Super Mario 64 5 12.82%

Ocarina of Time 11 28.21%

Breath of the Wild 11 28.21%

Tears of the Kingdom 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles X 3 7.69%

Twilight Princess 3 7.69%

Total:39

Okay, VGChartz has spoken, and the poll is live!
Voting will last for 48 hours, after which the winner will be declared.

What are your thoughts on the nominees? Any you think got robbed, or shouldn't be there?
If your choice didn't make it, which of the ones that did gets your vote?

Around the Network

If you ever wanted to watch a video that does a good job making the case for why OoT is the best video game ever made, this is the one.

curl-6 said:

Okay, VGChartz has spoken, and the poll is live!
Voting will last for 48 hours, after which the winner will be declared.

What are your thoughts on the nominees? Any you think got robbed, or shouldn't be there?
If your choice didn't make it, which of the ones that did gets your vote?

Zelda is my favorite franchise but I find OoT grossly overrated.  I found the game, even back in the day, a bit bland.  It lacked character.  

I've always thought it gets way too much love.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

My pick did not make the shortlist, that's OK! I was cheating a bit with Super Mario All Stars

Because the poll is about the BEST and not the MOST IMPORTANT, I go for Breath of the Wild. An unforgettable magical experience and one that I fellt is a more focused game than it's successor.

Non surprisingly enough, BOTW is gonna win, but my vote went for TOTK. It's just the better game of the 2 really, but impact wise and perception, BOTW will win the debate because it's the first child of the duology and made a new statement on the Open World genre ...

Something that wouldn't 've been achieved without Monolith Soft which previously worked on also one of the best Open World game of it's generation and the building stones to BOTW.

Anywoo, just stating all that to say, I would've choosen Xenoblade Chronicles 3(+ Future Redeemed) as my personal. It truly is the perfect culmination of their years of experience in the VG domain without the need to butt their heads on the walls in some shape or form.

Though to be frank, there's sooo many games made by Nintendo that achieves a level of craft almost unparalleled to this industry, so I doubt there's really a wrong choice to be made here haha.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Breath of the Wild currently leads in votes, with Ocarina of Time in second place 5 votes behind, followed by Mario 64.

I think BotW is the obvious choice here. I guess some people will vote their favorite game, while some people are saying they are thinking about the game that was the most revolutionary in terms of advancing the medium. Most revolutionary I think comes down to Mario 64, OoT, and BotW. M64 and OoT showed the industry how to make 3D games. BotW showed the industry how to make a game that truly gives the player total freedom to do what they want. TotK probably did that even more in an impressive way, but it was an evolution on the revolution that BotW was.

As amazing as M64 and OoT are, and they are still fantastic to play today, part of the reason they were so revolutionary was because they were in the early days of 3D. That doesn't change the magnificence of their accomplishment, but they are partly revolutionary just because it was the early days and nobody had yet figured out how to make incredible 3D games yet. BotW, however, came along long after open world games have existed, and completely blew them all away.

Playing BotW gives most people a sense of wonder and a feeling of "wow, this is what we dreamed gaming would be like one day as a kid, not just better graphic and bigger games, but creating a world where you can do anything!" TotK took that even further, though is usually compared less favorably to BotW because its simply an evolution on BotW and because he borrowed the map and so for many didn't feel enough like an actual new game but just a rehashing of BotW. Games will of course continue to advance well beyond BotW in the future, as there is still a ton of room to grow beyond it, just as was the case for M64 and OoT, but I think BotW is the first good realization of the dream of what gaming could be. BotW did that despite 3D games and open world games being advanced and around for a long long time. It's the kind of advance I don't think people even thought was possible these days in gaming, which is why they were so blown away by it.

BotW is one of the most impressive games ever made, one of the best games every made, and one of the most revolutionary games ever made. And it'll be the model going forward for the gaming industry for a long time. So I voted for it.

Mar1217 said:

Non surprisingly enough, BOTW is gonna win, but my vote went for TOTK. It's just the better game of the 2 really, but impact wise and perception, BOTW will win the debate because it's the first child of the duology and made a new statement on the Open World genre ...

Well I personally think TotK is vastly inferior to BotW in nearly every aspect. It's not about which one came first.

BotW was revolutionary and it kept a consistent atmosphere and cohesive narrative binding it all together. TotK feels like just a bunch of random gameplay ideas stitched together by whatever story they could make up after doing a Miyazaki marathon.

And it doubles down on BotW worst mistake (repetitive rewards for repetitive mini-puzzles), instead of fixing it - it was understandable in BotW because of how difficult it was to develop a game like that, but TotK had 6 years of work on the same engine and on the same map. There's no excuse for having another 160-something shrines and a billion koroks instead of actually interesting content.

I could go on, but I won't.

mZuzek said:
Mar1217 said:

Well I personally think TotK is vastly inferior to BotW in nearly every aspect. It's not about which one came first.

BotW was revolutionary and it kept a consistent atmosphere and cohesive narrative binding it all together. TotK feels like just a bunch of random gameplay ideas stitched together by whatever story they could make up after doing a Miyazaki marathon.

And it doubles down on BotW worst mistake (repetitive rewards for repetitive mini-puzzles), instead of fixing it - it was understandable in BotW because of how difficult it was to develop a game like that, but TotK had 6 years of work on the same engine and on the same map. There's no excuse for having another 160-something shrines and a billion koroks instead of actually interesting content.

I could go on, but I won't.

Oh C'mon, can you stop trying to argue intentional design mechanics with an impressive physic engine that embodies the freedom to express yourself in an open world playground is simply a bunch of random ideas stringed together.

Aside, this is an iterative sequel, the re-use of structural ideas such as the koroks or the shrines might not be your cup of tea but is completely valid and a reason why exploring is also worth it. Such is magnified by the additions of cave systems, the Depths and the Sky Islands. Speaking of iterative content, by far the dungeons and the bosses were great ameliorations over BOTW. 

My point remains, if you were to choose one of the two games unexperienced, TOTK is simply the better and more complete packaging to go through.

But I digress, the thread is about the discussion of our favorite Nintendo developed game. Is BOTW your's ? I've already spoke of mine for Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I see Brawl didn't make it though it got more agrees than one might expect. My vote goes to TotK then which is perhaps, maybe also my actual favorite... maybe (it's a close one).

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat