By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What do you think the future of global society looks like?

Sorry Legit, but building a NEW style nuclear reactor is far more complex than building real estate.  I don't trust China. What are their biggest scientific accomplishments?  And which were ground breaking?

Around the Network
shavenferret said:

Hydrogen seems like part of a solution, definitely.  But it takes massive amounts of electricity and equipment, and so it works better within buildings, and large vehicles such as ships or perhaps train engines.  Mabey it can power a plane someday if it gets reliable enough.   

But vehicles?   I don't know if moving to electric vehicles could be possible.  There's only so much lithium as well.   

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a41103863/hydrogen-cars-fcev/

HFCVs are widely considered as safe as any other car; since the high-pressure tanks are designed to survive even the highest-speed crashes without leaking or breaching.

Of course it makes more sense to expand public transport which is severely lacking in NA. Yet that also requires redesign of cities.

Plane is coming https://www.airbus.com/en/innovation/energy-transition/hydrogen/zeroe 2035 but no doubt will face delays.

BFR said:

In my opinion, China builds crap products.  Does anyone trust China to build an advanced nuclear reactor that could become the next Chernobyl?

Heck, I just bought a new battery for my car last week, cost me $140.  My original battery (made in Japan) lasted me 9 years, the salesman tells me that this new replacement one will only last 3 years. Yeah, gotta love the crap made in China.

Those are made to break. Just like refrigerators nowadays. Older stuff lasts longer.

It's not that China makes crappy products, it's that there is a huge demand for crappy (cheap) products. You have choice to buy better
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/best-car-battery-brands/
But if you want stuff that lasts you'll need a time machine :/

Anyway Thorium Salt reactors are very safe, no Chernobyl possible. And the big advantage of them is, no need to build them near water. (And get flooded by a tsunami)

BFR said:

Sorry Legit, but building a NEW style nuclear reactor is far more complex than building real estate.  I don't trust China. What are their biggest scientific accomplishments?  And which were ground breaking?

For 2022 here's a list

https://academic.oup.com/nsr/article/10/4/nwad058/7070744

1. Discoveries by the Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical radio Telescope
2. Construction completed at China Space Station
3. Discoveries of common genes in corn and rice to improve yields
4. Discovery of metallic behaviors in a bosonic high-temperature superconductor
5. Artificial synthesis of glucose and fatty acids from CO2
6. Successful debut of China's most powerful solid-propellant carrier rocket: Lijian-1 (ZK-1A)
7. Successful launch of the Kuafu-1 satellite: Advanced Space-based Solar Observatory (ASO-S)
8. Hydrogen generation technology to electrolyze seawater without desalination
9. World record of highest magnetic field broken by China's Steady High Magnetic Field Facility
10. Earth Summit Mission set multiple records at Mount Qomolangma

SvennoJ said:
BFR said:

For 2022 here's a list

6. Successful debut of China's most powerful solid-propellant carrier rocket: Lijian-1 (ZK-1A)
7. Successful launch of the Kuafu-1 satellite: Advanced Space-based Solar Observatory (ASO-S)
9. World record of highest magnetic field broken by China's Steady High Magnetic Field Facility

Seriously, SJ.

Has China put its citizens on the Moon? Or has any other country on planet Earth done what the USA has done?

BFR said:
SvennoJ said:

For 2022 here's a list

Seriously, SJ.

Has China put its citizens on the Moon? Or has any other country on planet Earth done what the USA has done?

No one has put anyone on the moon in over half a century. What's your point?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
BFR said:
SvennoJ said:

For 2022 here's a list

Seriously, SJ.

I'm a CCP critic as much as any sane person should be but this infrastructure, military and scientific development aren't areas you can really criticise. You can easily point out that they are using citizens and some nefarious tactics to steal US and European public and private research but ya can't criticise them on actually getting shit done effectively. Maybe some smaller building companies try to fast track development or end up fucking up but that happens even more in the west. We have a whole fuck up here in Ireland alone where people were tricked into building with Pyrite and now hundreds of houses are falling apart due to a slew of fuck ups and nasty practices. The odd road and building falling apart in China is par for the course and I'd honestly have expected it to be happening more with the shear speed of development. 

Top image is 1990, second is 2010. Might not be as crazy as the UAE but they did not suddenly come into godly amounts of oil money. 

If you believe all of this high speed rail to be defective then your head is defective. No one would be using it if it were killing people. 

They'll be on the Moon yet if they have reason to be there. I seen an Article where India was joining them in a proposition to build a nuclear reactor on the Moon to be able to power a human base. Oh and they did this, this year...

June 25 2024 marked a new “first” in the history of spaceflight. China’s robotic Chang’e 6 spacecraft delivered samples of rock back to Earth from a huge feature on the Moon called the south pole–Aitken basin. After touching down on the Moon’s “far side”, on the southern rim of the Apollo crater, Chang’e 6 came back with around 1.9kg of rock and soil, according to the China National Space Administration (CNSA).

Seriously. China aren't just taking the world by storm with Wukong, they have the potential to actually take the world by storm in every aspect of life. 

BFR said:
SvennoJ said:

For 2022 here's a list

Seriously, SJ.

The USA landed man on the moon in 1969.
You bet China has the technology today to do the same today, they may be behind technologically to most western nations, but they aren't half a century or more behind.

Most nations have the technical capability to do it... The question is if they have the political and financial incentive to do it? Unlikely... And I would argue the USA lacks the ambition to reach for the stars these days as well... Politically the USA is more focused on the southern border and immigrants eating pets than anything actually ambitious and noteworthy on the world stage.

China is potentially set to be a larger economy than the USA in the next decade, they are the country to watch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

LegitHyperbole said:

Nuclear energy is so much safer these days. It's such a pity we aren't using it. Chinas over there building a thorium reactor and we're freezing grannies to death in the name of renewable energy.

Also, these thorium reactors exist at the experimental level today.  Just because something exists at the experimental stage today is no guarantee it will be commercially viable soon.

"By 2019 two of the reactors were under construction in the Gobi desert, with completion expected around 2025. China expects to put thorium reactors into commercial use by 2030."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power#China

Pem: "And I would argue the USA lacks the ambition to reach for the stars these days as well."

We have two functioning rovers on Mars. Name me another country that has even one functioning rover on Mars.

Wanna go further than Mars?

"Voyager 1 is the most distant man-made object in space, currently 164.7 Astronomical Units (AU) from Earth. It's traveling at a speed of 38,026.79 miles per hour (17.0 kilometers per second) relative to the Sun."

Last edited by BFR - on 17 September 2024

BFR said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Nuclear energy is so much safer these days. It's such a pity we aren't using it. Chinas over there building a thorium reactor and we're freezing grannies to death in the name of renewable energy.

Also, these thorium reactors exist at the experimental level today.  Just because something exists at the experimental stage today is no guarantee it will be commercially viable soon.

"By 2019 two of the reactors were under construction in the Gobi desert, with completion expected around 2025. China expects to put thorium reactors into commercial use by 2030."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power#China

Yeah. It's not an easy technology to build. The molten salt design is more interesting to me anyway, make a uranium reactor with that and I'd feel safer. We in Europe and the US should be leaning into Nuclear regardless of wheter it's thorium or not but there's too much money to be made. Why give us cheap clean energy, pfft.