By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital distribution console players, when did you go all (or near-all) digital?

When did you go all (or near-all) digital?

Before 2012 (specify) 0 0%

2012 2 20.00%

2013 1 10.00%

2014 0 0%

2015 1 10.00%

2016 1 10.00%

2017 0 0%

2018 1 10.00%

2019 0 0%

2020 or later (specify) 4 40.00%

Total:10

When I got my PS5. All games on that console are digital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Autumn 2012, when 3DS retail games went on the EShop. That was the last system I'd bought physical media for.
It's too convenient not to do digital purchases.

Did you have a 360, PS3, or Wii U?

The download times on those consoles is so long, and from what I remember so is 3DS. I wouldn't have the patience to go all-digital on those consoles (unless they stopped reading physical games) and have the downloads for the retail games take so long. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

About the time The Phantom Pain came out. I had gotten a few digital titles before that like Destiny and a few indies but after loading TPP off of the disk and it taking forever to install I just gave in and started downloading digitally and I'm better for it. Bought a few disked games since, I can't see the fuss. Digital is better as long as Sony or Nintendo don't completely financially collapse. My digital library is the longest lasting and largest library I've had. Ps1 games all went missing, sold my ps2 collection to buy a HD TV with my PS3, lost my entire PS3 and 360 collection. This is the longest I've had a collection of games even if they are ethereal, I can go straight to the store now and download whatever I want and I have plenty of space to line up games well before I play them as well as keep my favourite games in folders for quick access. I wouldn't wanna go back to disc based gaming, it's to inconvenient, takes too much space, becomes a worry when the library gets large enough, disc cleaning sucks, they always seem to get stuck in the wrong case and end up searching for them, you have to install them anyway and end up having to download essential patches. The only reason I'd want a game on a disc is to revert to the games 1.0 version for glitches but since I Ron's trophy hunt anymore I don't even need that.

As soon as I got PS4/Pro in 2018. Realised I could share games with my brother digitally if we set up each others PS4's as our primary.

Never

Around the Network
pavel1995 said:

Never

One of us. One of us. One of us. 

You'll have no option, I'm sorry but they already started transitioning at the start of 9th gen. They are doing the ebay tactic of slowly changing the background colour over time. You'll own nothing and be happy so just get used to it or don't buy games at all.