Forums - Politics Discussion - EU and UK politics [OT]

The UK rioters are made up of...

The Far right 13 54.17%

Some Far right, mostly normal people. 2 8.33%

Normal everyday working class people 6 25.00%

A mix of both 3 12.50%

Total:24
LurkerJ said:

Over a decade of voting for less migration policies but no one gets what they voted for. Fanciful people on the left seeing no problems with this and have no solutions to offer, just follow Angela Merkel's "we can do this" nonsense without actually telling us how we can actually do it. (even though I am not really sure if these people actually mean what they say or just being partisan, Biden's "right wing" border policy was endorsed by the same people who lectured us on open borders for 10 years now). 

Take housing for example, we need millions of new homes to keep up with the current demand without accounting for the ridiculously high net migration. Let's look at Labour solution, 1.5 million new homes by 2029, so 300k homes every year. Simply not enough. But if you realise the pressing need for much higher numbers for new homes and you can't build them or force anyone to build them, then you have to acknowledge the consequences of this in the context of accommodating over 500k migrants a year.

Hey, the left is in power now, by all means, tax the rich and solve the issue your way and show us how "we can do it". The 300k target a year is the same one the Tories' set out but never achieved, net migration for 2022 and 2023 was over 700k per year, simply any narrative about Labour's housing plans solving any issues is a total lie because the numbers don't add up. Don't get me wrong, much better than what we had under the tories but still totally disingenuous. With how expensive housing is bankrupting the young and depriving them the chance of living a decent life no matter how higher the wages go, the dismissive attitude towards these concerns is incredibly selfish.  

Couple this measly target of new homes with Labour's plans to move illegal migrants from high end hotels and barges to rented houses around the country paid for by the government (aka tax money), and soon enough, the locals looking for rent will have more competition from the government that's trying to house illegal migrants, as if renting right now isn't a nightmare, soon you'll add 50k illegal migrants a year to the competition (without accounting for the ones already housed in hotels). 

Any rhetoric to accommodate massive number of migrants that isn't coupled with clear plans on how those migrants will be provided with housing and NHS services is a fanciful "we can do this" attitude that is detached from the struggles of the improvised communities around the country, and a slap in the face for any discussion based on numbers and stats, aka facts. I would love for Labour to prove me wrong, but they're not going based on what they told us so far. 

Angela Rayner 'turns back on Britons' as she axes plans to prioritise UK citizens over migrants on council house waiting lists

The previous Tory Government had proposed reforms which would have barred recent arrivals from applying for council homes - which Labour's new Housing Secretary has now formally shelved.

Michael Gove's proposals had included a "UK connection test", which would have meant only people who had lived in the country for 10 years or more were eligible to join the 1.3million-household-long queue for council properties.

Rayner immediately came under fire for the move, not least by Reform's Lee Anderson, who said it prioritised people "who have just arrived in our country".

Anderson said: "If you were born in this country, worked hard, paid your taxes and obeyed our laws, then not only will Labour steal your winter fuel payment - but they will also put your family at the bottom of the housing list in favour of people who have just arrived in our country. Why?"

And former Conservative minister Dame Andrea Jenkyns joined in the criticism, saying: "This is so wrong, I had a lot of former constituents waiting for years to get a house."

Amid the axing of Tory plans, the Labour Government is set to fast-track some 90,000 asylum applications from illegal migrants who had been facing deportation to Rwanda.

Two-thirds of migrants are expected to be granted the right to remain, which would enable them to qualify to apply for social housing.

Though, as a Housing Ministry spokesman highlighted, most councils already use "local connection tests" on their waiting lists.

The spokesman said: "The vast majority of councils have already adopted local connection tests, and 90 per cent of social homes go to UK nationals.

"Those who do not have a right to stay in the UK are already not eligible for social housing."

But Dr Mike Jones, executive director of Migration Watch UK, slated the Government's move, saying: "Labour isn't putting the 'national interest' first - they're putting non-citizens ahead of British people."

https://www.gbnews.com/politics/angela-rayner-migrants-council-house-waiting-lists

More of the "we can do this" BS, common sense be damned. 

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

Angela Rayner 'turns back on Britons' as she axes plans to prioritise UK citizens over migrants on council house waiting lists

The previous Tory Government had proposed reforms which would have barred recent arrivals from applying for council homes - which Labour's new Housing Secretary has now formally shelved.

Michael Gove's proposals had included a "UK connection test", which would have meant only people who had lived in the country for 10 years or more were eligible to join the 1.3million-household-long queue for council properties.

Rayner immediately came under fire for the move, not least by Reform's Lee Anderson, who said it prioritised people "who have just arrived in our country".

Anderson said: "If you were born in this country, worked hard, paid your taxes and obeyed our laws, then not only will Labour steal your winter fuel payment - but they will also put your family at the bottom of the housing list in favour of people who have just arrived in our country. Why?"

And former Conservative minister Dame Andrea Jenkyns joined in the criticism, saying: "This is so wrong, I had a lot of former constituents waiting for years to get a house."

Amid the axing of Tory plans, the Labour Government is set to fast-track some 90,000 asylum applications from illegal migrants who had been facing deportation to Rwanda.

Two-thirds of migrants are expected to be granted the right to remain, which would enable them to qualify to apply for social housing.

Though, as a Housing Ministry spokesman highlighted, most councils already use "local connection tests" on their waiting lists.

The spokesman said: "The vast majority of councils have already adopted local connection tests, and 90 per cent of social homes go to UK nationals.

"Those who do not have a right to stay in the UK are already not eligible for social housing."

But Dr Mike Jones, executive director of Migration Watch UK, slated the Government's move, saying: "Labour isn't putting the 'national interest' first - they're putting non-citizens ahead of British people."

https://www.gbnews.com/politics/angela-rayner-migrants-council-house-waiting-lists

Reads like a right wing hit piece that slipped in three lines - highlighted in bold - to cover their butts.

Once you ignore the far-right quotes in the article and focus on the facts, all it says is that migrants can apply for housing and will be put on the waiting list, but the vast majority of councils opt to give homes to people who are either lifelong UK citizens or have been in the country for 10+ years.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

LegitHyperbole said:
Ryuu96 said:

This was sick and once again, fake news bullshit heavily amplified by Twitter and Twitter influencers, twats like Andrew Tate and JK Rowling spreading their vile hatred. Italian boxer cried and so because Imane doesn't conform to their beauty standards, she must be a man, oh and the banned, Russian-influenced governing body banned Imane after she beat a Russian boxer but provided no proof for their claims.

JK Rowling still banging on about it, I knew it was only a matter of time before her insanity extended to born-females. The only thing you need to know to know that it was bullshit in the first place is she's from frigging Algeria, a country with such extreme anti-LGBTQ laws that it's more likely that Algeria would have thrown Imane in prison than send her to represent them if she really was trans.

Hope she wins gold, she deserves it after the shit everyone put her through.

Yeah, its pretty fucked up. She had developmental defects that make her more manly. Yeah, it makes no sense but like myself people won't look further into it, I only got the true facts cause Alanah researched it. She would have been stoned or decapitated if she was transgender, never mind making it to the Olympics. But in the defence of people still misinformed, her voice really does sound like she's a man imitating a woman, honestly. 

It's not confirmed she has developmental defects either. I'm not going to lecture you too hard but I hope you learn from this and why you should look further into things, especially with things such as this, fake misinformation like this resulted in this woman receiving a lot of abuse and very much could have put her life at risk considering where she is from, it still might, thankfully her country seems behind her but there's still potential for a few lunatics who believe the misinformation.

I don't think her voice is a defence, nor do I agree with it but my core point is that we've just had riots across the UK because of misinformation and then a woman receiving a ton of abuse due to misinformation which could put her life at risk, a lot of it was amplified on Twitter, be more careful next time. Anyway she is taking legal action and I hope she succeeds.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 August 2024

Ryuu96 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Yeah, its pretty fucked up. She had developmental defects that make her more manly. Yeah, it makes no sense but like myself people won't look further into it, I only got the true facts cause Alanah researched it. She would have been stoned or decapitated if she was transgender, never mind making it to the Olympics. But in the defence of people still misinformed, her voice really does sound like she's a man imitating a woman, honestly. 

It's not confirmed she has developmental defects either. I'm not going to lecture you too hard but I hope you learn from this and why you should look further into things, especially with things such as this, fake misinformation like this resulted in this woman receiving a lot of abuse and very much could have put her life at risk considering where she is from, it still might, thankfully her country seems behind her but there's still potential for a few lunatics who believe the misinformation.

I don't think her voice is a defence, nor do I agree with it but my core point is that we've just had riots across the UK because of misinformation and then a woman receiving a ton of abuse due to misinformation which could put her life at risk, a lot of it was amplified on Twitter, be more careful next time. Anyway she is taking legal action and I hope she succeeds.

Trying constantly to not take anything on the Internet as truth but I didn't comment anything about this or chat about it online until after Alannah's video so I've nothing to be careful about. 

You ever play MGS2 through to the end? If not, look it up, it predicts exactly how the Internet would turn out. 

RolStoppable said:
LurkerJ said:

Reads like a right wing hit piece that slipped in three lines - highlighted in bold - to cover their butts.

Once you ignore the far-right quotes in the article and focus on the facts, all it says is that migrants can apply for housing and will be put on the waiting list, but the vast majority of councils opt to give homes to people who are either lifelong UK citizens or have been in the country for 10+ years.

It does read like a hit piece because it is GB news.

You don't have to be a lifelong citizen to be eligible for social housing, about 50% of social houses in London, for example, go to non-UK born. You don't have to spend 10 years to tick the local connection test either, living 6 months in the area is enough connection. 10% going to non UK nationals is a lot, it's all relative after all when you have over a million people on the social housing waiting list with no proper plans to accommodate those already in the country let alone the higher numbers that will pour in and become eligible for those houses with Labour in power. And if there is oversupply (there isn't), the eligibility criteria for social housing should be extended to catch a much bigger slice of the public because the middle class is going bankrupt paying for rentals.

The overarching point in my posts is that there is no plan to fix the housing market or address the strain migration has specifically on it, every country has its own set of circumstance and challenges and this is by far the biggest challenge the UK faces, if Americans don't have this problem and don't need to find the balance, good for them, but this isn't working here. The net effect of Labour policies over the next 5 years will make the challenge worse for everybody, not better. It doesn't mean that I want the tories in charge, I just don't want to hear fantasies from Labour about being able to solve the crisis while increasing net migration when their plans are clearly not realistic. 

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

You don't have to be a lifelong citizen to be eligible for social housing, about 50% of social houses in London, for example, go to non-UK born. You don't have to spend 10 years to tick the local connection test either, living 6 months in the area is enough connection. 10% going to non UK nationals is a lot, it's all relative after all when you have over a million people on the social housing waiting list with no proper plans to accommodate those already in the country let alone the higher numbers that will pour in and become eligible for those houses with Labour in power. And if there is oversupply (there isn't), the eligibility criteria for social housing should be extended to catch a much bigger slice of the public because the middle class is going bankrupt paying for rentals.

The overarching point in my posts is that there is no plan to fix the housing market or address the strain migration has specifically on it, every country has its own set of circumstance and challenges and this is by far the biggest challenge the UK faces, if Americans don't have this problem and don't need to find the balance, good for them, but this isn't working here. The net effect of Labour policies over the next 5 years will make the challenge worse for everybody, not better. It doesn't mean that I want the tories in charge, I just don't want to hear fantasies from Labour about being able to solve the crisis while increasing net migration when their plans are clearly not realistic. 

You mean the net effect of all the current Labour policies. They've been in charge for a little over a month now, so them fixing, what, 15 years of conservative leadership in such a short time is not realistic. Maybe they do suck and won't do anything beyond what they have now during the next five years, but it's pretty early to go all-in on the doom and expect a net negative. On the other hand, fixing this crisis altogether within five years certainly does sound like a fantasy, and if anyone says that it can be done after all the damage the Tories have done, then I agree with you that it is a pipedream.

The situation in the UK reminds me of Germany where rents aren't under control either and the government's targets to build new spaces are a pipedream too; Germany's problem is the result of government decisions that date back around 30 years and have never been addressed properly. What's the case in Germany is that the current government is a coalition where one party blocks new taxes altogether, but Labour in the UK should have much better conditions than that. So that's that. But either way, I'd say the government has to build at a rapid pace for at least two decades before things get back in order.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
LurkerJ said:

You mean the net effect of all the current Labour policies. They've been in charge for a little over a month now, so them fixing, what, 15 years of conservative leadership in such a short time is not realistic. Maybe they do suck and won't do anything beyond what they have now during the next five years, but it's pretty early to go all-in on the doom and expect a net negative. On the other hand, fixing this crisis altogether within five years certainly does sound like a fantasy, and if anyone says that it can be done after all the damage the Tories have done, then I agree with you that it is a pipedream.

The situation in the UK reminds me of Germany where rents aren't under control either and the government's targets to build new spaces are a pipedream too; Germany's problem is the result of government decisions that date back around 30 years and have never been addressed properly. What's the case in Germany is that the current government is a coalition where one party blocks new taxes altogether, but Labour in the UK should have much better conditions than that. So that's that. But either way, I'd say the government has to build at a rapid pace for at least two decades before things get back in order.

I don't expect anybody to fix the Tories legacy in 5 or even 10 years, mind you, when it comes to housing, Tony Blaire's Labour legacy was terrible as well, in his first 10 years, less was spent on housing than the tories before him, this changed during the old Labour third term but the global financial market crisis crushed their little-too-late-plans, the previous Labour famously went through 9 housing ministers expecting them to solve the problem without increased investments or controlling demand. 

I am not judging the new Labour based on what they've done in their first month, but based on their 5-year housing plan presented to us, it isn't going to move the needle at all because we know what is the number of houses required, the numbers tell us their plan is inadequate, if you can't fix the supply and have no intention to tweak the demand, the problem will worsen. 

I like what Labour is doing with rails and energy, and healthcare, I'll take them over the tories any day of the week, but the housing market is so messed up that any wage rise or reduced energy bills are immediately erased by the rising rents and mortgages, If I sound like doom and gloom, it's because unfortunately that's where the country is when it comes to housing. My mates rarely celebrate a raise or a bonus, it's going to be chipped at the next day. I sincerely hope they tax the rich harder and invest in more housing and we get more ambitious plans during their first term. 

MadDogg said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Hard to hear anyone when they’re wearing a balaclava or covering up their face.  

sad what’s taking place in the UK. Hopefully both sides calm down and peace prevails. 

I could understand them perfectly. Perhaps try closed captions. 

LegitHyperbole said:
MadDogg said:

Hard to hear anyone when they’re wearing a balaclava or covering up their face.  

sad what’s taking place in the UK. Hopefully both sides calm down and peace prevails. 

I could understand them perfectly. Perhaps try closed captions. 

Haha. You misunderstand what I mean by hearing someone. 

LurkerJ said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't expect anybody to fix the Tories legacy in 5 or even 10 years, mind you, when it comes to housing, Tony Blaire's Labour legacy was terrible as well, in his first 10 years, less was spent on housing than the tories before him, this changed during the old Labour third term but the global financial market crisis crushed their little-too-late-plans, the previous Labour famously went through 9 housing ministers expecting them to solve the problem without increased investments or controlling demand. 

I am not judging the new Labour based on what they've done in their first month, but based on their 5-year housing plan presented to us, it isn't going to move the needle at all because we know what is the number of houses required, the numbers tell us their plan is inadequate, if you can't fix the supply and have no intention to tweak the demand, the problem will worsen. 

I like what Labour is doing with rails and energy, and healthcare, I'll take them over the tories any day of the week, but the housing market is so messed up that any wage rise or reduced energy bills are immediately erased by the rising rents and mortgages, If I sound like doom and gloom, it's because unfortunately that's where the country is when it comes to housing. My mates rarely celebrate a raise or a bonus, it's going to be chipped at the next day. I sincerely hope they tax the rich harder and invest in more housing and we get more ambitious plans during their first term. 

UK housing costs blows my mind.  The house we rented was valued at 495k pounds, which is 600k USD...  that same house in mid-west or southern US would be at most 250k USD.  There are some very expensive states, but in the mid-west and south, 600k buys a mansion not a tiny little dwelling.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED