By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hellblade II - "A defining moment in the evolution of realtime graphics"

I love how scalable engines are, it allows for a lot of consumer choice.

Deck 2, hopefully will have some major bumps in performance.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I like Unreal Engine. It makes some beautiful visuals, and usually it doesn't require a very powerful RIG to work.

My Geforce GT 730 (RIP) managed to run a lot of Unreal Engine 4 games. VISAGE was a good example. Also, Bulletstorm back in PS3/360 days was made in Unreal Engine 3, and I remember it looking really nice.

Yeah Bulletstorm was a real looker; UE3 produced some of the best looking games of the 7th gen such as the Gears of War games, Mass Effect 3, and Bioshock Infinite. It even scaled well into the following gen with Batman Arkham Knight and Outlast II.

Then UE4 went on to power some of the best looking games on PS4/XBO like Hellblade 1 and Gears 5, even scaling well to Switch with stuff like Pikmin 4, Yoshi's Crafted World, and the impressive ports of Hellblade, Bright Memory Infinite, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Great engine.

BTW, for anyone on Steam, Hellblade 1 when it goes on sale is $3 and still looks really really good. Highly recommend anyone who has yet to try this series to give 1 a go before diving into 2, and for $3 no one should have an excuse!

我是广州人

curl-6 said:

DF have released a followup covering how is performs on Series S, Steam Deck, and ROG Ally

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2024-can-xbox-series-s-handle-senuas-saga-hellblade-2

"The Series S also looks quite similar to the X, just with the expected cutbacks to resolution and the removal of Lumen reflections, which doesn't overly degrade the visuals. Weaker machines, like PC gaming handhelds, are also capable of a solid and good-looking experience, though the Steam Deck proves a bridge too far."

That's quite impressive for the Series S. Xbox sanity have been questioned a lot for making the Series S and requiring support for it, but I think one point have always been to de facto also secure maximum compatibility for different PC configuration since this is also a main market for them.

I'm looking a lot at handheld PC, I'm just waiting for the next gen (I mean device using upcoming RDNA 4) to jump in and seeing how this title perform on current device is very interesting.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 29 May 2024

Yeah given the insanely impressive graphics, I was unsure how the Series S with its weaker hardware would hold up, as it has struggled with a lot of demanding games, UE5 ones especially.

Goes to show that Microsoft's junior console can still produce great results in the right hands.

Around the Network

Hellblade 2 looks beuitful. Though I have to say it looks like a 60 dallor blue ray than a 60 dallor game based off the revieews that I have read.

BiON!@ 

hellobion2 said:

Hellblade 2 looks beuitful. Though I have to say it looks like a 60 dallor blue ray than a 60 dallor game based off the revieews that I have read.

If you liked the first one then you will like the second one. its bigger , higher budget and much deeper combat . I finished it in the weekend. did it on hard and got all the achievements and it took me 13 hours. Theres enough gameplay and the graphics especially during combat is stunning.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Hellblade 2 proved less successful than the hi-fi rush.

If they ditched the horror setting/sounds concept and made something more accessible to the every day person, but with the same focus on visual impressiveness, they'd make a lot more money. It can still be M rated and edgy, but a lot of people don't want to feel horrified while playing a video game. A lot more than do want that.

Dulfite said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

If they ditched the horror setting/sounds concept and made something more accessible to the every day person, but with the same focus on visual impressiveness, they'd make a lot more money. It can still be M rated and edgy, but a lot of people don't want to feel horrified while playing a video game. A lot more than do want that.

There's examples of other games leaning on graphics to sell the game and underperforming ... like that Avatar Frontiers game and another Unreal Engine 5 game in Immortals of Aveum which also flopped. Then even you can point to the recent big budget Final Fantasy games that have underperformed. There's something going on that's bigger than just one game, the marketplace is changing. What worked maybe 20-25 years ago doesn't work the same way any more. 

The issue lies with current gamers that are more immature and don't like games that have adult themes..

I personally sick of kiddie like games. We need more games that are not afraid to touch on adult themes.like.hellblade. gamers need to harden up.

ulfate said:

Oneeee-Chan!!! said: