By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

Radek said:

Ryzen 7 5700X3D? Lol Ryzen 5 5600 for 120€ already destroys PS5 CPU.

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to avoid the "It's just 6 cores vs 8 cores" comments.

And I pointed out below that this build would be much more powerful on the CPU side.

Around the Network
burning_phoneix said:
BonfiresDown said:

It’s a 55% price increase over the base PS5 for 45% more raster performance. But you also get significantly better image reconstruction, better RT and over twice the storage. Seems fair to me. Only problem is the weak CPU.

Back in the day, after 4 years we got a new console with much better performance for the same price as the old console. The PS2 didn't cost twice as much as a PS1 at launch despite being a way more powerful system.

Yeah. I feel bad for the young people today who didn't get to experience true generational leaps. Going from Super Mario 3, to DKC, to OOT and then to MGS2 in a ten year span? Are you freakin' kidding me? Look at games from ten years ago (GTA5, for instance) and compare them to current gen. There is almost zero improvements going on. It's really sad.

haxxiy said:
Chrkeller said:

I read a couple of tech articles; they have the ps5 pro GPU same as a RX6800. Amazon has one for £350, which is not remotely close to a £1,000 GPU.

The PS5 Pro is 60 CUs RDNA3.5, according to leaks, the closest equivalent being a slightly underclocked RX7800 with better RT.

Since I have a 4090, which isn't even twice as fast on raster, I'm not going to complain on their premium pricing.

The RTX 4090 is twice as fast on raster in UHD compared to a normal clocked RX7800 XT:

The difference is only smaller in lower resolutions due to bottlenecks.

Due to enhanced Raytracing, the RTX 4070 (non-super) is probably a better PS5 Pro comparison than an underclocked RX 7800 XT:

Dante9 said:

People are more than happy to pay more than 1000$ for a new phone and lock themselves into one ecosystem, so yeah. A 300$ phone will do the same things as the expensive one, but people want the latest thing and just shovel their money away to get it. PS5 Pro, though? No no no, it's bad, it's doom. Come on. It's the same thing, people, some of us want to pay top dollar for the seemingly better thing.
I don't understand the moaning about the Pro. It's another option but it's not mandatory, the base model will be just fine. I don't know what they were expecting, that it would be cheaper than the base model?

A mobile phone does way more than any Playstation.  

"PS5 Pro, though? No no no, it's bad, it's doom" 

Yes, this is very bad.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:
Dante9 said:

People are more than happy to pay more than 1000$ for a new phone and lock themselves into one ecosystem, so yeah. A 300$ phone will do the same things as the expensive one, but people want the latest thing and just shovel their money away to get it. PS5 Pro, though? No no no, it's bad, it's doom. Come on. It's the same thing, people, some of us want to pay top dollar for the seemingly better thing.
I don't understand the moaning about the Pro. It's another option but it's not mandatory, the base model will be just fine. I don't know what they were expecting, that it would be cheaper than the base model?

A mobile phone does way more than any Playstation.  

"PS5 Pro, though? No no no, it's bad, it's doom" 

Yes, this is very bad.

I would take that a step further and say that a phone has become integral to everyone's day to day life. You never go anywhere without your phone and you're in a panic if you can't find it because your entire life is on that phone. 

A PS5 Pro is for your hobby. 

Around the Network
JackHandy said:
burning_phoneix said:

Back in the day, after 4 years we got a new console with much better performance for the same price as the old console. The PS2 didn't cost twice as much as a PS1 at launch despite being a way more powerful system.

Yeah. I feel bad for the young people today who didn't get to experience true generational leaps. Going from Super Mario 3, to DKC, to OOT and then to MGS2 in a ten year span? Are you freakin' kidding me? Look at games from ten years ago (GTA5, for instance) and compare them to current gen. There is almost zero improvements going on. It's really sad.

While improvements are indeed a lot slower than they used to be this is part is not true at all. There is still a big difference in visuals between the best looking games from a decade ago and now. Hellblade 2 destroys any 2014 game in terms of graphics for example and there will be many more UE5 titles in the coming years.

JackHandy said:
burning_phoneix said:

We went from MGS1 to MGS2 in less than three years and GTA 2 to GTA 3 is about two years. That was mind blowing at the time. We can still get that with VR though, they are constantly leaping and blowing minds with that tech but it's an expensive little bugger of a train ride to stay boarded on. 

Conina said:

The RTX 4090 is twice as fast on raster in UHD compared to a normal clocked RX7800 XT:

The difference is only smaller in lower resolutions due to bottlenecks.

Due to enhanced Raytracing, the RTX 4070 (non-super) is probably a better PS5 Pro comparison than an underclocked RX 7800 XT:

I was specifically looking at TPU, which is usually the most reliable outlet for that sort of thing. Regardless, margin of error and all. It doesn't change the point, so that's just fine letters.

As for RT, I agree. Doubling the 6700 non-XT's RT performance lands more or less around the 4070.

Kristof81 said:

Do you really think that PS5pro's GPU is equivalent to 7900 XTX or RTX4080!? Oh holy LOL :D

No, and if that's what you took away from my post then you are making the same mistake at lot of uninformed commentators are making.

No, the PS5 Pro is not nearly as good as an RTX 4080.  But it doesn't need to be to get the same result; and that's the point here.

Think about it.  Sony / Nixxes themselves say that to get 4k / 60fps with high Ray Tracing on PC with Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, you will need:

Source: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/pc/

But look at the videos both Sony and CNet have released of the same game running on PS5 Pro.

It is also running at 4k 60 fps with high Ray Tracing.

But because the PS5 Pro GPU & CPU are much lower than this, then how is it able to do it?

--------

The answer is PSSR.

And this is where a lot of people are getting it wrong. 

Unlike a 4080 which is natively rendering a 4K image, the PS5 Pro is not.  It's using AI to upscale a lower resolution up to 4K.

This is the big paradigm shift in graphics rendering.  AI is upscaling a lower resolution image to make it look identical to a native 4K image.

So no, the GPU is PS5 Pro is no where near a 4080.  But it doesn't need to be because this is the start of the big AI paradigm shift in graphics rendering.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

...You know there's AI upscaling on PC as well, right? You don't need to run this game natively in 4K on PC.

In fact, there's AI upscaling even on the base PS5. This is nothing new.