By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

The Mariko (which is basically every Switch from August 2019 onwards) can easily overclock, the thing barely even gets warm, and you can see that fan speed doesn't even go above 50%. My brother's is modded, he gets about 3-4 hours of battery life even at max clocks. I'm just waiting for a Switch 2 so I don't care about doing it, honestly I don't really mind playing at 30 fps anyway, sure 60 is better but it's not something I lie awake in bed at night over. 

They were clearly planning a 4K/Pro Switch model though, there's no way they added 4K output to the dock and even changed the chipset itself (to allow it to output 4K60 max), so they were going to do it. 

In a few years they will probably just admit it, same way they initially said nothing about a Game Boy Atlantis model (32-bit successor) but then admitted to it years after the fact. 

Dude your theory is easily debunked most of Nintendo best selling games are already 1080p/60fps. allowing to be over clocked wouldn't even give you 60fps in most games with out a mod but they could have easily helped with 3rd party games which no one is gonna buy third-party  remastersr on switch 2. The biggest benefit would have went to zelda locked at 30fps and with a 1080p image quality, that's it. you make it these theories with out even properly thinking about it. 

Those Nintendo games would've been above 1080p on the Switch Pro. 

The proof is right there, they added 4K output to the dock and even altered the DP lanes on the chipset of the system itself to specifically allow for 4K60 output. There is also another Youtuber who was able to get higher than 1080p on Switch games (Nintendo ones like Pokemon) by emulating the system on itself (lol). So it does work. 

3rd party games would've benefitted both by resolution boost and/or frame rate jump we can see this already in games like DOOM Eternal, you can get 60 fps undocked or you can have higher resolution at 30 fps, which looks significantly sharper. Not much different from a PS4 - PS4 Pro. 

Miyamoto said that they made a mistake not making the Wii support HD resolutions, it's entirely plausible that circa 2017/18 they were anticipating already a Wii-like downturn for the 2nd half of the Switch product cycle and were planning on a Pro model that would support 4K (to rectify the mistake they made on the Wii). 

It just turned out COVID changed the entire trajectory of their plans. It wasn't needed and would've actually been a detriment to Switch 2 so they had the luxury of not using that bullet this gen. 

Unlikely that will repeat for them next gen, but they got away with it this gen. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Dude your theory is easily debunked most of Nintendo best selling games are already 1080p/60fps. allowing to be over clocked wouldn't even give you 60fps in most games with out a mod but they could have easily helped with 3rd party games which no one is gonna buy third-party  remastersr on switch 2. The biggest benefit would have went to zelda locked at 30fps and with a 1080p image quality, that's it. you make it these theories with out even properly thinking about it. 

Those Nintendo games would've been above 1080p on the Switch Pro. 

The proof is right there, they added 4K output to the dock and even altered the DP lanes on the chipset of the system itself to specifically allow for 4K60 output. There is also another Youtuber who was able to get higher than 1080p on Switch games (Nintendo ones like Pokemon) by emulating the system on itself (lol). So it does work. 

3rd party games would've benefitted both by resolution boost and/or frame rate jump we can see this already in games like DOOM Eternal, you can get 60 fps undocked or you can have higher resolution at 30 fps, which looks significantly sharper. Not much different from a PS4 - PS4 Pro. 

Miyamoto said that they made a mistake not making the Wii support HD resolutions, it's entirely plausible that circa 2017/18 they were anticipating already a Wii-like downturn for the 2nd half of the Switch product cycle and were planning on a Pro model that would support 4K (to rectify the mistake they made on the Wii). 

It just turned out COVID changed the entire trajectory of their plans. It wasn't needed and would've actually been a detriment to Switch 2 so they had the luxury of not using that bullet this gen. 

Unlikely that will repeat for them next gen, but they got away with it this gen. 

just looked at doom at 60fps looks like 400p for god's sake stop the hyperbole. 

burninmylight said:
Chrkeller said:

So Nintendo isn't going to boost performance of Switch games on the S2 via BC?  Instead they will resell the same games and run them at better performance?  The better performance is something they could easily offer now, but are purposely preventing just to be awful to consumers?  

Jesus, you make Nintendo sound like a terrible company.  :(  

Sorry, I don't view Nintendo in the same light.  Nintendo is a damn good company and have their hardware designed for good reasons; battery and life span.

Feel free to have the last word.  I actually play games and would prefer to talk actual games, not your console warz.

Not trying to take sides here, but you're talking about the same company that charged you to "upgrade" Wii VC console games to Wii U VC, that charged you for the same games on the 3DS VC even if you have them on Wii or Wii U VC, that didn't give you any sort of discount or cross-save for games like Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS even though it can see your associated games and play history on your Nintendo account, and that didn't bother boosting the performance of old games on their successor consoles with backwards compatibility (DS>3DS, Wii>Wii U).

Prior to the Switch, even moving your account and associated games to a different unit was a laborious process that required calling Nintendo, giving a serial number or MAC address and damn near sacrificing the blood of a virgin lamb before it was willing to allow you that privilege. God forbid you have your original stolen or lost.

I love Nintendo too, but it ain't the most consumer-friendly company either.

No doubt.  But do you really think the switch is 2x more capable and Nintendo is for no reason down clocking the hardware, intentionally running games at lower resolution and fps, to only sell the exact games a second time on the S2?  Sorry, I ain't buying that narrative.

I don't see Nintendo purposely making PMTYD 30 fps max on the switch, when it could easily be 60 fps, intentionally to sell it at full price on the S2 upgraded to 60 fps.

I mean what sounds more reasonable?  Nintendo having a massive conspiracy running that prevents the switch from running at higher performance to resell the same games on future hardware.....  or the switch was downclocked for battery and life span?

Occam's Razor.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 18 June 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Don't really care for excuses you make to defend your beloved company if the hardware was held back for no good reason which in reality wouldn't have made a difference, it's a shitty move by nintedno and really shows how crappy of a company they are.    

There is a good reason, you just don't like it, but if you were running their business I doubt you would do any differently. 

A Switch Pro that allowed games to run at 60 fps and potentially even some games at 4K (and there is a video that shows definitely the Switch can run 4K games) would be a serious problem for the Switch 2 because then you'd have a bunch of stubborn people saying "well, I already have 4K and 60 fps on my Switch Pro, why should I buy a Switch 2". 

After Wii U and 3DS, that's the last headache Nintendo needs, Switch is a massive success but by the same token now the real work begins because repeating it becomes harder (ask Iwata). 

I would do the exact same thing if I was in Furukawa's shoes.

But for people who want the extra performance, hey it's there for you really, it's not some giant mystery how to overclock a Switch these days. You can get 60 fps and even higher resolution in a bunch of games if you want it. 

You're seriously overstating the impact of this. The PS4 Pro has not stopped the PS5 from being a big success so why would it be so different here? Maybe it would cause a small negative impact but a serious problem? It'd not be anywhere near that bad.

Some people act like the Switch has the specs of an iPhone 4s, but A LOT of other people act like the system can run everything at 1080p and 60fps which is not true.

Around the Network
Norion said:
Soundwave said:

There is a good reason, you just don't like it, but if you were running their business I doubt you would do any differently. 

A Switch Pro that allowed games to run at 60 fps and potentially even some games at 4K (and there is a video that shows definitely the Switch can run 4K games) would be a serious problem for the Switch 2 because then you'd have a bunch of stubborn people saying "well, I already have 4K and 60 fps on my Switch Pro, why should I buy a Switch 2". 

After Wii U and 3DS, that's the last headache Nintendo needs, Switch is a massive success but by the same token now the real work begins because repeating it becomes harder (ask Iwata). 

I would do the exact same thing if I was in Furukawa's shoes.

But for people who want the extra performance, hey it's there for you really, it's not some giant mystery how to overclock a Switch these days. You can get 60 fps and even higher resolution in a bunch of games if you want it. 

You're seriously overstating the impact of this. The PS4 Pro has not stopped the PS5 from being a big success so why would it be so different here? Maybe it would cause a small negative impact but a serious problem? It'd not be anywhere near that bad.

The fact is though that even with Marika over clocked. Switch 2 will be a significantly bigger jump them ps4 pro to ps5. Again he's also using mods and with mods we have seen games from 30fps to near 60fps like Starfield for example on pc. Then they patched it with a 60fps. With Nintendo games for example even with the switch over clocked they could just add a few bells and whistles and that's it. So him saying they would gimp hardware to worry about hardware that's gonna blow switch of the water is a ridiculous theory. 

The Mariko model can clock higher, it's not really some kind of weird "mod" ... the chip can comfortably hit those clock speed without a problem. The fan as I've said doesn't even hit 50% speed, stays around 45% max on Mariko models when overclocked. The Mariko at the higher clocks IS what that chip should be running at.

The Mariko also maintains a solid 3-4+ hour battery life when clocked higher, which already was accepted as good on the OG Switch.

There's a very, very good probability that Nintendo meant to allow this to be a 4K/Pro model of the Switch, we can see for ourselves the 4K out on the dock was added so was DP lane changes to the chipset to allow 4K/60.

When they realized they didn't need a Pro/4K and it would in fact make selling a Switch 2 harder, I think they quickly pivoted and simply slapped an OLED display on it and called it a day, but we can see the 4K modifications they made in the dock and on the chip itself.

This is what Miyamoto said about HD on the Wii too:

“I felt like I wanted to go to HD sooner.
Even for the Wii, no matter how much it made the system cost, it would have been great if it were HD in the first place. However, it was going to take some time for HD televisions to become common and we felt that until that point was reached, there would have been no point for Wii to be HD.
From our point of view, once the subsequent generation to Wii came around, HD televisions would be more common and we felt it would be time to make our games in HD then. However, HD became more common about 2 to 3 years earlier than we had anticipated. A main part of that was that the prices for HD televisions manufactured overseas had gone down at an unthinkable pace.
So, as a result, while we were right in the middle of selling the Wii, the TVs in people’s living rooms (in Japan) were slowly becoming HD sets. Overseas especially people had never so rapidly and drastically changed their hardware to the newest technology but in America as well HD TVs became standard little by little.”

In early 2017 when the Switch was launching 4K TV adoption was at like 20% of TVs only, so it makes entire sense that to avoid a repeat of the Wii their plan then was to have a Pro/4K model in the back half of the product cycle (thus avoiding the mistake of the Wii). COVID simply totally changed the entire outlook of the generation, not only was there no decline in Switch sales momentum in the back half of its product cycle, the sales surge from COVID onwards has propelled the system to higher than average sales from year 3 onwards.

It's like the system hit age 3, and then froze its normal aging process for 2 years as COVID lockdowns caused a massive boom for Switch hardware sales. 

kazuyamishima said:

Some people act like the Switch has the specs of an iPhone 4s, but A LOT of other people act like the system can run everything at 1080p and 60fps which is not true.

It can run a lot of things at 60 fps or higher resolution/30 fps (that kind of goes without saying). More than I think people realize. 

Here are even more examples, Dying Light is a PS4-XB1 era FPS, can run at 60:

Here is Overwatch 2, another PS4 game which can run at 60 fps:

Here is FC Soccer, which runs on the PS4 Frostbite engine that EA said previously was difficult to get running on the Switch, it runs 53-57 FPS it looks like in gameplay:

Here is a video that shows pretty definitively the Switch can also render games at even 4K resolution:

Last edited by Soundwave - on 18 June 2024

Chrkeller said:
burninmylight said:

Not trying to take sides here, but you're talking about the same company that charged you to "upgrade" Wii VC console games to Wii U VC, that charged you for the same games on the 3DS VC even if you have them on Wii or Wii U VC, that didn't give you any sort of discount or cross-save for games like Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS even though it can see your associated games and play history on your Nintendo account, and that didn't bother boosting the performance of old games on their successor consoles with backwards compatibility (DS>3DS, Wii>Wii U).

Prior to the Switch, even moving your account and associated games to a different unit was a laborious process that required calling Nintendo, giving a serial number or MAC address and damn near sacrificing the blood of a virgin lamb before it was willing to allow you that privilege. God forbid you have your original stolen or lost.

I love Nintendo too, but it ain't the most consumer-friendly company either.

No doubt.  But do you really think the switch is 2x more capable and Nintendo is for no reason down clocking the hardware, intentionally running games at lower resolution and fps, to only sell the exact games a second time on the S2?  Sorry, I ain't buying that narrative.

I don't see Nintendo purposely making PMTYD 30 fps max on the switch, when it could easily be 60 fps, intentionally to sell it at full price on the S2 upgraded to 60 fps.

I mean what sounds more reasonable?  Nintendo having a massive conspiracy running that prevents the switch from running at higher performance to resell the same games on future hardware.....  or the switch was downclocked for battery and life span?

Occam's Razor.  

https://youtu.be/a-XR64QHOmE?si=nDUHS_AITz-Bgher

Just watched this from df and here we can see games with higher clocks and get  a accurate analysis of what stock games with out being heavily modded look like with a over clock and this confirms the hyperbole from soundwave.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Occam's Razor.  

Just watched this from df and here we can see games with higher clocks and get  a accurate analysis of what stock games with out being heavily modded look like with a over clock and this confirms the hyperbole from soundwave.

Those are older videos, there are better OC programs today and better mods. 

The videos I've posted are right there, you tell me which one doesn't have higher performance or is "cheating" somehow. There are like 30+ games I can list. 

People are playing these games at these settings every day. The Santiago Santiago channel in particular is a very good Youtuber for performance testing. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 18 June 2024