By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th gen or 8th gen

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81
curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

Nothing against preference but talking about a whole attitude of an era. Tho he's an idiot in general. The last vapor of that came with David jaffe using AI to make Zeld alook bland and generic Skyrim saying he fixed it. This is from the guy who could not figure his way out of a room in Metroid Dread, however. BoTW pretty much killed anything left from that era tho.  As for a darker aesthetic for a Zelda game. I did like Darksiders a lot. Esp 1-2. Tho it still had a heavy art style.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/05/god-of-war-creator-david-jaffe-enlists-ai-to-fix-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom

So to be clear no you are not an idiot. The idiots are the ones being dumb about it like Jaffe here. They didn't actually want Mature Zelda half the time they really just wanted to mock Nintendo for being "kiddie".

BOTW/TOTK I thought struck a great balance where they were still stylized and whimsical, but it still had some darker vibes and non-Chibi characters. As someone who loved Ocarina and Twilight Princess, I also loved BOTW and TOTK.

Still, I would absolutely love to someday see a Zelda game built with the art style of the 2011 Wii U tech demo which I thought looked gorgeous:

When it comes to 7th gen vs 8th gen, I did find BO

Would love to see this style of zelda return oot style not a massive open world I would much rather prefer something much smaller with cool dungeons and some really awesome combat like they been showing in all the demos lol 

Around the Network

Another advantage the Wii had was that it had a bunch of smaller AA first/second party IPs that were absent on Wii U, stuff like Punch-Out, Battallion Wars 2, Excite Truck, Excite Bots, Wario Land, Pandora's Tower, and Sin & Punishment.

With the Wii U's tiny install base, these minor/niche franchises just weren't really viable.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

BOTW/TOTK I thought struck a great balance where they were still stylized and whimsical, but it still had some darker vibes and non-Chibi characters. As someone who loved Ocarina and Twilight Princess, I also loved BOTW and TOTK.

Still, I would absolutely love to someday see a Zelda game built with the art style of the 2011 Wii U tech demo which I thought looked gorgeous:

When it comes to 7th gen vs 8th gen, I did find BO

Would love to see this style of zelda return oot style not a massive open world I would much rather prefer something much smaller with cool dungeons and some really awesome combat like they been showing in all the demos lol 

My dream is for them to revisit the world of Zelda II in 3-D, in the style depicted in the E3 tech demo shown here. Not a remake, a full-on new game set in that world. Though I wouldn't turn down a full 3-D remake, either.

That game was already big, dark, and mysterious on the NES. It had ghouls everywhere, a huge, dangerous Death Mountain, the Valley of Death, and a town that was sacked by monsters and haunted by evil spirits, plus lots of towns and caves. I also liked the monsters they had in the game.

curl-6 said:

Another advantage the Wii had was that it had a bunch of smaller AA first/second party IPs that were absent on Wii U, stuff like Punch-Out, Battallion Wars 2, Excite Truck, Excite Bots, Wario Land, Pandora's Tower, and Sin & Punishment.

With the Wii U's tiny install base, these minor/niche franchises just weren't really viable.

Setting aside that issue, a lot of these franchises didn't sell well enough on the Wii to be continued, otherwise, Nintendo would have revived them on the Switch. Too many people were just there for Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Even Skyward Sword's sales were disappointing to Nintendo, and that was when the Wii had a 100 million install base.

SanAndreasX said:
zeldaring said:

My dream is for them to revisit the world of Zelda II in 3-D, in the style depicted in the E3 tech demo shown here. Not a remake, a full-on new game set in that world. Though I wouldn't turn down a full 3-D remake, either.

That game was already big, dark, and mysterious on the NES. It had ghouls everywhere, a huge, dangerous Death Mountain, the Valley of Death, and a town that was sacked by monsters and haunted by evil spirits, plus lots of towns and caves. I also liked the monsters they had in the game.

Zelda II is low-key one of the best entries in the series.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
curl-6 said:

Setting aside that issue, a lot of these franchises didn't sell well enough on the Wii to be continued, otherwise, Nintendo would have revived them on the Switch. Too many people were just there for Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Even Skyward Sword's sales were disappointing to Nintendo, and that was when the Wii had a 100 million install base.

That's not necessarily the case; sometimes an IP simply isn't brought back for a while because they don't have a good idea for it, or there isn't a team available to do it that has the necessary genre experience.

A number of smaller Wii titles did get followups; Endless Ocean for instance just a Switch entry, Excite Truck got a sequel on the Wii itself, the Wars series saw both a DS followup and a Switch remake, etc.

Skyward Sword was a highly divisive entry that required an add-on to play, it's not too surprising that sales suffered.

SanAndreasX said:
zeldaring said:

I agree with you I loved zelda 2. Probably second best game behind mario 3 on nes for me.

I want to love Zelda 2, and it is a really good game, but jesus that game is a bit punishing. The thundergod boss, or whatever his name it, was painful. and beating dark link without the cheat is way too hard. I would love a Zelda 2 remake that is a bit more balanced. The structure was cool.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED