By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One

PlayStation 4 or Xbox One?

PS4 34 80.95%

Xbox One 5 11.90%

Tie 1 2.38%

Neither 2 4.76%

Total:42

As usual, Zeldaring is wrong and derails a thread for pages on end. Can we get back to PS4 vs Xbox One?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

As usual, Zeldaring is wrong and derails a thread for pages on end. Can we get back to PS4 vs Xbox One?

Thread was turned to a 360 vs ps3 way before we started the tech discussion it was never a contest to begin with ps4 is massively better then xbox one, and you love saying I'm wrong when I'm right if that makes you feel better then keep doing it 

Still everything i said is factually right like can someone actually look at MGSV and crysis 3 which both use PBR and the look at the uncharted 2/3 and say this is technically more demanding on the GPU'S and cpu's and call it a fact. i say would this is impossible unless you are some kind AI human.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 27 July 2024

zeldaring said:

DF says halo 4 can take the crown for most impressive game in the 7th gen but you can clearly see from your eyes it's not. what makes your opinion more valuable then there's?  To Me it's subjective and many techheads says comparing 2 different games with 2 different artstyle and goals is meaningless why should I value your opinion more then there's. Personally I think it's waste of time comparison because naughty dog for all we know could have achieved the same results or better since the 360 since the 360 had many advantages, maybe being easier to develope for could have giving them way more time to make the graphics better, who knows, a million what if scenerios  so i'll just judge a console power by the actual games and how they run not speculation.

Halo 4 is visually impressive... To assert that I have stated otherwise is you simply ignoring my previous statements out of their intended context and only reading what you want to read. So... Stop doing that.

Halo 4 had multiple technical regressions from Halo 3, heck even Halo: Reach made some technical regressions from Halo 3, they were visually better games, they just weren't technically better in every aspect.
Get it yet? You are confusing art for engine technology, they are NOT the same thing.

The best looking Playstation 3 games, beat anything on Xbox 360. - Ergo, it doesn't matter how the majority of games look and perform when the best looking games are on Playstation 3.

zeldaring said:

Thread was turned to a 360 vs ps3 way before we started the tech discussion it was never a contest to begin with ps4 is massively better then xbox one, and you love saying I'm wrong when I'm right if that makes you feel better then keep doing it 

Still everything i said is factually right like can someone actually look at MGSV and crysis 3 which both use PBR and the look at the uncharted 2/3 and say this is technically more demanding on the GPU'S and cpu's and call it a fact. i say would this is impossible unless you are some kind AI human.

The Xbox One had a few key advantages... Namely the CPU speed and the DRAM latency, which meant that in a few games which weren't bottlenecked by the Xbox One's slower memory bandwidth and GPU performance, it could actually come out ahead. - It was just a very rare occurrence, I recall one of the Assassins Creed games turning up better results when there was a ton of NPC's on-screen.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

DF says halo 4 can take the crown for most impressive game in the 7th gen but you can clearly see from your eyes it's not. what makes your opinion more valuable then there's?  To Me it's subjective and many techheads says comparing 2 different games with 2 different artstyle and goals is meaningless why should I value your opinion more then there's. Personally I think it's waste of time comparison because naughty dog for all we know could have achieved the same results or better since the 360 since the 360 had many advantages, maybe being easier to develope for could have giving them way more time to make the graphics better, who knows, a million what if scenerios  so i'll just judge a console power by the actual games and how they run not speculation.

Halo 4 is visually impressive... To assert that I have stated otherwise is you simply ignoring my previous statements out of their intended context and only reading what you want to read. So... Stop doing that.

Halo 4 had multiple technical regressions from Halo 3, heck even Halo: Reach made some technical regressions from Halo 3, they were visually better games, they just weren't technically better in every aspect.
Get it yet? You are confusing art for engine technology, they are NOT the same thing.

The best looking Playstation 3 games, beat anything on Xbox 360. - Ergo, it doesn't matter how the majority of games look and perform when the best looking games are on Playstation 3.

zeldaring said:

The Xbox One had a few key advantages... Namely the CPU speed and the DRAM latency, which meant that in a few games which weren't bottlenecked by the Xbox One's slower memory bandwidth and GPU performance, it could actually come out ahead. - It was just a very rare occurrence, I recall one of the Assassins Creed games turning up better results when there was a ton of NPC's on-screen.

Again this is subjective and really up to a developer's skill. Resident evil 4 was the best looking exclusive 6th gen GC that doesn't make it more powerful then xbox. Like how do I compare gtav vs uncharted 3 for example? I would say gtav pushes those 7th gen consoles to the max more then uncharted 3 and the results are pretty even, then you have more technically demanding games like late gen ports that both ps3/360 were pretty even like mgsv and crisis 3 for example. Sony developers are obviously way more skilled then Microsofts when it comes to making great  graphics so you are not factoring in skill of the developer.

When I mention halo 4 I said you don't think it's up there with sony best exclusives technically but other people knowledgeable about the subject do, so you opinion on it is not really a fact it's debatable and I don't think Sony has the best looking exclusives it's pretty close.

curl-6 said:

I remember the days when different consoles in the same gen were so unlike each other that multiplatform titles were totally separate games on say SNES vs Megadrive or N64 vs PS1, or looked radically different like PS2 vs Xbox, so I'd say PS4/XBO were very close in terms of the visual end results; usually it was 900p vs 1080p which isn't a big gap to my eyes.
Same goes for PS3 vs 360; the best stuff on both was of a pretty similar level of graphical quality.

Really comes down to which first party games you liked better.

The SNES vs Genesis was the embodiment of this. Want blood and proper fatalities with your MK (as well as controls that actually work)? Get a Genesis. Want the Aladdin version that Disney actually worked on? Get a Genesis. Want... hey, come to think of it, most of those battles were in Sega's favor lol. I don't think it was until MK2 where there was a game that most of us had to have on the SNES.

Around the Network
JackHandy said:
curl-6 said:

I remember the days when different consoles in the same gen were so unlike each other that multiplatform titles were totally separate games on say SNES vs Megadrive or N64 vs PS1, or looked radically different like PS2 vs Xbox, so I'd say PS4/XBO were very close in terms of the visual end results; usually it was 900p vs 1080p which isn't a big gap to my eyes.
Same goes for PS3 vs 360; the best stuff on both was of a pretty similar level of graphical quality.

Really comes down to which first party games you liked better.

The SNES vs Genesis was the embodiment of this. Want blood and proper fatalities with your MK (as well as controls that actually work)? Get a Genesis. Want the Aladdin version that Disney actually worked on? Get a Genesis. Want... hey, come to think of it, most of those battles were in Sega's favor lol. I don't think it was until MK2 where there was a game that most of us had to have on the SNES.

SNES Aladdin is better. There I said it lol. I like both. But Genesis had Ranger X and MUSHA so yeah it wins even tho SNES is my 2nd fave system ever behind Dreamcast.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Yeah it was Assassin's Creed Unity; both consoles ran at 900p but the Xbone had a better framerate: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Yeah it was Assassin's Creed Unity; both consoles ran at 900p but the Xbone had a better framerate: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

Considering this was so damn rare and many games look more impressive and do way more with cpu this is really most likely just a less skilled port team doing the job.

zeldaring said:

Again this is subjective and really up to a developer's skill. Resident evil 4 was the best looking exclusive 6th gen GC that doesn't make it more powerful then xbox. Like how do I compare gtav vs uncharted 3 for example? I would say gtav pushes those 7th gen consoles to the max more then uncharted 3 and the results are pretty even, then you have more technically demanding games like late gen ports that both ps3/360 were pretty even like mgsv and crisis 3 for example. Sony developers are obviously way more skilled then Microsofts when it comes to making great  graphics so you are not factoring in skill of the developer.

When I mention halo 4 I said you don't think it's up there with sony best exclusives technically but other people knowledgeable about the subject do, so you opinion on it is not really a fact it's debatable and I don't think Sony has the best looking exclusives it's pretty close.

Again. It's not subjective.

Thus we can safely say that...
1) Playstation 3 had the best looking games of that console generation. God of War 3, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us and more are a step up over the Xbox 360's best looking game... Halo 4.
2) Playstation 3 had more full 1080P games of that console generation.

zeldaring said:

Resident evil 4 was the best looking exclusive 6th gen GC that doesn't make it more powerful then xbox.

The thing with the 6th generation is that all the consoles were very different from each other in terms of capabilities.

The Original Xbox was a shader powerhouse, whilst the Gamecube was extremely good at multitexturing. That TEV, despite being fixed function held it's own really well verses the nVidia SM1.4 hardware in the Xbox.

And we saw this with games... Halo 2 had superior effects to Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube with things like Depth of Field, Material Shaders, Dynamic Lighting and in some rare instances, stencil shadows.
Games like Riddick, Doom 3, Half Life 2 and even Morrowind showcased the Original Xbox was far more capable than the Gamecube... And yes that includes besting Resident Evil 4 in many aspects.

zeldaring said:

Like how do I compare gtav vs uncharted 3 for example? I would say gtav pushes those 7th gen consoles to the max more then uncharted 3 and the results are pretty even, then you have more technically demanding games like late gen ports that both ps3/360 were pretty even like mgsv and crisis 3 for example.

GTA5 isn't a technical showpiece for 7th gen, it never was.
I would argue Red Dead Redemption is the game you should be praising compared to GTA5.

zeldaring said:

Sony developers are obviously way more skilled then Microsofts when it comes to making great  graphics so you are not factoring in skill of the developer.

Microsoft has some extremely talented developers and some extremely good technology.

Microsoft pushes Direct X and it works with nVidia, AMD and Intel to build, define and develop graphics technologies... Which you guessed it, means that Microsoft helped define even the graphics technology of the Playstation 3, indirectly.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Thought as much. There are always edge-cases on consoles where the poorer performing console (Overall) will turn out some interesting results.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Considering this was so damn rare and many games look more impressive and do way more with cpu this is really most likely just a less skilled port team doing the job.

If I recall, Xbox One actually has a slight CPU advantage over PS4; both use an 8-core Jaguar CPU, but PS4 is clocked at 1.6GHz while Xbox One runs slightly faster at 1.75GHz.

PS4 is still the more powerful console overall due to a beefier GPU and higher memory bandwidth, but unless I'm remembering wrong it's one of those things where it's not better in every metric, kinda like how PS3 beat the 360 in terms of CPU power but the 360 had advantages in bandwidth and memory allocation.