By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

If you're going to chase a trend, you should probably do so in less than 8 years.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
GymratAmarillo said:
Leynos said:

The 54th best seller on PSN launch day probably is not a good sign either.

It's like Helldivers 2. Most of the big gaming sites and many haters use Helldivers 2 player numbers on steamDB to say the game has failed when in reality it's a $40 game that Sony was only expecting to sell one million (words from the AH ex CEO who still works at AH but isn't CEO anymore), it doesn't have a predatory monetization so you actually don't need to spend any money in it and the game sold 12 million as of march and is still selling on both pc and ps5 without a pricecut. They could end the servers this year (they won't) and the game still would be a huge success. SDB numbers are a good reference but they don't tell the whole story.

These people ruin the whole fun in tracking peak CCU, tracking the peak CCU of a title should just be a little fun but then when the inevitable drop happens, they'll claim the game is a failure because it is no longer pulling 500k+ players per day which is utter nonsense, plenty of developers would sell their kidney for the numbers that Helldivers 2 is still doing every single day, if it's a failure, then almost every game on the market is a failure, Lol. It's annoying, Palword gets the same criticism and it ruins the fun when people take it this seriously and make crazy assertions about inevitable drops.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 August 2024

Just so I know, do we know sales numbers?

Also what is Gass?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Why release it during wukong? Silly.

Haters gonna hate.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. A paid game in a genre with a lot of F2P competition. A brand new IP from a brand new studio. The first gameplay footage was only released a few months ago. Soft reviews.

Everyone is so eager to see this game fail. FFXIV, No Man Sky, Sea of Thieves all turned things around after bad launches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Just so I know, do we know sales numbers?

Also what is Gass?

GaaS is short for Games as a Service.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't see how this is Sony's biggest failure.

Critically it did better than The Order 1886, Drawn to Death, Entwined and Lair. Commercially, perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if Concord ended up outselling Dreams, Concrete Genie, or MediEvil in the long run. It also peaked higher than Sackboy: A Big Adventure on Steam.

The only surprising thing about this is what made Sony acquire an unproven studio.

Someone mentioned it in the PS OT, but due to having some ex Bungie developers on the team, Firewalk may end up working on a Destiny spin off, which actually isn't the worst idea, and could turn this acquisition around.

Signalstar said:

Haters gonna hate.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. A paid game in a genre with a lot of F2P competition. A brand new IP from a brand new studio. The first gameplay footage was only released a few months ago. Soft reviews.

Everyone is so eager to see this game fail. FFXIV, No Man Sky, Sea of Thieves all turned things around after bad launches.

Different situation.  You don't normally recover from numbers lower than 10-20-year-old SP and MMO games on launch. Last I saw it was at less than 400 people. 697 peak and going down on a weekend. #55th place on US PSN. You can bet the games you mentioned had better numbers than that. Suicide Squad is considered a bomb and peaked at 13k. Concord can't even hit 700.

PotentHerbs said:

I don't see how this is Sony's biggest failure.

Critically it did better than The Order 1886, Drawn to Death, Entwined and Lair. Commercially, perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if Concord ended up outselling Dreams, Concrete Genie, or MediEvil in the long run. It also peaked higher than Sackboy: A Big Adventure on Steam.

Sack Boy was 2 years old when it launched. Not a high profile game either out of a series that was losing popularity and it was a spinoff.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Signalstar said:

Haters gonna hate.

I mean, let's face it, this is an abysmal start for a game that's had 8 years of development. A new IP from an unproven studio, which means not that many people are going to wait to see if it turns around. If it cannot pick up players soon, it will be abandoned to save costs. It will be another Battleborn, but at least Battleborn didn't take the money and resources of nearly a decade to complete.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.