By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81

The Wii U GPU was a performance-segment gaming console graphics solution by AMD, launched on November 18th, 2012. Built on the 40 nm process, and based on the Latte graphics processor, the device does not support DirectX. The Latte graphics processor is an average sized chip with a die area of 146 mm² and 880 million transistors. It features 160 shading units, 16 texture mapping units, and 8 ROPs. AMD includes 2,048 MB DDR3 memory, which are connected using a 64-bit memory interface. The GPU is operating at a frequency of 550 MHz, memory is running at 800 MHz.
Its power draw is rated at 33 W maximum. The console's dimensions are 269 mm x 172 mm x 46 mm, and it features a igp cooling solution. Its price at launch was 349 US Dollars

.The Xbox 360 GPU 90nm was a high-end gaming console graphics solution by ATI, launched on November 22nd, 2005. Built on the 90 nm process, and based on the Xenos Xenon graphics processor, in its Crayola 6 variant, the device supports DirectX 9.0c. The Xenos Xenon graphics processor is an average sized chip with a die area of 181 mm² and 232 million transistors. It features 240 shading units, 16 texture mapping units, and 8 ROPs. ATI includes 512 MB GDDR3 memory, which are connected using a 128-bit memory interface. The GPU is operating at a frequency of 500 MHz, memory is running at 700 MHz.
Its power draw is rated at 203 W maximum. The console's dimensions are 310 mm x 269 mm x 79 mm, and it features a igp cooling solution. Its price at launch was 399 US Dollar

yea if someone it gonna look at these specs and tell me the wiiu is more poweful then I don't what to say. This is not factoring  in that most accounts and some devlopers said the cpu was much weaker. Also n64 and ps is a meaningless comparsion the 360 and wiiu are basically from the same family.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 21 July 2024

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Sure and some games run better on ps5 than PC...  Shit ports don't mean anything.

The Wii U had more modern chipset and 2x the ram of the 360 and 4x more than the ps3.  

And teraflops is an utterly worthless benchmark and should be banned from discussion.

And yeah, some N64 ports were meh, like RE2.  The ps1 version held its own.  That doesn't mean the N64 wasn't significantly more powerful.

Oh come every GPU that's 2x in power to the 360 ran circles in the majority of ports so please don't use that excuse. DF even used a GPU that had 352 gflops and tested games it crushed the 360. wiiu only had 1 gig of ram for games.

Xenos Xenon 360 gpu

CORES240

TMUS16

ROPS8

MEMORY SIZE512 MB

MEMORY TYPEGDDR3

GRAPHICS PROCESSORLatte wiiu basically the same class gpu as the 360. 

CORES160

TMUS16

ROPS8

MEMORY SIZE2 GB

MEMORY TYPEDDR3

BUS WIDTH64 bit

Dude the U was a massive failure, of course 3rd party didn't put effort into it.  The U was dead out of the gates.

The U had 1 gb for games..   the 360 had what? 256 or 384?  It was a massive, massive difference.

You are off base.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Sure and some games run better on ps5 than PC...  Shit ports don't mean anything.

The Wii U had more modern chipset and 2x the ram of the 360 and 4x more than the ps3.  

And teraflops is an utterly worthless benchmark and should be banned from discussion.

And yeah, some N64 ports were meh, like RE2.  The ps1 version held its own.  That doesn't mean the N64 wasn't significantly more powerful.

Oh come every GPU that's 2x in power to the 360 ran circles in the majority of ports so please don't use that excuse. DF even used a GPU that had 352 gflops and tested games it crushed the 360. wiiu only had 1 gig of ram for games.

Xenos Xenon 360 gpu

CORES240

TMUS16

ROPS8

MEMORY SIZE512 MB

MEMORY TYPEGDDR3

CORES160

TMUS16

ROPS8

MEMORY SIZE2 GB

MEMORY TYPEDDR3

BUS WIDTH64 bit

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Xenos Xenon 360 gpu

CORES240

TMUS16

ROPS8

MEMORY SIZE512 MB

MEMORY TYPEGDDR3

CORES160

TMUS16

ROPS8

MEMORY SIZE2 GB

MEMORY TYPEDDR3

BUS WIDTH64 bit

Dude the U was a massive failure, of course 3rd party didn't put effort into it.  The U was dead out of the gates.

The U had 1 gb for games..   the 360 had what? 256 or 384?  It was a massive, massive difference.

You are off base.

you are ignoring the fact that by most accounts the cpu was weaker, and the gpu was basically the same even weaker in some aspects and better in some, like 512 MB GDDR3 memory, which are connected using a 128-bit memory interface vs 64 bit for wiiu, or the 240 shader units vs 160. Also developers were already used to dealing with such low amount of ram with those weak specs so it wasn't really a big advantage you are making out to be but as you can see looking at the specs there were real reasons the ports did bad not just the lazy port excuses, or devolpers don't care. keep in mind wiiu was coming off a huge success that was the wii.

oh and the 360 OS only used 32MB, keep in mind the cpu was 3 wii cpu's duct taped together.

We will have to agree to disagree. Wii U pulled off stuff like MK8 and 3D World at locked 60 fps. Bayo 2 was a huge jump in fidelity and was close to locked 60 fps.

The 360 and ps3 didn't have the ram to pull that off. It just didn't.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Wii U pulled off stuff like MK8 and 3D World at locked 60 fps. Bayo 2 was a huge jump in fidelity and was close to locked 60 fps.

I respect your opinion but there is nothing close to the level of detail  of the last of us, gears of war 3, uncharted 3, GOW3 on wiiu. I really doubt wiiu could pull those off with such a weak cpu. Also bayo 2 was like 35-55fps, nothing close to locked it was pretty bad. I don't like using exclusives  cause i do feel they are just speculation of what could run and how it would run, and if ram was such a huge framerate boost why did all like 12 AAA games run much worse makes no sense, anyway well agree to diagree, peace.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

I respect your opinion but there is nothing close to the level of detail  of the last of us, gears of war 3, uncharted 3, GOW3 on wiiu. I really doubt wiiu could pull those off with such a weak cpu. Also bayo 2 was like 35-55fps, nothing close to locked it was pretty bad. I don't like using exclusives  cause i do feel they are just speculation of what could run and how it would run, and if ram was such a huge framerate boost why did all like 12 AAA games run much worse makes no sense, anyway well agree to diagree, peace.

It is all good.  I always appreciate and respect a differing opinion.

I went back and played ps3 not too long ago and it didn't age as well as I thought it did.

TLoU, as an example, is 720p at 30 fps.  720p on a huge screen is a bit rough, at least in my opinion.  I'm really hoping the S2 targets native 1080p when docked, maybe even 1440p.    

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

It is all good.  I always appreciate and respect a differing opinion.

I went back and played ps3 not too long ago and it didn't age as well as I thought it did.

TLoU, as an example, is 720p at 30 fps.  720p on a huge screen is a bit rough, at least in my opinion.  I'm really hoping the S2 targets native 1080p when docked, maybe even 1440p.    

Yea games with high detail don't age as good as cartoony games with out higher resolution. Go watch games like GOW 3, gears 3, and uncharted 3 in 4k they look amazing but it's crazy how people don't appeciate the jump to 8th gen where games look like cgi now, the jump really is massive. Watching something like the order 1886 that came out in 2015 and still looks better then most games today shows graphics have reached  diminishing returns for real.

As usual what zeldaring is saying doesn't make lot of sense if you stop and think about it.

The Wii U was never succesful so it was never prioritised by third parties when they made the ports. Despite all of that, I can think about 3 games that are better on Wii U compared to the PS360 versions:

-Need for Speed Most Wanted U
-Call of Duty Black Ops 2
-Sonic & All Starts Racing Transformed

But that doesn't matter because this is a terrible way to measure a console power. The best version of Alien Isolation is on the Switch. The Switch is not more powerful than the PS4/XB1. Good ports and bad ports happen all the time.

The Wii U is more powerful compared to the PS360 but not by much. Wii U's CPU also is terrible.

The whole models discussion is also nonsensical. Resident Evil 4 is not na open world game and the models are lower fidelity if you compare them to the XCX models.

The same can be said about the FF12 models... It's a game with huge open areas, but it's nowhere big as XCX. The models are lower fidelity as well, because it's a PS2 game. If you compare it to the open world games of the era like I did in my previous post then... lol. It's not even close.

At the end of the day, yes, XCX is a game that belongs on the 7th gen. No, NLA doesn't look like GTA Vice City.

RedKingXIII said:

As usual what zeldaring is saying doesn't make lot of sense if you stop and think about it.

The Wii U was never succesful so it was never prioritised by third parties when they made the ports. Despite all of that, I can think about 3 games that are better on Wii U compared to the PS360 versions:

-Need for Speed Most Wanted U
-Call of Duty Black Ops 2
-Sonic & All Starts Racing Transformed

But that doesn't matter because this is a terrible way to measure a console power. The best version of Alien Isolation is on the Switch. The Switch is not more powerful than the PS4/XB1. Good ports and bad ports happen all the time.

The Wii U is more powerful compared to the PS360 but not by much. Wii U's CPU also is terrible.

The whole models discussion is also nonsensical. Resident Evil 4 is not na open world game and the models are lower fidelity if you compare them to the XCX models.

The same can be said about the FF12 models... It's a game with huge open areas, but it's nowhere big as XCX. The models are lower fidelity as well, because it's a PS2 game. If you compare it to the open world games of the era like I did in my previous post then... lol. It's not even close.

At the end of the day, yes, XCX is a game that belongs on the 7th gen. No, NLA doesn't look like GTA Vice City.

LOL i'm the only one making sense. Judging a console off one port is stupid of course it is but we are talking about 12 or so ports from AAA developers that ran much worse, you can't have something keep happening  and not think maybe the hardware has short comings. The  gpu is basically the same design as the 360 architecture wise, they both have advantges and disadvantges  and in almost every game they showed the same graphics, developers did not have a problem with that, it was the cpu that was a terrible and realisticly made it a weaker console then 360 over all. COD black ops 2 was much worse on wiiu 10 frames behind and sonic all star was lower resolution then the 360 version. need for speed they added lighting but no where in any port that did wiiu win in perfomance. saying wiiu is more powerful is factually wrong when you compare both the cpu and gpu, at best you can say they are on par cause of more ram and that's being nice cause the ram was half the speed as 360/ps3.

looking at exclusives is just a prefernce thing, no one can look at the game and say yea this makes the console more powerful or is more demanding then the other game with totally different engine, art style and goals. This also depends on the  skill of the devs. For example ps4 exclusives looked better then anything on pc that by huge margin when they first released that doesn't make ps4 more powerful then a PC with a slightly more powerful GPU. different engines have differnt goals and different art styles some are more taxing then others this is impossible to tell. How the heck do i know if wiiu can run last of us, uncharted 3, gears of war 3, or halo 4 with such a weak cpu i really don't but i'm not gonna assume it can't till i see a ports. i would bet 360 runs BOTW at a better frame rate and run MK8 with no problems, but i doubt wiiu could run those games using 3 wii cpu's duct taped together. you can argue all day why this game is techically more demanding and why this game can run or can't, a port actually gives the hardware a chance and to see how they run, better then just pure specualtion of why this can't or can run on this hardware. One more example is 360 vs ps3 sony exclusives looked much better and was always labled as the way more powerful console till the end of the gen when gears 3. and halo 4 came out and actually closed the gap interms of what people thought were the more impressive games.

As for XCX we are beating a dead horse, to me the game looks terrible and reminded of a 6th gen game. it's  exaggerated expression, like i said dark souls 2 looks like a ps2 game plenty of times no one responds cause obviously if they wanna get technical it's not.