By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Astro-Bot or Zelda EoW? Clash of the 2024 September Titans

Which will sell more? Which will perform better with critics?

Astro Bot (Sales & Critical Reception) 19 22.35%

Zelda (Sales & Critical Reception) 29 34.12%

Astro Bot (Sales), Zelda (Critical Reception) 3 3.53%

Astro Bot (Critical Reception), Zelda (Sales) 34 40.00%

Total:85
rapsuperstar31 said:
firebush03 said:

Zelda has no chance LTD. Astro is looking to be a big evergreen title. With critical acclaim matching the likes of Elden Ring, Red Dead Redemption, and God of War, i see no situation in which this game doesn't blast through 10mil LTD. 

No guarantees one way or the other, it may be evergreen it may not.  It sold 21% better in it's first week in Europe than Ratchet and Clank with a much bigger install base.  Ratchet and Clank sold 3.9 million units total so far.  It sold 28,521 physical in 3 weeks in Japan.  Has Sony announced any kind of sales milestones yet for Astro?  They were quick to say what Spiderman 2 sold in it's first 24 hours.

Rift Apart passed 4 millions well over a year ago before the PC version released. It was also heavily bundled (hence the weaker digital ratio). AstroBot is yet to benefit from bundles.

Sony announces sales randomly. Gran Turismo Sport shipped 13 million copies (sold 12.7 million) as of February 2022 per the Isomniac leak. And yet Sony never officially announced figures.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247906/playstation-first-party-game-sales-leak-data-from-feb-2022/1/

A lot of games on the list above sold better than expected.

Gran Turismo 7, at like 3 or 4 times the average price of Sport, seems to have better sales and legs than Sport, and yet Sony refuses to announce anything.

Around the Network
Otter said:
BraLoD said:

Sadly I see no scenario where it comes even close to 10M, unless it's heavily bundled with PS5s from now on for at least more than a full year...

If the game breaks 5M that would make me quite happy.

Why do you doubt the games legs? 

As far as 5m, if its tracking ahead of Ratchet in Europe and Japan (this week it should overtake Ratchets Japanese 2022 total), 5m seems a given. 

Because 10M is what the biggest Sony games reach, meanwhile Sony has not been very into plaformers since the PS1 days.

I loved Astro and I wish it the best, but I would be surprised to see it selling like stuff like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Forbidden West.

Last edited by BraLoD - 5 days ago

And just like that Zelda EoW outsold lifetime sales of Asstrobot in Japan. Facts.

And more than than 10x sold 1st week compared to Asstrobot. Wait til we see Worldwide sales. Sorry Asstrobot you never had a chance. Facts.

BraLoD said:

Because 10M is what the biggest Sony games reach, meanwhile Sony has not been very into plaformers since the PS1 days.

I loved Astro and I wish it the best, but I would be surprised to see it selling like stuff like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Forbidden West.

Sony biggest actually reach 20m on PS4 (GOW/Uncharted/Horizon Zero Dawn/Spiderman/TLOU etc)

10m would be an incredible achievement and shouldn't be expected but I think its very much within the realms of possibility. 5-6m is honestly the floor (again using Ratchet as reference), so 7-8m imo is a realistic target.

For now we can only predict but I think I think the critical reception/ word of mouth actually translating into post launch week sales is what is telling. Games like Horizon did not excel in this area without bundles or price cuts, whereas Astro is reclaiming no.1 in UK/France/Switzerland in its 3rd week ahead of multiplatform titles and without much marketing push and no bundles. That's a very good indicator of an evergreen. In Japan its sales trajectory doesn't resemble any past 1st party title. This week in Japan its flat week on week and is the best selling title outside of the new releases.  

But we'll have to wait and see if this momentum continues into the holiday.

Around the Network

Astrobot is the front runner for the game of the year but Zelda is still Zelda. I expect Zelda to sell more. It will be interesting to see where Astro winds up though.

Zyphe said:

And more than than 10x sold 1st week compared to Asstrobot. Wait til we see Worldwide sales. Sorry Asstrobot you never had a chance. Facts.

Which is exactly what I said it would do one page ago.

Astro Bot showing strong legs so far.

I initially thought Astro would tap out around 5M+ lifetime sales, but with its GoTY level reviews, I can see it selling over 10M+ lifetime.

You wish.

Zyphe said:

You wish.

May i ask, just curious.

Whats the hate you have against sony/astrobot why would you not hope one of the highest reviewed 3d platformer of all time would sell 10mill units?

Only because its not mario?

Just curious.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil