By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation portable 3, Do you think it possible?

PSP3...

High possibility 6 18.18%

Low possibility 16 48.48%

Definitely happening 1 3.03%

Definitely NOT happening 8 24.24%

Other 2 6.06%

Total:33
LegitHyperbole said:
zeldaring said:

I was talking about myself. I don't get the love cause I can use a laptop and game everywhere just like a handheld but with a much better screen and controls, especially these bigger handhelds which are half the size of 14 inch laptop

How does a laptop have better controls?

You can use a mouse and key board and almost any controller you want  works on pc. For example I can play in by bed or my car with a ps5 controller with a switch or steam deck the screen is too small.

Around the Network

Handhelds need to be the size of Vita again and stop with the 8-inch screens and the system so thick its ass can be in a rap music video.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Seems like it could be confusing to consumers since they just released PS Portal. Regardless of that, not sure there is really a market for one.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Leynos said:

Handhelds need to be the size of Vita again and stop with the 8-inch screens and the system so thick its ass can be in a rap music video.

That’s what Switch Lite is for.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Leynos said:

That’s what Switch Lite is for.

Yeah, but those sticks will drift. Put in hall effect

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Totally, the market evolved in a way that companies with handheld computers don't need to compete with Nintendo, the market is basically equivalent to the phone and laptop markets. Many people were vocal about how they didn't like Portal but it keeps selling so that is a good signal and finally the fact that Lenovo can produce disposable handhelds means Sony also can do it. So basically everything is there for them to make a push now the question is when? This year won't happen and they will probably release the pro5, the next gen will probably start at the end of 2026, it should be after that but who knows.

Big question is if it would use X86 or ARM. Steamdeck uses X86, Switch uses ARM.

ARM is usually better for battery live and might overall be a cheaper design. But if the PSP3 would take advantage of ARM there would not be a plug-and-play for the PS4 library of games. These games need work in porting them.

If it uses X86 it has the same challenges as Steamdeck in battery live and price. Or in other words a portable PC, not a dedicated handheld/hybrid design like Switch.

Other question is if such a PSP3 would support physical media or be digital games only. If digital only it would limit its appeal.

Last edited by Tober - on 06 June 2024

Tober said:

Big question is if it would use X86 or ARM. Steamdeck uses X86, Switch uses ARM.

ARM is usually better for battery live and might overall be a cheaper design. But if the PSP3 would take advantage of ARM there would not be a plug-and-play for the PS4 library of games. These games need work in porting them.

If it uses X86 it has the same challenges as Steamdeck in battery live and price. Or in other words a portable PC, not a dedicated handheld/hybrid design like Switch.

Other question is if such a PSP3 would support physical media or be digital games only. If digital only it would limit its appeal.

I don't think so, Digital only is now the time. God knows a memory stick on Switch is preferable to messing with carts. Can't even find where my carts are, bloody small little things. I don't think anyone likes carts. 

Doctor_MG said:

haxxiy said

...or they could release it with the PS4 APU shrunk to N6 or whatever. 100% instant compatibility and it would be pretty cheap (<75mm²) to boot.

And reopen manufacturing for that older hardware after they shut it down a couple years ago?

I don't see it. Not to mention that the APU wasn't designed for low wattage, so the device would have very poor battery life. 

I don't understand what you mean. They wouldn't 'reopen' anything, it would use the same foundries they're currently using for the PS5 and use the same die template Sony bought from AMD over a decade ago.

Besides, yeah, it kinda was. Jaguar are mobile CPU cores. And the wattage-frequency curve for modern nodes are now way way past where they were for the GCN cores.

We're talking about a die that would be a fraction of the size and frequencies or other mobile hardware really. The PS4 is really old tech at this point.

I like portables more than laptops. Gaming laptops are heavy and hard to carry around.

I want a Deck 2, assuming a better gpu/cpu chipset.

Personally, I wasn't thrilled the performance of the 3050, not given the size and weight of the laptop.  

A deck is 600 grams.  My 3050 laptop is 2,800 grams....  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 06 June 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED