By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Best graphics on Nintendo Switch

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Probably as simple as more ram than being much more powerful.

Resolution and fps eat vram.  

Having more than three times as much RAM at twice the bandwidth does help, but not just that; its CPU and GPU are superior too. Not by a whole generation of course, but enough that the results can look noticeably better, as we can see when comparing both the same games on both systems, and also Wii U games to their Switch sequels.

Yeah, but don't underestimate 3x ram that is also faster.  That is a huge deal.  

Overall I'm happy with the Switch and look forward to Switch 2.  

In terms of pushing modern games, I felt the rtx 4070 struggled because it only has 12 gb of vram.

Vram goes quick these days.  Need a lot of it and high memory bandwidth.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 05 August 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

LM3 I think is the prettiest Switch game, followed by pikmin 4.

I always thought Odyssey was meh. Felt like a wii u game that was ported. Granted it is a nice 60 fps.

Link's Awakening has great art style but the slow down is awful.

Dread was awesome, flawless masterpiece.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I always thought Odyssey was meh. Felt like a wii u game that was ported. Granted it is a nice 60 fps.

I agree with everything you said except your opinion on Odyssey being meh. I still think it looks great even today. 

Dread was amazing. It's the single game that turned me into an OLED believer. If the Switch 2 doesn't launch with an OLED panel now I'm going to be disappointed. I might even try to hold out until they release an OLED version. 

Back on topic, I agree with df and most of you here that Luigi's mansion 3 is the best looking Switch game. It's the only game that really blew me away graphically, even if it wasn't my cup of tea gameplay wise. 

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

SuperJortendo said:
Chrkeller said:

I agree with everything you said except your opinion on Odyssey being meh. I still think it looks great even today. 

Dread was amazing. It's the single game that turned me into an OLED believer. If the Switch 2 doesn't launch with an OLED panel now I'm going to be disappointed. I might even try to hold out until they release an OLED version. 

Back on topic, I agree with df and most of you here that Luigi's mansion 3 is the best looking Switch game. It's the only game that really blew me away graphically, even if it wasn't my cup of tea gameplay wise. 

It has been a long while since I played Odyssey, but I don't recall there being strong lighting and reflections.  My memory could be off.

LM3 looks amazing but the physics are great too.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I'm really curious to see more of Metroid Prime 4. We only got a small taste just to say the game exists. It seemed to be doing more than Remaster (not that surprising) and looks a little nicer. Does anyone have any insight based on what we saw on lighting techniques and such?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

Yea I see them as developers trying to  sell/hype there games but the fact is those developers saying it's weaker were right in 90% of the ports that wiiu could not keep up. So I choose to believe them and you can choose to believe what you want and ignore 90% of ports. 

1) Prove it. You don't get to make arbitrary assertions without evidence because it doesn't conform to your own perceived biases.

2) If you are only here to talk shit about Nintendo, leave the thread, most people are tired of you derailing Nintendo threads.

curl-6 said:

Having more than three times as much RAM at twice the bandwidth does help, but not just that; its CPU and GPU are superior too. Not by a whole generation of course, but enough that the results can look noticeably better, as we can see when comparing both the same games on both systems, and also Wii U games to their Switch sequels.

The Switch may not have the raw-numbers advantage, but it's hardware is "smarter" and more efficient, it can do more work with less... Thanks to things like Delta Colour compression, Z-cull, early Z and Z compression, 3dc texture compression and more which gives it likely a 50% or more of additional bandwidth to play with that the Ram bandwidth numbers alone doesn't tell us.

But a massive chunk of those hardware advantages (I.E. Polymorph engines are better than AMD's Truform by a long mile!) only show themselves when developers target the hardware nuances, which is why Nintendo exclusive titles seem to have some extremely impressive showings on such a low-end and old device.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Yea I see them as developers trying to  sell/hype there games but the fact is those developers saying it's weaker were right in 90% of the ports that wiiu could not keep up. So I choose to believe them and you can choose to believe what you want and ignore 90% of ports. 

1) Prove it. You don't get to make arbitrary assertions without evidence because it doesn't conform to your own perceived biases.

2) If you are only here to talk shit about Nintendo, leave the thread, most people are tired of you derailing Nintendo threads.

curl-6 said:

The Switch may not have the raw-numbers advantage, but it's hardware is "smarter" and more efficient, it can do more work with less... Thanks to things like Delta Colour compression, Z-cull, early Z and Z compression, 3dc texture compression and more which gives it likely a 50% or more of additional bandwidth to play with that the Ram bandwidth numbers alone doesn't tell us.

But a massive chunk of those hardware advantages (I.E. Polymorph engines are better than AMD's Truform by a long mile!) only show themselves when developers target the hardware nuances, which is why Nintendo exclusive titles seem to have some extremely impressive showings on such a low-end and old device.

Oh boy the only one derailing is you. I only stated that rdr was the best looking game based on playing both botw and rdr to me on 14 inch screen which they both looked amazing but prefered rdr and you made a problem out of it cause you can't accept being wrong. Show me where I'm bashing ninetndo in this thread?

I provided enough proof I'm not wasting my time.  You said rdr was more of a show case then gtav almost no one agrees with and provided with massive  thread where everyone called gtav the most impressive gane of 7th gen . I showed you developers saying wiiu was weaker and metro last light said the game can't run properly in wiiu. The the ports all matched what the developer was saying to me that's proof you can take it or leave it.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 05 August 2024

Zelda has been now banned from this thread. We apologize for the mess that preceded it and hopefully this place can get back to proper discussion.

CGI-Quality said:

Zelda has been now banned from this thread. We apologize for the mess that preceded it and hopefully this place can get back to proper discussion.

Thank you, really appreciate the intervention. 

CGI-Quality said:

I hope she can make in time for her game

Last edited by 160rmf - on 05 August 2024

We reap what we sow