By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

haxxiy said:
Chrkeller said:

I read a couple of tech articles; they have the ps5 pro GPU same as a RX6800. Amazon has one for £350, which is not remotely close to a £1,000 GPU.

The PS5 Pro is 60 CUs RDNA3.5, according to leaks, the closest equivalent being a slightly underclocked RX7800 with better RT.

Since I have a 4090, which isn't even twice as fast on raster, I'm not going to complain on their premium pricing.

In just one console generation some people just stopped to care about how console manufacturers make money with hundreds of millions of sold games, in-game transactions, services, extra hardware for that console and other stuff...congratulations. 

Why do we somehow compare just the hardware itself? Consoles are supposed to offer much more bang for the buck because of their many other revenue streams for their sold consoles. They weren't supposed to be a decent deal just compared to the pure hardware costs of a PC.

Around the Network

800€ PS5 Pro may still be cheaper, but lack of true settings configuration and outdated Zen 2 Will haunt you in the long run. Unless you are 100% fine with limitations of a console.

https://geizhals.eu/wishlists/3887103

1000 euro build in Germany, for reference with 7700 XT with far superior Zen 4 CPU. I could make a cheaper one if I tried.

Keep in mind that most players have physical copies of PS4 and PS5 games so they need to pay additional 100 euro for Blu-Ray drive, so it makes it 900€ minimum.

Last edited by Radek - on 11 September 2024

crissindahouse said:

In just one console generation some people just stopped to care about how console manufacturers make money with hundreds of millions of sold games, in-game transactions, services, extra hardware for that console and other stuff...congratulations. 

Why do we somehow compare just the hardware itself? Consoles are supposed to offer much more bang for the buck because of their many other revenue streams for their sold consoles. They weren't supposed to be a decent deal just compared to the pure hardware costs of a PC.

Consoles have always been more or less like this regarding hardware costs (cheaper than the sum of their PC components to a moderate extent).

The thing is that chip manufacturing costs have been skyrocketing in the newer nodes. It isn't going to be sustainable anymore to keep the same console prices unless they drastically change how their services work or opt for outdated hardware like Nintendo.

Besides, this is a premium product, so of course they're making money directly on it. It's not a mass-market console.

OP you have opened a can of worms, but you are correct, especially with UK/EU prices being miles more expensive regarding PC parts (US taxes are miles less in most states, nobody bother bringing it up). I will not deny it is expensive for a games console though, I have already stated as much in the other thread. 

only777 said:

Let's move past the internet reaction farmers and actually do our homework on this thing based upon what we can actually see.

Lets take a game that is on both PS5 and PC and work this out.  Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, we were shown PS5 Pro Footage here:

Using PSSR, we have a gaming that visually is running at 4k 60fps with ray tracing on the PS5 Pro.  It's right there in the video.

So if we want the same on PC, what do we need to use?  Well we have the recommending specs right here: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/pc/

It says we need:

• Avg. performance: 4K @ 60 fps
  • Graphic settings: High/Ray-tracing very high1
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 or AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K or AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • Storage: 75 GB SSD space

So let's price that:

Before we have even added a motherboard, SSD, PSU, etc we are up to £1325!

I'm not saying that £800 for a PS5 Pro is cheap, it's not.  That's a lot of money for a games console, but I think a bit of perspective here is in order.

To build a PC yourself (if you know how!) to match the advertised output of a PS5 Pro is going to cost upwards of £1500!

Again, I'm not saying PS5 Pro is cheap, it absolutely is not.  I'm just saying that if you are in the market for a high end device, then all of a sudden it does become a viable option.

You're comparing native 4k/60fps with RT on PC with PSSR upscaled 4k/60fps with RT on PS5 Pro. On PC you can also upscale with DLSS (NVidia), FSR (AMD) or XeSS (Intel). We also don't know if PSSR includes some frame generation, which AMD and NVidia also offer.

Another thing to note is that we don't know is what the settings are on PS5 Pro. On baseline PS5 we're currently hovering around medium settings compared to the PC versions. Going by the 45% performance increase claimed in the presentation, the Pro will will be more like high settings but not reaching Ultra settings.

In the other thread, I calculated what a PC with similar or better performance would cost. I'm copying the build here below:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X3D tray (174€)
  • Mainboard: gigabyte B550 mATX (76€)
  • GPU: Radeon RX 7700XT Hellhound (399€)
  • Storage: 2TB Kingston NV2 PCIe 4.0 (104€)
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill Aegis DR4-3200 (49€)
  • Tower: AeroCool Shard (36€)
  • Tower Fans: 3x Xilence XPF PWM 120mm fans (11€ for 3)
  • CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Pure Rock slim 2 (24€)
  • PSU: Be Quiet! System power 750W 80+ Bronze (69€)
  • OS: Linux (Garuda or Nobara distros are great both for gaming and as a daily driver, or SteamOS if you prefer): 0€

Which gives us a fully functioning gaming PC for... 942€, so just 143€ more than the PS5 Pro in Europe (and about the same as PS5 + disc drive + stand!), while probably being about as strong or even more powerful, especially on the CPU side. And PC games tend to be cheaper and you don't have to pay extra for such basic things like cloud saves or online play...

In other words, PS5 pro ain't much cheaper than PC gaming.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 11 September 2024

Around the Network
only777 said:

Let's move past the internet reaction farmers and actually do our homework on this thing based upon what we can actually see.

Lets take a game that is on both PS5 and PC and work this out.  Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, we were shown PS5 Pro Footage here:

Using PSSR, we have a gaming that visually is running at 4k 60fps with ray tracing on the PS5 Pro.  It's right there in the video.

Sorry, that video doesn't give any information about the PSSR quality level (quality, balanced, performance), the native resolution, the raytracing settings, the texture settings, the shadow settings... of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

So a comparison with PC performance doesn't make any sense at this point.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

You're comparing native 4k/60fps with RT on PC with PSSR upscaled 4k/60fps with RT on PS5 Pro. On PC you can also upscale with DLSS (NVidia), FSR (AMD) or XeSS (Intel). We also don't know if PSSR includes some frame generation, which AMD and NVidia also offer.

Another thing to note is that we don't know is what the settings are on PS5 Pro. On baseline PS5 we're currently hovering around medium settings compared to the PC versions. Going by the 45% performance increase claimed in the presentation, the Pro will will be more like high settings but not reaching Ultra settings.

In the other thread, I calculated what a PC with similar or better performance would cost. I'm copying the build here below:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X3D tray (174€)
  • Mainboard: gigabyte B550 mATX (76€)
  • GPU: Radeon RX 7700XT Hellhound (399€)
  • Storage: 2TB Kingston NV2 PCIe 4.0 (104€)
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill Aegis DR4-3200 (49€)
  • Tower: AeroCool Shard (36€)
  • Tower Fans: 3x Xilence XPF PWM 120mm fans (11€ for 3)
  • CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Pure Rock slim 2 (24€)
  • PSU: Be Quiet! System power 750W 80+ Bronze (69€)
  • OS: Linux (Garuda or Nobara distros are great both for gaming and as a daily driver, or SteamOS if you prefer): 0€

Which gives us a fully functioning gaming PC for... 942€, so just 143€ more than the PS5 Pro in Europe (and about the same as PS5 + disc drive + stand!), while probably being about as strong or even more powerful, especially on the CPU side. And PC games tend to be cheaper and you don't have to pay extra for such basic things like cloud saves or online play...

In other words, PS5 pro ain't much cheaper than PC gaming.

And you're being generous with that Ryzen 7 5700X3D! At least in terms of performance.

Conina said:
only777 said:

Sorry, that video doesn't give any information about the PSSR quality level (quality, balanced, performance), the native resolution, the raytracing settings, the texture settings, the shadow settings... of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

So a comparison with PC performance doesn't make any sense at this point.

Most console gamers, best guess, think ps5 games run at ultra settings.  I say that because I was one of them.  I had no idea ps5 games were a mix of low and high.  When I got into PC gaming I was blown away by what ultra settings actually means.  

And to be clear on my part, I still think console gaming is cheaper.  My only beef was suggesting a 4080 was required to match the Pro.  A 4080 spanks the Pro.  If we are going to do a comparison it should be fairer.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Ryzen 7 5700X3D? Lol Ryzen 5 5600 for 120€ already destroys PS5 CPU.

BonfiresDown said:

It’s a 55% price increase over the base PS5 for 45% more raster performance.

It's a 75% price increase over the PS5 launch price (digital edition in US).

It's a 100% price increase over the PS5 launch price (digital edition in Europe).