By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor/Leak for specific RAM and storage capacity of the Switch sucessor (Centro Leak)

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

When you think about what Monolith was able to achieve on Wii with 66MB of usable RAM with Xenoblade. 1GB on Wii U with Xenoblade X and 3GB for Xenoblade 3 on Switch. It should be insane to see them work with 9-10GB of RAM.

Yeah given what we've seen Nintendo and their partners achieve on the Switch with games like Tears of the Kingdom, Luigi's Mansion 3, Metroid Prime Remastered, Mario Odyssey, etc, I can't wait to see what they can accomplish with far more resources.

12GB would be a great result for a Switch successor, and in fact a bigger leap in RAM than PS4 to PS5 or Xbox One to Xbox Series. I was honestly kinda worried we'd get 8GB in a bid to reduce costs.

I do think people are misunderstanding vram.  The size is how much can be stored and bandwidth is how fast data can be loaded and unloaded from the vram.  The ps4 was 176 gb/s and the ps5 is 448 gb/s.  That was a massive jump.  Don't get me wrong the switch to S2 is an absurd jump.  But I think people are focused way, way, way too much on size of the ram and are ignoring bandwidth.  

One of the reasons the Ally and Deck are limited in resolution and fps is because both of those require high memory bandwidths.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah given what we've seen Nintendo and their partners achieve on the Switch with games like Tears of the Kingdom, Luigi's Mansion 3, Metroid Prime Remastered, Mario Odyssey, etc, I can't wait to see what they can accomplish with far more resources.

12GB would be a great result for a Switch successor, and in fact a bigger leap in RAM than PS4 to PS5 or Xbox One to Xbox Series. I was honestly kinda worried we'd get 8GB in a bid to reduce costs.

I do think people are misunderstanding vram.  The size is how much can be stored and bandwidth is how fast data can be loaded and unloaded from the vram.  The ps4 was 176 gb/s and the ps5 is 448 gb/s.  That was a massive jump.  Don't get me wrong the switch to S2 is an absurd jump.  But I think people are focused way, way, way too much on size of the ram and are ignoring bandwidth.  

One of the reasons the Ally and Deck are limited in resolution and fps is because both of those require high memory bandwidths.  

Granted we don't know the exact bandwidth of Switch 2 yet, but given the Switch 1 had just 25GB/s, there's definitely the potential for enormous gains in speed as well as capacity. We'll have to wait and see, but it's definitely encouraging in the meantime that Nintendo seems not to have cut corners.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Granted we don't know the exact bandwidth of Switch 2 yet, but given the Switch 1 had just 25GB/s, there's definitely the potential for enormous gains in speed as well as capacity. We'll have to wait and see, but it's definitely encouraging in the meantime that Nintendo seems not to have cut corners.

No doubt the S2 is a massive jump, as it should be, given the Switch is decade old technology.  The S2 will max out at 120 gb/s, maybe less. 

My only point was don't rate the ps4 to ps5 just on amount, bandwidth is a huge player.  

In simple terms a still 5 gb image quality at:

30 fps needs 150 gb/s

60 fps needs 300 gb/s

120 fps needs 600 gb/s

Crank the resolution and image quality to 10 gb:

30 fps needs 300 gb/s

60 fps needs 600 gb/s

120 fps needs 1200 gb/s

This why only PC can do ultra settings, 4k at 100+ fps.

But yes, the S2 will be a powerful mobile device.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

No doubt the S2 is a massive jump, as it should be, given the Switch is decade old technology.  My only point was don't rate the ps4 to ps5 just on amount, bandwidth is a huge player.  

30 fps needs 150 gb/s

60 fps needs 300 gb/s

120 fps needs 600 gb/s

30 fps needs 300 gb/s

60 fps needs 600 gb/s

120 fps needs 1200 gb/s

PS4 to PS5 was roughly a 2.5 times increase in terms of speed by your numbers,  and 2 times in terms of total capacity.

So if Switch 2 is 12GB it's already a bigger leap in capacity, and if it's over 62.5GB/s then it's a bigger jump in speed too.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

No doubt the S2 is a massive jump, as it should be, given the Switch is decade old technology.  My only point was don't rate the ps4 to ps5 just on amount, bandwidth is a huge player.  

30 fps needs 150 gb/s

60 fps needs 300 gb/s

120 fps needs 600 gb/s

30 fps needs 300 gb/s

60 fps needs 600 gb/s

120 fps needs 1200 gb/s

PS4 to PS5 was roughly a 2.5 times increase in terms of speed by your numbers,  and 2 times in terms of total capacity.

So if Switch 2 is 12GB it's already a bigger leap in capacity, and if it's over 62.5GB/s then it's a bigger jump in speed too.

It is a bigger jump, I'm not arguing that.  I was just pointing out rating the jump by amount only doesn't paint the full picture.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Leynos said:

When you think about what Monolith was able to achieve on Wii with 66MB of usable RAM with Xenoblade. 1GB on Wii U with Xenoblade X and 3GB for Xenoblade 3 on Switch. It should be insane to see them work with 9-10GB of RAM.

Just imagine what Game Freak will be able to do with Pokemon.  The next games could look at good as ps3/wii u games!

Probably a long way off but I'm most excited about a possible Luigi's Mansion 4.  The S2 should have dramatically better lighting and particles than the Switch.

Would be funny to see if they could have the Pokémon models come even close to what we see in something like Pokken Tournament.

Actually, another Pokken tournament by Bandai Namco would be quite a nice release if they were to have more characters in the roster too.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

LMFAO Everyday proof that nintendo haters are so pathetic and retarded they can't even do basic math. 5gb of ram for games at 176 gb/s on ps4 vs 12.5gb of ram at 448 gb/s on ps5 is a 2.5x increase on both. 3gb of ram at 24 gb/s on Switch vs 10-10.5gb of ram at 120 gb/s on Switch 2 is a 3.3-3.5x increase in ran amount and 5x increase in speed. The gpu and cpu are also bigger increases, the resolution gap is wider AND there's dlss on top.

The Switch 2's EVERYTHING is a bigger jump over switch than the ps5 was to the ps4 and you continue to whine like a bitch about it. You cheap loser keep on your ongoing crusade to troll the switch. It's so pathetic.

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

It is a bigger jump, I'm not arguing that.  I was just pointing out rating the jump by amount only doesn't paint the full picture.  

lolololololololololol even has the audacity to write this crap on the same page.

Pemalite said:
haxxiy said:

That would mean 120 GB/s of bandwidth, consistent with the GeForce 2050 in laptops, which is expected to be more or less similar to the Switch 2 GPU. Of course, the laptop GPU wouldn't have to share bandwidth with the CPU too, but still.

7,600MT/s is 486.4Gb/s.
486.4Gb/s X2 (Two chips) = 972.8Gb/s.
972.8Gb/s /8 (8 bits in a byte) = 121.6GB/s.

For comparison sake...

Playstation 4: 176GB/s.
Playstation 4 Pro: 217.6GB/s.
Xbox One: 68.3GB/s
Xbox Series X: 326GB/s.
Xbox Series S: 224GB/s.

So it definitely beats the Xbox One, but falls short of the Playstation 4.

HOWEVER... There are a ton of caveats to this which the raw numbers which everyone clings to doesn't tell us.

Things like Delta Colour Compression, Mesh Shading, Improved Culling and compression and even things like Tiled-based rasterization that the Playstation 4 and Xbox One didn't have... Means that it has more bandwidth to play with than the 121.6GB/s of memory bandwidth implies.

The real disappointment is the 12GB memory buffer, it's not enough.

But like all things... This is all rumor and not fact at this point.

Soundwave said:

12GB LPDDR5X RAM is basically the best of the best for portable devices and that's quite a lot of it, it points to a powerful chip to need that much bandwidth too, this is way faster than the RAM in the Steam Deck (88GB for SD versus 120GB/sec for Switch 2) or stock ROG Ally. To put it in perpsective this is the same RAM the new OLED iPad Pros just announced this week use and those are $1000+.

Not really. It depends how wide you want to take it... Because you can implement LPDDR2 in such a way that it offers more bandwidth than LPDDR5X.

LPDDR5X also does go higher than the rumored 7500MT/s. - 8533MT/s, 9600MT/s, 10700MT/s exist for example, so Nintendo wouldn't be using the latest and greatest in DRAM.
10700MT/s would put the bandwidth at 171.2GB/s which is in spitting distance of the PS4 and more in line with an RTX3050 which would be preferable.

I would have rather liked to have seen 16GB of memory at the very least... The current layout ensures we will have a 96bit or 192bit memory bus, likely 96bit to keep costs down or a silly clam-shell memory layout.

And 12GB is not a lot of memory in 2024, let alone in 2025 and beyond.
16GB is considered the minimum these days... And we need to also keep in mind that Nintendo's OS tends to be memory hungry and will likely steal 2-4GB of that 12GB leaving 8-10GB for developers, which is a pittance.
Remember the Series S is very memory starved and that has over 8GB for developers out of 10GB.

Things like DLSS, Ray Tracing and more want more Ram.

Comparing it to iPad's and Phones is doing the device a disservice, they are utilitarian devices, not purely gaming devices. Ram and GPU is the priority in a gaming device which reinforces the need for different priorities in hardware.

lololololol from which corner of your drunk being did you pull this BULLSHIT? Switch OS started at 1GB vs the needlessly excessive 3GB from ps4 and x1 and even more on ps5. Switch 2 will use 1.5-2 at most, leaving 10-10.5GB for games.

Hiku said:
Mar1217 said:

The use of UFS 3.1 was also the most likely solution to get much better storage speed without breaking the SSD NVd bank.

You can commonly find 521 GB nvme drives for $40-50.
Is that really such an expensive technology any more that they have to go with an alternative?

12 GB of RAM sounds good though. It's not 16, but I was worried they'd go with 8.

Sounds like it migth be somewhere around PS4 Pro - Series S.
Which is also better than expected.

You both knew very well that 12GB was the minimum of ram the switch 2 would get. And you're just nintendo haters trolling. The only thing you're worried is how much of a beating the competitors will take once the Switch 2 releases.

JRPGfan said:

12 gb is huge :) thats nice, was one of my worries, that they might to too low.

You both knew very well that 12GB was the minimum of ram the switch 2 would get. And you're just nintendo haters trolling. The only thing you're worried about is how much of a beating the competitors will take once the Switch 2 releases.

Chrkeller said:

Switch's current bandwidth is 25.6GB/s. Whereas this rumor is suggesting 120GB/s based on the spec. 

That's a larger leap than 176GB/s to 448GB/s. Add that to it being a jump from 4GB to 12 GB (where PS4 was 8GB to 16GB) and I think you see the idea. Switch to Switch 2, based on this rumor, would be a larger leap than PS4 to PS5 in percentage increase. As, bandwidth wise, PS5 is a 254% increase over PS4 whereas Switch 2 would be (according to this rumor) a 468% increase. In capacity, RAM doubled from PS4 to PS5 and tripled from Switch to Switch 2 (according to the rumor)

Which is fantastic. Switch 2 may be closer to the PS5 than the Switch was to the PS4. Which is just going to make porting things easier.