By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81
Leynos said:
farlaff said:

@italics: love it

@bold: to this day, I still think this is the best action/shooter ever made. I played it so, so much I could go on hard any time and beat it without dying, even with the excruciating difficulty. But then one night, on a Saturday in 92 or 93 (probably the latter), my folks were travelling and I had three friends come home for a full night of gaming (one of them a dear cousin that sadly passed away a few years ago). We played lots of Street Fighter, Top Gear and other multiplayer games, rotating the four according to wins (only two controllers could be used by then, for those who did not live those times), but at one time one of the other friends said: why don't we try to beat Contra III in two player hard mode? (way harder than in single, since the actions of one player affect the moving of the screen and can screw the other's movement, which usually renders lots of friendly kills). He used to play pretty much as well as I did, and I said: "but the guys will be left out of the rotation". The two other ones said we should go for it, as it was very late at night and they were already tired. I remember we played the first three stages very, very well, even without previous co-op training between us. Then came the air battle and things really started to heat! We managed to clear that and the 5th stage, going very confidently into the Final Boss. IIRC, the first form went, ahm, ok, I guess, but we started getting destroyed by the two final forms. We died. A LOT! That pesky sound/noise of losing a life being more constant and getting to our nerves! But no continue was allowed in our "rules". Two much adrenaline was on it that we did not know who lost the most lives, but we kept going, pushing, shooting, and trying to avoid the incoming attacks. We ended up doing it, in our first try, and could not believe our eyes. Probably Midnight and a bunch of 15-16 year olds were screaming like crazy, so the neighbors probably felt that was weird. I remember it vividly and it's one of the best memories of my (long) gaming life, ever. It was a blast lol.

Ever played Gunstar Hereos or Alien Soldier? Worth checking out. Also, try the remake on Steam/PS4 or Assault Suit Leynos then play on classic mode. Recently Assault Suit Leynos 2 released on consoles and that is one tough game.

I did play Gunstar Heroes! I swapped a friend's Mega Drive to play it back then lmao. Loved it. But I did not play Alien Soldier or Leynos. I might check those, but I'm not the same anymore even though I still do very well in F-Zero 99 hehehehe.

Around the Network

Being a child of the 90s and becoming a teenager in teh 2000s the golden age of gaming was the 7th gen. It is when graphics seemed magical.

BiON!@ 

hellobion2 said:

Being a child of the 90s and becoming a teenager in teh 2000s the golden age of gaming was the 7th gen. It is when graphics seemed magical.

While graphics were impressive that gen and I was 12 when n64 came out. Graphics stopped blowing me away after resident evil 4. Don't get me wrong they were impressive but nothing that I couldn't believe my eyes anymore I guess that comes with being older.  The combination of art and graphics came to life like nothing before it.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 16 July 2024

The 7th gen was the last one where graphics blew me away personally.

Seeing stuff like Gears of War and Uncharted 2 for the first time was mind blowing, the leap over anything from the previous generation was gargantuan.

There have been games since then that impressed me, such as Ryse Son of Rome in 2013 or Hellblade 2 this year, but to me at least the leaps grew less pronounced over time.

curl-6 said:

Seeing stuff like Gears of War and Uncharted 2 for the first time was mind blowing, the leap over anything from the previous generation was gargantuan.

There have been games since then that impressed me, such as Ryse Son of Rome in 2013 or Hellblade 2 this year, but to me at least the leaps grew less pronounced over time.

Kinda feel the ps4 leap was just as Massive and over the os4 leap impressed if you played gow 2018 and red dead 2 when they came out the graphics we truly amazing but I just feel when you get older graphics just don't blow your mind like when you a kid 

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Kinda feel the ps4 leap was just as Massive and over the os4 leap impressed if you played gow 2018 and red dead 2 when they came out the graphics we truly amazing but I just feel when you get older graphics just don't blow your mind like when you a kid 

Those games definitely looked great, I just feel like the improvements became more gradual over time.

It's not that they weren't a big leap over PS3/360, they were, just not quite as huge a leap to my eyes as going from say original Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 to stuff like Gears of War 1-2, Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Oblivion, Dead Space, Uncharted 1-2, etc.

Naturally everyone's perception is different so it depends on the person.

Pajderman said:

For me 7th win with a landslide
Wii > WiiU
Xbox360 > XboxOne
DS >> 3DS
PS3 < PS4
PSP >>> PSVita

The only console from each maker that I prefer the 8th gen version of is Playstation 4, but I still like way more games released on PS3 compared to the ps4.
WiiU was the worst and I used my 3DS to play DS games more than 3DS games, and my favorite 3DS games was remakes.

Of each console generation I lived through the 8th is dead last. I think that things that happened in my personal life at the start of the 8th generation had an impact on my feelings towards it.

I just won't post an opinion, because this one represents mine almost exactly - maybe I'd use different numbers of <<>> :D

At least as far as the Nintendo systems and Sony handhelds go. I don't really care enough about PS3/PS4/Xbox to have an opinion on those ones.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

curl-6 said:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. The leap to HD was the last time I was truly bowled over by graphics. Stuff like Oblivion and Gears of War and even Kameo made a big impression on me. It’s been diminishing returns since then.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. The leap to HD was the last time I was truly bowled over by graphics. Stuff like Oblivion and Gears of War and even Kameo made a big impression on me. It’s been diminishing returns since then.

LOL if you think ps3 to ps4  was diminishing returns it's a sign of getting old. When GOW was first revealed at E3 everyone thought no way can this run on ps4 and that's CGI.

God of War 2018 is a great looking game, but it came out 5 years into the generation; by then there were a lot of great looking PS4 games.

It's typically the early years of a generation where new boundaries are being pushed; back in 2006-2007, there was nothing else that looked like Gears of War, or Bioshock, or COD4, or Uncharted, they were pioneered uncharted territory in video game graphics and the jump from what most people were used to playing (PS2/OG Xbox/Gamecube) was absolutely massive.