By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Ace Combat 7 on Switch

burninmylight said:
zeldaring said:

This game could have been ported at  launch or years ago, why wait 5 years to just port when switch is at the end of it's life cycle. it honestly makes little sense, developer tools  have gotten much better since then thats for sure, so it could have been easy port job no one really knows. I don't get your switch being more powerful then xbox one comment, it was just a bad port job on xbox one and this version just confirms that even more.

Main point here is companies have port teams and budgets some games engines will be way more difficult to port then others and some teams will be more skilled or familiar with the hardware it's not that they don't put no effort which is basically a insult to the port team, unless the hardware is way more powerful and it runs like crap  on much weaker hardware then you can't really blame them. I doubt namco is gonna put way more effort then devs porting day 1 or near release, because those will get way more sales. This game is sent to die.

The game that was sent out to die was the second best selling game in Japan in its launch week, only bested by Luigi's Mansion 2 HD: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/japanese-charts-ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-gets-off-to-a-flying-start

Other late-in-life Switch ports are outselling their other console counterparts in the UK as well: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/uk-charts-switch-games-take-up-eight-of-the-top-ten

And before you claim that it's mainly games that got a later Switch port so they'd therefore sell better because they haven't reached their saturation on that specific console, see that games that launched at the same time as other versions like Mortal Kombat 1 and EA Sports FC 24 are most popular on Switch.

So no, games aren't being sent out to die.

Good thing is that we have the data, in the UK, Hogwarts Legacy sold more than 1m. Units on PS5 at the end of 2023, the Nintendo Switch version was at around 150k at the same timeframe, releasing at a later date of course. 

EA Sports FC 24 about the same story, Mortal Kombat 1 as well. These games have a lower price point on Switch than their PS5 counterpart.

You basically picked a random week where those games sold better physically (yes, physical units only charts) on switch than PS5, the different versions basically trade places everytime. 

As for the game in the topic, it ran like Ass on PS4/Xbone to begin with, the devs could had done a better job.

I mean, the Switch is capable of running a lot of games decently, but some people act like the system has the specs of an iPhone 4s and is doing miracles. 

Around the Network

Damn good port. Effort goes a long way. Jumps in fidelity require huge jumps in power. I prefer the better version but for others this is a good option.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

kazuyamishima said:
burninmylight said:

The game that was sent out to die was the second best selling game in Japan in its launch week, only bested by Luigi's Mansion 2 HD: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/japanese-charts-ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-gets-off-to-a-flying-start

Other late-in-life Switch ports are outselling their other console counterparts in the UK as well: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/uk-charts-switch-games-take-up-eight-of-the-top-ten

And before you claim that it's mainly games that got a later Switch port so they'd therefore sell better because they haven't reached their saturation on that specific console, see that games that launched at the same time as other versions like Mortal Kombat 1 and EA Sports FC 24 are most popular on Switch.

Good thing is that we have the data, in the UK, Hogwarts Legacy sold more than 1m. Units on PS5 at the end of 2023, the Nintendo Switch version was at around 150k at the same timeframe, releasing at a later date of course. 

EA Sports FC 24 about the same story, Mortal Kombat 1 as well. These games have a lower price point on Switch than their PS5 counterpart.

You basically picked a random week where those games sold better physically (yes, physical units only charts) on switch than PS5, the different versions basically trade places everytime. 

As for the game in the topic, it ran like Ass on PS4/Xbone to begin with, the devs could had done a better job.

I mean, the Switch is capable of running a lot of games decently, but some people act like the system has the specs of an iPhone 4s and is doing miracles. 

The game ran fine on ps4 55-60fps, sure it's not good these days but on ps4 that not bad at all. It's not really looker which is the norm for japanese developers  they are behind western devs When it comes to graphics on consoles. Oh wow only 1080p on both ps4 pro and x yea they must have gotten much better then when they worked on this game 5 years ago as developers, and the game was probably rushed  to meet  a dead line cause there is no excuse for 1080p on pro and x version of the game.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 23 July 2024

So TLDR is:
If you fly high in the sky and the Switch doesn't have to render a whole lot the game is pretty decent.
If you fly low to the ground the pop-ins are so atrocious that you want to close your eyes.

I mean yeah, thats nice and all, but nothing to write home about.
Devs definitely got some extra time to optimize the code for the portable version, so at least you have to commend Namco for that, but they still had to do some serious cuts of a game that visually didn't have that high of a baseline anyways.

GaoGaiGarV said:

So TLDR is:
If you fly high in the sky and the Switch doesn't have to render a whole lot the game is pretty decent.
If you fly low to the ground the pop-ins are so atrocious that you want to close your eyes.

Devs definitely got some extra time to optimize the code for the portable version, so at least you have to commend Namco for that, but they still had to do some serious cuts of a game that visually didn't have that high of a baseline anyways.

And all that should be expected.  The switch isn't a ps4 and it isn't even close.  The same will be true with the switch 2 and ps5.  

We should have reasonable expectations.  I shouldn't expect RE4 on the ps5 to run 4k 120 fps, as an example.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
GaoGaiGarV said:

So TLDR is:

And all that should be expected.  The switch isn't a ps4 and it isn't even close.  The same will be true with the switch 2 and ps5.  

We should have reasonable expectations.  I shouldn't expect RE4 on the ps5 to run 4k 120 fps, as an example.  

Switch 2 will be much closer unless nintendo really shits the bed. Graphics aren't really making jumps like they used too, if you dont care about 60fps most switch 2 games should look pretty good we can't say the same for switch 1.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Switch 2 will be much closer unless nintendo really shits the bed. Graphics aren't really making jumps like they used too, if you dont care about 60fps most switch 2 games should look pretty good we can't say the same for switch 1.

Jumps are more nice to have and not required.  I see fps, resolution, particles, lighting and volumetric downgrades on the S2.  But yeah, base graphics should be good.  

Personally I can't stand 30 fps.  I hope 1st party Nintendo games are 60 fps.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Jumps are more nice to have and not required.  I see fps, resolution, particles, lighting and volumetric downgrades on the S2.  But yeah, base graphics should be good.  

Personally I can't stand 30 fps.  I hope 1st party Nintendo games are 60 fps.

Probably all 60fps unless they push zelda graphics but i doubt they are gonna push graphics  that much.

burninmylight said:

Another feather in the cap for the crowd that believes that the Switch didn't need a mid-gen refresh, just developers willing to put the time and effort into making games run well on it.

I'm in that crowd.

Also another feather in the cap of the crowd that asks why people think third-party games don't sell on Switch when the Switch keeps getting these tentpole third-party games that aren't half-assed rush jobs that obviously took time and effort.

I'm also in that crowd, and while I'm not going to name names in this post, you know who you are.

These ports don't make major movements in that argument imo, they are lengthy ports with dedicated teams which only reinforce why most games do not bother with a switch versions and why they're rarely ever available day and date. Ports being easier is better for developers, we shouldn't really look at these exceptional endeavours to say "look its possible!"... 

But a Mid-gen refresh would never make much difference to software support unless developers were able to skip on the original Switch SKU which is actually bulk of the userbase will be. 

Anyway these type of ports will become way more common with Switch 2 which is something I think we can all be excited for

kazuyamishima said:
burninmylight said:

Lol at calling last week's sales data "a random week," but guess what? We got a new week's worth of data. Let's see what I've pulled out of my kiester this time.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/uk-charts-luigis-mansion-2-hd-stands-firm-while-sales-shake-things-up

Hogwarts Legacy

Switch 45%, PS5 22%, PS4 22%, Xbox One 6%

EA Sports FC 24

Switch 41%, PS5 29%, PS4 26%, Xbox Series 4%

-

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Switch 46%, PS5 42%, PS4 7%, Xbox Series 6%

-

11Sonic SuperstarsSwitch 77%, PS5 12%, PS4 8%, Xbox Series 3%

16Bluey: The VideogameSwitch 87%, PS4 7%, PS5 4%, Xbox Series 2%

It Takes Two

Switch 55%, PS4 45%

-

24Sea of StarsSwitch 87%, PS5 10%, PS4 2%, Xbox Series 1%

-

28Just Dance 2024 EditionSwitch 98%, PS5 2%, Xbox Series 0%

40Mortal Kombat 1PS5 68%, Xbox Series 18%, Switch 14%

Outside of MK1, every multiplatform game sold best on Switch.

I would hope that the version of the game that had a nine-month head start would be leading the one that came much later in lifetime sales. Good job PS5, bravo!