Forums - Sony Discussion - Best Final Fantasy on PS1

The best Final Fantasy on PS1

Final Fantasy VII 15 44.12%

Final Fantasy VIII 3 8.82%

Final Fantasy IX 13 38.24%

Final Fantasy Tactics 3 8.82%

Final Fantasy Origins 0 0%

Total:34

I voted 9 but my heart breaks to see no votes yet for 8. So here is some love for the ever underappreciated one:

The music is top. The art is top. The draw and junction system is misunderstood and was way ahead of its time. The story is nuts, but in a good way. And I hate handholding, which is non existend in 8. You either get the systems or you are doomed. You either find the ship of the white seeds literally ANYWHERE on the world map, or you just cannot progress. The Laguna-parts are awesome. The sci-fi is inspired. The cutscenes are cool as f*.

Around the Network

7 is just a lightning in a bottle, everything clicked and created something iconic. The characters are lovable and memorable, human and complex. The world and the music, the themes and philosophies, everything is just beautiful. And the story, there are so many things happening at the same time, several big threats that intertwine in ways that feel natural and logical. There's also confusion, but it's intentional, it's supposed to keep you guessing things until the end. The world itself and what you are trying to achieve are perfectly clear and coherent. The materia system is my favorite system of all FF games and even beyond. It gives you a lot of flexibility in how you want to approach fighting and it ties in with the world and the lore seamlessly. 7 is just something that will never happen again.
I also liked 8 very much. I was a bit of a graphics whore at the time, so the character models were a huge upgrade compared to the blocky things in 7. It felt like they tried to replicate 7 in many ways. The socially inept protagonist, his mentor who turned bad, other characters like the martial artist and the gunslinger and so on. Forgotten memories that open up in the end for big reveals, come on. The story I felt was a little incoherent at times, but it was a very good game in its own right regardless.
Nine was good too, it had its charms and felt like FF but I didn't like the art style as much because in terms of "realism", it was a step back, and with some of the characters I didn't quite know what I was even looking at. The characters in general were very hit and miss, and none of them really stuck with you. And the story, I couldn't tell you what it was about anymore. Saving the world from some big baddie I guess, like always.

Tactics

Missing 6 and Anthology btw.

Anyway, 7 is my favourite but 9 is the best. All still great mind you.

Hmm, pie.

7 is amazing. So is tactics and 9. I hated 8. 7 gets the vote.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

1.- FF7
2.- FF Tactics
3.- FF9
4.- FF8

First 3 are goated tho.

Man PS1 had the best generation of FF games. FF9 is my all time favorite FF game of all time, but FF7 and 8 are still in my top 5 FF games.

I've only played FF9, but that game was... unreal! I'll withhold my vote until I've finally gotten around to FF7/8, but I doubt it'll top FF9 for me, stellar reputation or not.

Hey @Alex_The_Hedgehog,

Best Final Fantasy game on PlayStation: PC and the PS4 version played on PS5
Interface and features of the game makes it the best.

JuliusHackebeil said:

I voted 9 but my heart breaks to see no votes yet for 8. So here is some love for the ever underappreciated one:

The music is top. The art is top. The draw and junction system is misunderstood and was way ahead of its time. The story is nuts, but in a good way. And I hate handholding, which is non existend in 8. You either get the systems or you are doomed. You either find the ship of the white seeds literally ANYWHERE on the world map, or you just cannot progress. The Laguna-parts are awesome. The sci-fi is inspired. The cutscenes are cool as f*.

Same here.

Although my profile pic is Irvine Kinneas, and I of course loved FF8, I had to go with FF9. Truly magical! But it pains me to see so few votes for FF8.