By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you prefer single or multiplayer games?

Do you prefer single or multiplayer games?

Single Player 410 84.89%

Local Multiplayer 46 9.52%

Online Multiplayer 27 5.59%

Total:483

Singleplayer...but a lot of it is due to lack of local cooperative games in genres I prefer.

Around the Network

Singleplayer, with coop-multiplayer coming in second. Titan Quest 2 is being shown on August 2nd, and my oldest friends and I are talking about gathering for LAN for the first time since 2006!

I spend almost all of my game time on singeplayer games, I even play Elden Ring in Offline mode so I don't have to deal with invasions, stupidly placed messages etc. For me, online multiplayer has caused nothing but damage to the industry as whole; developers went from building settings and worlds with heart and mind, to simply relying on communities to provide the content/action.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

This is an easy one for me. I prefer games with excellent single-player campaigns.

Single-player > cooperative multiplayer > competitive multiplayer
Local multiplayer > online multiplayer

this 100%.  Same.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Single player games mainly because I like to do things at my own pace (which can be a faster pace than some) and where I have full control on what I want to do without behind held back.

I'm at a point in my life where I no longer have the patience to wait on someone - back when I did play MP/online games, always felt like being held back by less than stellar team mates.

For an example I played a MMO with a guild - me and a friend farmed gear ready for PvM and PvP in a week while most people in the guild we were in probably got one piece of armor but took them a week just to farm that one piece (using inefficient methods, playing poorly, etc).

For MP games, I tend to get ones that have AI controlled (Left 4 Dead).

Single player > Online multiplayer > local multiplayer

Around the Network

Single Player is tops. To just enjoy a great game and get lost in the story is relaxing.
Local multiplayer is next. I love a good couch coop game that I can share the experience with, sadly there aren't too many amazing couch coop games story wise.

Single player JRPGs of course.

Hard to choose as they all had a memorable impact on my life.

Local multiplayer was fun even up to Wii U with the tablet vs on screen play. Then the classics like mario kart, golden eye, perfect dark etc.

Online play like starseige tribes, unreal tournament, quake 3, which had community mods an playing on dialup was a challenge in itself lol.

The effectively NES generation predominantly was single player which meant you had to conquer on your own, then the transition to 3D with N64 had a memorial impact to.

If I then put it down to hours consumed, it would be single player games and probably what I would prefer as I am older as less time to dedicate to gaming, so can play at m own pace.

For the most part, single player.

My multiplayer is largely confined these days to game nights with family, Smash Bros, or Mario Kart.

Local multiplayer, easily.

While I love single player, I always find local multiplayer most rewarding.
Even when I do single player, it’s often a collaborative experience, unless I’m commuting.

Online multiplayer makes me feel depressed,
(unless it’s an extension of local multiplayer).

This generation my most played multiplayer games are Super Mario Kart 8, Crusader Kings 2/3, Victoria 3, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing NH (single-Multi), Dragon Quest 9, and a lot of other smaller games like Kingdom Two Crowns and various older games.

Crusader Kings 3, usually what we do is play as two characters within an Empire and play until one of us is thrust to the Imperial crown, and then we split the lands up into two independent empires. It’s by far the co-operative game I play the most.

CK2 has a lot more interesting stuff in it, but it crashes all the time in multiplayer. And when it does you have to exit out of the game and restart - CK3 is significantly better for multiplayer.

Trying to get a local multiplayer game of Stellaris going.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 19 July 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.