected it to also be good for third party games.