By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Early gen games that announced next gen is here. first 1-2 years in

You could go with many early Neo Geo AES games but I'm going with Last Resort. From the opening stage city backdrop is inspired by Akira.  Detailed sprites. Many layers. Huge sprites on bosses.  This was beyond the puny 16-bit consoles. This was a 24-bit monster. Thunder Force IV thinks it looks good?! pfft Last Resort spits all over it! Last Resort comes on a 45 Megabit Cartridge!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

You could go with many early Neo Geo AES games but I'm going with Last Resort. From the opening stage city backdrop is inspired by Akira.  Detailed sprites. Many layers. Huge sprites on bosses.  This was beyond the puny 16-bit consoles. This was a 24-bit monster. Thunder Force IV thinks it looks good?! pfft Last Resort spits all over it! Last Resort comes on a 45 Megabit Cartridge!

I'd say NEOGEO AES, being actual and at the time current arcade hardware in home console packaging, is a bit of a outlier when it comes to consoles.

PS1 - Wipeout & Crash Bandicoot
N64 - Mario 64 & Golden Eye 007
PS2 - Ridge Racer V & GTA 3
GC - Super Mario Sunshine & Windwaker
XBOX - Halo & Rallisport Challenge
NDS - Nintendogs & Mario Kart DS
PSP - Burnout Legends & GTA Liberty City Stories
XBOX 360 - PGR 3 & Halo 3
PS3 - Motorstorm & Ratchet Tools of Destruction
3DS - Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart 7
Vita - Uncharted Golden Abyss & Wipeout 2048
Wii U - Mario Kart 8
PS4 - Infamous Second Son & Driveclub
PS5 - Demon's Souls & Ratchet Rift Apart

Zippy6 said:

PS1 - Wipeout & Crash Bandicoot
N64 - Mario 64 & Golden Eye 007
PS2 - Ridge Racer V & GTA 3
GC - Super Mario Sunshine & Windwaker
XBOX - Halo & Rallisport Challenge
NDS - Nintendogs & Mario Kart DS
PSP - Burnout Legends & GTA Liberty City Stories
XBOX 360 - PGR 3 & Halo 3
PS3 - Motorstorm & Ratchet Tools of Destruction
3DS - Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart 7
Vita - Uncharted Golden Abyss & Wipeout 2048
Wii U - Mario Kart 8
PS4 - Infamous Second Son & Driveclub
PS5 - Demon's Souls & Ratchet Rift Apart

Sega genesis- sonic the hedgehog and sonic 2

super nes-street fighter 2 yes its more nextgen then mario world

I always thought Actraiser on the SNES was quite impressive. Demonstrated mode 7 scaling, or whatever it was called. Still a top notch game.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Launch games:

1. Super Mario 64 (N64) - Head & shoulders above every home console 3D experience by far upon its release. The level of 3D fluidity was hard to describe to someone who hadn't seen it yet. For Nintendo to knock it out of the park at this level on the first try was simply amazing.

2. Rogue Leader (GC) - More jaw-dropping than anything on even the Xbox at the time. A perfect launch showcase for the Gamecube hardware.

3. Soul Caliber (DC) - Instantly showed off what we could expect in the next generation and a full technical leap over Gen 5. Far better than the arcade game (as it should be) due to the much appreciated extra effort put in by Namco to take advantage of the new hardware.

But the biggest leap a year or two in for me on any console has to be Metroid Prime (GC). Seriously, this game had people looking at that little cube in disbelief that it could be producing visuals at that level at 60fps. The art style is unparalleled; every room feels unique and different due to the graphical architecture, and the effects, like steam fogging up the visor or seeing Samus' reflection, just sustained the visual amazement. I remember an EGM writer exclaiming, "it's like the best title from six years in the future fell through a time warp". A perfectly apt description, I must say.

Leynos said:

1990 MUSHA on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive. Esp in the US. Most people were used to NES. This game blew people away with it's speed. The detailed sprites. Parallax scrolling. Music. Some stages giving off a 3D look as you look down below clouds or a massive cliff. Hard to see now being 34 years later. But this game turned many heads back then. This is back when COMPILE was one of the ace developers along with Toaplan, Tecnosoft, and more and not making loli crap.

Damn, I love that game.  I remember I was shouting from the rooftops how awesome Thunder Force 3 was, and it was indeed awesome.  But when my friend got M.U.S.H.A. I was astonished by pretty much everything:  The music, the parallax (that canyon level still makes me smile) and just the overall mech/anime style.  The 16-bit era is the undisputed king of space shooters.

Archbrix beat me to it, but Soul Calibur was mindblowing in 1998

Bioshock was an early 7th gen stunner with its impressive water effects and lighting

While the game itself wasn't great, Ryse Son of Rome showcased the leap in power from the 7th gen to the 8th

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 August 2024

Virtua Fighter 4 on PS2 ushered in the 6th generation of fighting games for me.

This is cheating but where else am I going to post this? This was running on a NEC PC. This is the first HD game ever made. Hi-Ten Bomberman in 1993. 1035i. 16x9. This is basically Saturn Bomberman..however Saturn Bomberman was in SD. The video is in SD.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!