By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Best graphics on Nintendo Switch

With the Switch now in it's 8th year, Digital Foundry have put together their picks for its most graphically accomplished titles.

This is their first party list, with a third party list presumably to follow at some point, though they do cheat a little by including a select few from non-Nintendo devs here.

Their picks are Metroid Prime Remastered, FAST RMX, Metroid Dread, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, The Touryst, Super Mario Bros Wonder, Paper Mario: The Origami King, Super Mario RPG Remake, Tears of the Kingdom, Super Mario Odyssey, and for the top spot, Luigi's Mansion 3.

Naturally, this is partly down to John and Oliver's personal tastes; while technology can be judged objectively, art direction is subjective. Still, it's cool to have their input; Switch may be low end kit compared to the competition, but it's still proven itself capable of producing beautiful results in the hands of talented artists and programmers.

What are your thoughts; any you thought missed out?

Around the Network

I like his choices but I'd also add Astral Chain. Monster Hunter Rise. DQXI. ARMS. Ceraza and the lost demon. Bravely Default II. Octopath Traveler 1-2. Daemon X Machina. Monster Hunter Stories 2. SMTV.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The games which left the strongest graphical impression on me this gen would prolly be Metroid Prime Remastered, Paper Mario TTYD, Super Mario Wonder, Zelda BotW (carried heavily by art style), Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, MarioKart 8 Deluxe.

Honorable Mention: Zelda TotK. While it's impressive enough that the game is running on NSW, and though I cannot deny that the game's art style is one of extreme beauty(!), it is *very* geometrically rough-around-the-edges. Those rocks and their ten polygons are what I'm being reminded of, as well the overreliance on texture in creating foliage.

Last edited by firebush03 - on 27 July 2024

My pick goes to Links Awakening for the great material shaders, depth of field and specular highlight effects.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Great list but I disagree with them with Pikmin 4, to me its the most advance looking Switch title along with Luigi's mansion. The textures, depth of field, modelling is all top notch.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

My pick goes to Links Awakening for the great material shaders, depth of field and specular highlight effects.

Otter said:

Great list but I disagree with them with Pikmin 4, to me its the most advance looking Switch title along with Luigi's mansion. The textures, depth of field, modelling is all top notch.

Yeah I'd agree with both, and both are mentioned in DF's runners up segment at the end of the video.

I'd also throw in Mario Party Superstars; NDcube went way harder than they needed to for a casual party game and it looks incredibly vibrant, smooth, and polished.

A total agree with their list even if they put stuff like Pikmin 4 in their honorable mentions.

Also yes, I'll join Curl opinion on Mario Party Superstars. The boards and mini-games are insane looking in some instances.

I feel like Metroid Prime 4 Beyond is gonna get into their list by the end of it all.

Also Astral Chain not getting mentioned was the only travesty I could think on really.

On a personal note, Yoshi's Crafted World was definitely the console best UE4 running game for what it was going for.

I'd have other picks, but it would enter the 3rd party category mostly

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

At 1080p and solid 30fps this is the best looking Open world on switch.

zeldaring said:

Nope. BOTW. Xenoblade 3. Look much better. This clearly looks like a 360/PS3 game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
zeldaring said:

Nope. BOTW. Xenoblade 3. Look much better. This clearly looks like a 360/PS3 game.

Yup, and this game is 1080p. 360/ps3 and wiiu can only dream of running this at 1080p solid 30fps.  Also what looks better is subjective. Going from 720p to 1080p requires the gpu to do 2.25x the work in case you didn't know, and that's not even factoring the locked 30fps. I prefer these type of games then something using more advanced graphics but running at 720p or lower many times with a unstable framerate. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 29 July 2024