By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom out now on Switch

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Need to play more but not loving it. Seems tedious having to go through two dozens echoes constantly. And battles are slow given my echoes companions are dumb as heck.

I'd recommend using the green snakes, they are fast-hitting and aggressive, and spawning several of them makes short work of many foes.

Another trick is you can effectively emulate a melee attack by spawning an urchin or one of the fire guys right on top of an enemy and hit them instantly. 

I upgraded my sword energy, which helps.  Darknuts help as well.  Dungeons are cool.  Overworld is ok.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

There's pretty much nothing you can't do. The game is all about getting creative and find solutions for battles and puzzles your very own way. Yesterday I was walking on top of trees because I was too lazy to follow the normal path, lol. The developers not only allow you to break the game. They encourage you to do just that.

I understand that not everyone will like this kind of gameplay. But I'm loving it so far.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Chrkeller said:

Need to play more but not loving it. Seems tedious having to go through two dozens echoes constantly. And battles are slow given my echoes companions are dumb as heck.

The game with really benefit a favourites list. Multiple even, so you can split traversal and combat into easy accessible groups.
Would also be nice if left shoulder button would bring up favourites like this:

Right joy con to point and choose, right shoulder button to flip between different lists.

Or make the left shoulder button a modifier, why holding down LR, face buttons B, A, X, Y, become 4 different customisable echoes.
Bit of a shame they didn't hear the complaints from TotK UI system and basically just copied it.

With combat I tend to respawn echoes a lot as they attack faster when the are spawned compared to follow-up attacks. They never go to the target I'm targeting though. Most of the combat is really easy, but it's not taking away any of the enjoyment for me.

I'm trying to like it, but this 2D Zelda is not - Echoes are trivializing combat, exploration and 2D Zelda's inherent Metroidvania core, with constant gameplay interruptions due to awful Echoes interface to find one you want.

Not a bad game, but what is interesting premise went way overboard - sometimes, less is more.

The more I play the more I do like it. Munchy is right, a favorites list would be really nice. Creative game. Just takes a while to adjust because it is a lot different.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Weather is crap today so I played a lot. Games is clicking. Echoes is amazing, my GotY thus far. Granted the year is a bit weak and I haven't played Astro.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I got so focused on the use of echoes I completely forgot for a while that you can use bind as a tool in combat as well; drop a bad guy off a cliff or into a body of water or lava, spawn a water block and drag an enemy into it to drown them, feels so evil in the best way.

HoloDust said:

I'm trying to like it, but this 2D Zelda is not - Echoes are trivializing combat, exploration and 2D Zelda's inherent Metroidvania core, with constant gameplay interruptions due to awful Echoes interface to find one you want.

Not a bad game, but what is interesting premise went way overboard - sometimes, less is more.

I cannot see myself playing this bad video game. Do people really think it is a cool thing to “break” a video game? It gets old fast. This game trivializes combat and traversal. One the best aspects of BotW to me was actually fighting the obstacles imposed by nature when trying to reach the top of a mountain or crossing a river. Then came TotK with its “abilities” and completely destroyed everything. EoW is now doing the same. Sad. 

It's not often you hear Nintendo youtubers not being extremely positive, when they are slightly disappointed you know it's a poor game. Everyone likes the art design at least. From what I'm seeing online it seems it got the Nintendo bump on aggregates sites. What were they thinking with that UI for echos, I feel frustrated just watching people try to an echo.

LegitHyperbole said:

It's not often you hear Nintendo youtubers not being extremely positive, when they are slightly disappointed you know it's a poor game. Everyone likes the art design at least. From what I'm seeing online it seems it got the Nintendo bump on aggregates sites. 

Nintendo fans can be some of the company's biggest critics, as they are often very attached to their IPs and so a big change like this won't always resonate with them. The game was overall well received.

There's no such thing as the "Nintendo bump", their games simply appeal to a lot of people.