By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch 2 finally be powerful enough and popular enough to get Nintendo all the top games?

LegitHyperbole said:
sc94597 said:

Where does your certainty come from here? Not saying it isn't a possibility, but it isn't clear why you're certain.

At the end of the day people buy new platforms for the games. If the Switch 2 has the games people want to buy and no other platform does, they have no choice but to buy one if they want to play those games. Nintendo is positioned a lot better when it comes to having exclusive system sellers than other platforms, and they are much less likely to maintain support for the original Switch beyond a few years (unlike what we've seen with the 8th -> 9th gen transition for the other consoles.) 

My prior is that there likely will be a decline compared to Switch, given that it is hard to maintain #1/#2 lifetime platform sales, but I am nowhere near certain it will be "quite a large margin" or "3DS level." 

There is a lot more uncertainty than certainty when it comes to generational transitions. 

My opinion. It's a feeling I get way down in my center, I just know it. There's not much Nintendo can do to market this thing to propose people who have a switch to fork over for another platform. If they don't do BC, they're screwed cause of peoples digital libraries/online etc. If they do BC, why upgrade. They're screwed no matter what angle they come across on this and the best they can hope for is a 3DS situation. Just my prediction, like based off of what I can see what has come before. Nintendo tend to have a track record of screwing up the next system after a successful system too. There's that. 

That doesn't make any sense? People will upgrade to play new games. They won't release games for the Switch forever, and when the next Zelda, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, 3D Mario, and other games release only on the successor then people will upgrade

I mean, people did upgrade to the PS5, and there's still lots of games still releasing on the PS4 to this day. If they don't do some Wii U levels of fuck up a iterative Switch 2 can still easily sell 100m+ imo.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

I mean, with an awesome line up with a little help from third parties they have a proven track record. But also they have some struggles as well. Only difference now is they have all their eggs in one basket. If the Switch 2 fails, if they do not handle it right, Nintendo could finally be a third party. There is no handheld or Home console to save their sales. This is their only system. Sure the Switch will continue to push sales for years like the Wii did for the Wii U. But even that will only go so far. They have to treat their fans right, or they will bail on them like many systems before.

I think they Switch has been given plenty of life. They do not need to dump the system right off the bat, but shouldn't do a A bunch more big games for it once the Switch 2 is officially announced.

They have to treat fan right?  Lol, this is Nintendo.  I love their software but they aren't exactly consumer friendly.

VC games didn't carry over from the Wii U, Switch hasn't had a price cut since launch, straight up ports of Wii U games at full price, rarely drops the price of their games.  

Nintendo isn't consumer friendly.  I would argue they are pretty anti consumer as a whole.  I think, could be wrong, you still can't post videos of their games on YouTube without permission. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

With all of Nintendo's resources and software output now focused on a single device, which will almost certainly be portable, the chances of another Wii U disaster are minimal.

Even if they shoot themselves in the foot again, it's much more likely to be another 3DS; they sell around half of the current Switch, but still enough to turn a healthy profit and keep themselves relevant until they can regroup and try again with the next one.

KratosLives said:

We all know the switch 2 will be like the first, and have a portable device. Right? So thee question is, is it possible to have a hand held with the power of of ps5 or a ps 4.7, considering ps5 would have been out for nearly 5 years by the time switch 2 launches.

Yes. But at a lower resolution.

Tegra has come a long way and nVidia's GPU technology is far more advanced than AMD's, especially in regards to efficiency.
Where AMD has some key notable advantages is actually on the CPU side of the equation.

In saying that... It would not come cheap, you will need a bigger battery to drive the TDP and other costs will blow out.

The real question is... Can it be done affordably? The answer to that is a no...
But Nintendo doesn't have to, cutting back on resolution will significantly reduce those demands.

Chrkeller said:

I don't know what to tell you.  I mean we can keep dancing but I'm standing by my hands on hundred plus hours.

I have provided evidence, you haven't.
So this discussion is entirely in my favor. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Chrkeller said:

The S2 likely isn't going to match my 3050 + 16 gb ram + 12 gen i5.  

No one is claiming anything to the contrary.
The device isn't even out yet, making any such comparisons useless anyway.

The fact is... Mobile handhelds with a less efficient Radeon GPU and 100GB/s of bandwidth are playing Playstation 5 games.
You do need to come to terms with that, because it's reality... And it's something to be excited about.

LegitHyperbole said:

There's a chance that the Switch 2 could be a Wii U situation. Perhaps not that bad but it's not out of the question. Could also ve a 3DS situation but lord knows it won't be an OG Switch situation.

Anything is possible.

But Nintendo had the opportunity to present the Switch in more form factors and sell more hardware units but didn't.

...I still want my Switch TV... No dock, no display, no joycons, no battery... Just a simple and small device that can play Switch games.

So there are some extra opportunities available, should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

sc94597 said:

Sure, but the question was about getting "all" or even really most third party support. I interpret this to mean when we expect most games to come to Switch 2 and it would be unusual if they didn't, rather than have the default expectation that they aren't going to come and are mildly surprised when they do. That likely requires the Switch 2 to be enough people's primary system rather than a system almost every-one has, but has as a secondary system. 

It will never get *all* or even *most*.

Rockstar couldn't even port GTA5 despite it being a 7th gen game ported to 8th gen and 9th gen consoles... The Switch is capable of running it and has a massive audience to sell games to.
...But for whatever reason, they never made it happen.

There is more to porting than just games or the size of a userbase... Company politics plays a big role as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
KratosLives said:

We all know the switch 2 will be like the first, and have a portable device. Right? So thee question is, is it possible to have a hand held with the power of of ps5 or a ps 4.7, considering ps5 would have been out for nearly 5 years by the time switch 2 launches.

Yes. But at a lower resolution.

Tegra has come a long way and nVidia's GPU technology is far more advanced than AMD's, especially in regards to efficiency.
Where AMD has some key notable advantages is actually on the CPU side of the equation.

In saying that... It would not come cheap, you will need a bigger battery to drive the TDP and other costs will blow out.

The real question is... Can it be done affordably? The answer to that is a no...
But Nintendo doesn't have to, cutting back on resolution will significantly reduce those demands.

Chrkeller said:

I don't know what to tell you.  I mean we can keep dancing but I'm standing by my hands on hundred plus hours.

I have provided evidence, you haven't.
So this discussion is entirely in my favor. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Chrkeller said:

The S2 likely isn't going to match my 3050 + 16 gb ram + 12 gen i5.  

No one is claiming anything to the contrary.
The device isn't even out yet, making any such comparisons useless anyway.

The fact is... Mobile handhelds with a less efficient Radeon GPU and 100GB/s of bandwidth are playing Playstation 5 games.
You do need to come to terms with that, because it's reality... And it's something to be excited about.

LegitHyperbole said:

There's a chance that the Switch 2 could be a Wii U situation. Perhaps not that bad but it's not out of the question. Could also ve a 3DS situation but lord knows it won't be an OG Switch situation.

Anything is possible.

But Nintendo had the opportunity to present the Switch in more form factors and sell more hardware units but didn't.

...I still want my Switch TV... No dock, no display, no joycons, no battery... Just a simple and small device that can play Switch games.

So there are some extra opportunities available, should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

sc94597 said:

Sure, but the question was about getting "all" or even really most third party support. I interpret this to mean when we expect most games to come to Switch 2 and it would be unusual if they didn't, rather than have the default expectation that they aren't going to come and are mildly surprised when they do. That likely requires the Switch 2 to be enough people's primary system rather than a system almost every-one has, but has as a secondary system. 

Rockstar couldn't even port GTA5 despite it being a 7th gen game ported to 8th gen and 9th gen consoles... The Switch is capable of running it and has a massive audience to sell games to.

There is more to porting than just games or the size of a userbase... Company politics plays a big role as well.

Lol, nothing is in your favor.  You view is from random people on the internet.  My view is from hundreds of hours over dozens and dozens games.  Tough luck for you.  Sorry, I will always stick with my hands experience with playing switch, ps4, ps5, xbox, 3050, 4070 and 4090.      

I don't suspect in 3-5 years my 3050 is going to run AAA third party.  100 gb/s being enough today isn't on topic to my point.  I am questioning if it will be enough 5 years from now.  Time will tell, but games (IMO) are only going to get more demanding.  I do think you are blatantly missing my point.  I am questioning what 100 gb/s will be like for MGS6 and RE10/11.  I'm not worried about today, I am worried about further into life cycle.    

I also think it is funny how you changed your position.  In one of the other S2 threads you posted concern about the S2 being future proof with third party via the rumored 12 gb...  but yet have done a 180 and think it is impossible that is struggles halfway through life cycle.  I agree with your original position.  I think 12 gb at 112 gb/s, 5 years from now, will be a difficult position.  Some developers will put in the efforts, other won't.  That is ALL I am saying.  And the big news flash, I am not wrong with my concerns. 

Hopefully this clarifies and lays this stupid conversation to rest.  But somehow I don't think it will.  Clearly you can't handle someone disagreeing with you.    

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Has the publisher or a developer come out and said that Rockstar couldn't get GTA5 to work on the Switch? You say that, then in the same post say that company politics play a big role as well.

As far as I know, Rockstar has never addressed why GTA5 isn't on Switch. We can't automatically blame that on the hardware, especially when the game could be ported up from older hardware.

curl-6 said:
sc94597 said:

"Most" third party (console) games probably will come to Switch 2, just perhaps not most AAA games.

Thousands of games release on consoles each year, but of those only a relative few of those are AAA. Indie, AA, and other smaller stuff will be there in force.

OP did mention "top games" in the title. While this is vague, it is clear they were implying AAA or bigger AA titles from the initial post.

Last edited by sc94597 - on 03 September 2024

Pemalite said:

sc94597 said:

There is a point in which the profit-incentive dominates "company politics." If the projected sales (and profit) potential exceeds that point, then it becomes the dominant factor. Besides, Nintendo of 2024 is a very different company from say Nintendo of 2004, and certainly a different company than Nintendo of 1994 in terms of their willingness to work with third parties and share their platform with them. 

I would expect many, or even most, japanese third party games to get Switch 2 ports. Western games less so, but if the publisher is willing to put in the effort, I reckon it would be easier to do ports than any time since the Gamecube.

What's with the sudden doom & gloom from some peeps ? Are we running again with the "historical repetition points to Nintendo f*ing up again" without understanding why the reasons of those failures to begin with ?

Like someone said, the actual worse case scenario for an ITERATIVE successor of the Switch, would be a result similar to the 3DS which arguably began its run on the worst foot with it's price and the software drought at the beginning and ended up in a fair position with 75M+ sales.

But Nintendo aren't stupid to repeat mistakes like these once they face them once and have already acknowledged those in their recent interviews.

Anywoo, like the Switch, I imagine it won't be set to receive all the possible third party games (western ones mostly) but I imagine it will be less complicated to actually have most of them without any trouble of Frankenstein-ing a version from scrap which will definitely allievate the cost-opportunity in any case.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909