By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Nintendo Switch 2 leaked factory images/specs/renders

This lady did a 3D print out based on the leaked CAD/Blender files and leaked dimensions (those have been out there a while), but just for illustrative purposes, it makes a regular Switch OLED look tiny. She's not a reliable tech person, but the first couple of minutes are worth a watch just to see how it compares size wise to the current Switch.  

Around the Network

Curious what the 3rd button is below the home button.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Zippy6 said:
Leynos said:

The solution is to use an SD card. We all have a few spare laying around. 1TB and 1.5TB micro SD cards are cheaper than the Xbox 1TB proprietary cards.

I think people expecting all next-gen games to run off a slow SD card are in for a wake-up call. There's a reason PS5 and XS restrict next-gen games to SSD's and not USB HDDS. Storage expansion on Switch 2 may be more expensive than you think.

Or we're in for another gen with awful load times on a Nintendo console. The internal storage is 2100mb/s, a 100mb/s SD isn't going to cut it.

Switch 2 will use SD cards, but probably not the ones you've been using everywhere else.

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsungs-new-microsd-cards-bring-high-performance-and-capacity-for-the-new-era-in-mobile-computing-and-on-device-ai

Hopefully the dock also has an nvme slot or at least support for USB SSDs.

But the problem is that the Nintendo switch 2 must be able to switch from dock to undocked, even in the middle of game session, instantly.
Dock having any storage would break the concept.
I think we wont have a solution. Even the new SD cards are limited to around 800~900 mb/s. Would developers limit the games due to these speed?
And even if it accepts it, you wouldnt be able to use your switch 2 games on you regular SD card. It is tricky.

If devs plan to use all the 2.1Gb/s, it will only be able to load from SSD, so I think the only solution would be to limit the game sizes (64gb maybe), and reserve this space on the SSD to the current games. Open a new game that is not on SSD would delete whichever has on the 64Gb it and load it to this space. So, i think opening a SD card game (at least the minimum amount to allow to open the game) can be potentially a rather long process.

I don't think SD card speeds are much of an issue - PC games work perfectly fine on standard SSD drives, which are limited to ~550MB/s. Anything that is not HDD is fine for now.

The reason why HDD's suck has much less to do with bandwidth/throughput and more to do with latency.

I have a 4 TB external SATA SSD that benchmarks about 350 MBps reads, and it plays modern games fine on PC. Load times are slightly slower than using the internal NVME drives, but not noticeably so.

Last edited by sc94597 - on 20 September 2024

Around the Network

Hmm, maybe. There are a bunch of next gen microSD solutions out there. I don't  *think* nintendo will pull a vita since they saw how *that* crash and burn, for one.

The bigger question is will games run straight out the cart, and if it does, how fast is the cart speeds. If the new carts go around 1Gb/s then the newer high speed 800mb/s cards would do fine.

I don't think that running games from SD cards will be a problem at all. I'm gaming a lot on my Legion Go and Steam Deck and put a lot of games on SD card. I didn't encounter any problems with that, even with more demanding games like RDR2, Horizon: Forbidden West or something. Not even the loading times are an issue. So I really don't see why Switch 2 games should be a problem, especially since I don't think the console will be significantly more powerful than the Legion Go. Maybe even a little weaker to get better battery life and a smaller form factor.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

sc94597 said:

The reason why HDD's suck has much less to do with bandwidth/throughput and more to do with latency.

I have a 4 TB external SATA SSD that benchmarks about 350 mbps reads, and it plays modern games fine on PC. Load times are slightly slower than using the internal NVME drives, but not noticeably so.

Well, HDDs are slower, no way around it, even in sequential large file reads/writes. But that's bearable. Where they really suck is small files, that's where they really fall of the cliff in performance.

Descent SD cards will be more than enough.

Zippy6 said:

Was just about to post this thread, will put it here lol:

Photos of Switch 2 factory prototypes have leaked on a Chinese website

This is not official so not 100% confirmed but it looks legitimate to me. The actual image of the circuit board compared to the 3d renders posted lines up perfectly. You can see the additional USB-C port next to the audio jack and the cartridge slot so the 3d renders and the circuit board photo are for the same product. Of course it could be faked but I'd put money on this being a legitimate leak. Pictures below.

Specs

SoC: GMLX30-R-A1
Ram: 12gb LPDDR5X 7500MT/s  (MT62F768M64D4EK-026 (6GX2 dual channel, LPDDR5X, 7500 MT/s))
Storage: 256gb UFS 3.1, 2100MB/s  (THGJFGT1E45BAILHW0 manufactured by Kaixia)

Basically just product codes below, will be cooled by a dual fan setup though.

Audio chip model: Ruiwu ALC5658-CG.
NFC reader model: NXP IPN7160B1HN
Built-in microphone model: CMB-MIC-X7.
Dual cooling fans, model BSM0405HPJH9 and BSM0505HPJQC (copper gaming heat sink).
Video signal conversion (DisplayPort to HDMI) must be chip model; Ruixian RTD2175N must be chip (support HDMI 2.1).
Network chip model: Ruiming RTL8153B-VB-CG and Gigabit Ethernet chip (the base has a network cable interface).
Microcontroller chip model: STMicroelectronics JSTM32G0OB0OCET6.
Video game console protective case model: HGU1100 (size: 206 x 115 x 14mm, made of plastic).
Speakers: MUSE BOX-L and MUSE BOX-R (two-channel stereo).

Just for completeness, LPDDR5-7500 has a bandwidth of 60GB/s, meaning that in dual-channel it would reach 120GB/s. This would be quite a jump over the Switch, as that one has LPDDR3/4-1600 (OG Switch had LPDDR3, models from 2019 and later have LPDDR4 with the same speed), resulting in a paltry 25.6GB/s

Zippy6 said:

"For the first time in the industry, Samsung introduced a new high-performance microSD card based on the SD Express interface. The development was the result of a successful collaboration with a customer to create a custom product."

SD cards with up to 800MB/s speeds. Would work well for Switch 2 games but could be expensive memory cards.

SD Express is from June 2018 and thus is almost as old as the Switch itself, and yet I haven't ever seen any SD card with that standard. In fact, I haven't seen any from the previous standard, UHS III, either yet. UHS II cards that make full use of the bus are already very expensive, clocking in at $100+ for an 128GB card, so I'm not sure I even want to see what UHS III or even SD Express cards would cost. 

If Nintendo really wants to use some existing memory card, they should rather opt for CFexpress. Like SD Express they use PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 for the data transfer, but while SD express is limited to 1 (7.0 specification) or 2 lanes (9.0 and newer), CFexpress uses up to 4 lanes, though then the card is physically about twice the size of an SD card. The most common CFexpress cards are type B (2 PCIe lanes) and slightly larger than SD cards, meaning they are much larger than the microSD cards used in the Switch - but I doubt any microSD card has enough physical space to put enough lanes for fast transfer speeds on it's back.

CFexpress also comes in many sizes, from the more humble 128GB with 1.6GB/s to cards like this 1.6TB card with 3.5GB/s read speed (seriously with this size and speed, you could use that one like a hot-swappable SSD in a PC), giving them enough storage space for a handheld console and a wider price range. They're not exactly cheap, but I don't think SD Express will be any cheaper.

But I was told it could not exceed 111GB lol. I kept saying 120 was what was listed. 95GB jump aint too shabby.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!