By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Should comedians have boundaries?

Should comedians have boundaries?

Yes 12 20.34%

No 47 79.66%

Total:59
CourageTCD said:
Chrkeller said:

Yes.  Yes I do.  

*sigh. Ok, then

*sigh.  Cool.  

Around the Network
CourageTCD said:
Chrkeller said:

Yes.  Yes I do.  

*sigh. Ok, then

Jokes may make sensitive snowflakes burn in anger. But you're wanting to normalize and even go farther than that, to institutionalize this sensitivity to words. It would make the United States a pathetic society. We won this from the British when we decided that we wouldn't take it anymore. We didn't whine or cry, we got our guns and took the nation rightfully. But the snowflakes won't win. Most of the people here have disagreed with you, and in my humble opinion, sanity and reason has prevailed. 

Chrkeller said:
TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

No, jokes are harmless imo.

This.  Hurt feelings isn't a serious issue. 

Do you think ideas are harmless? 

Do you think it's harmless if a comedian is making jokes about "how people are idiots for thinking the holocaust happened"?

shavenferret said:
CourageTCD said:

*sigh. Ok, then

Jokes may make sensitive snowflakes burn in anger. But you're wanting to normalize and even go farther than that, to institutionalize this sensitivity to words. It would make the United States a pathetic society. We won this from the British when we decided that we wouldn't take it anymore. We didn't whine or cry, we got our guns and took the nation rightfully. But the snowflakes won't win. Most of the people here have disagreed with you, and in my humble opinion, sanity and reason has prevailed. 

Good for you

No filter no boundaries don’t wanna get ragged on or offended don’t go tired of us catering to the 1 percent less then that who have a mental health issue

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

Do you think it's harmless if a comedian is making jokes about "how people are idiots for thinking the holocaust happened"?

Jimmy Carr has plenty of jokes about the Holocaust.

Jojo Rabbit is filled with anti-Semitic jokes.

A ban on Holocaust humour would be a ban on that comedian and that film. Jimmy Carr was attacked (cancelled, if you will) by a horde of angry righteous crusaders. A comedian who leans dark and satirical and the joke was on a special called “His dark material” which came out in late 2021 - but the cancel-mob didn’t get around to clipping and cancelling him for several months afterwards.

Tell me, what harm did his Holocaust joke do? Or any of his Holocaust jokes do?

Anyway, Jimmy Carr has a response for the next time he gets cancelled:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

All artists should swing for the fences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JASs1dQWiNk

shavenferret said:

Conservatives sure do love their fan fiction. 

Tell us about the one where the imaginary lib got red in the face when someone said Merry Christmas to him! 

Jumpin said:

A ban on Holocaust humour would be a ban on that comedian and that film. Jimmy Carr was attacked (cancelled, if you will) by a horde of angry righteous crusaders. A comedian who leans dark and satirical and the joke was on a special called “His dark material” which came out in late 2021 - but the cancel-mob didn’t get around to clipping and cancelling him for several months afterwards.

You've completely misunderstood what I'm saying. 

Comedians can make jokes about the Holocaust, about gay people, about trans people, about black people, etc. 

I have even posted a bit about black churches in this very thread. The key is, are they actually telling jokes, or are they spreading thinly veiled hate speech. 

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

We laugh at that because we know the comedian is not being serious. We know what the right thing is, so we laugh when a comedian says the wrong thing. No one has ever been radicalized at a comedy club. The holocaust is still one of the worst thing to ever happen in recorded human history. No joke will ever change that fact. If you believe the holocaust never happened, you have thought so long before you heard any comedian joke about it.

the-pi-guy said:
shavenferret said:

Conservatives sure do love their fan fiction. 

Tell us about the one where the imaginary lib got red in the face when someone said Merry Christmas to him! 

Jumpin said:

You've completely misunderstood what I'm saying. 

Comedians can make jokes about the Holocaust, about gay people, about trans people, about black people, etc. 

I have even posted a bit about black churches in this very thread. The key is, are they actually telling jokes, or are they spreading thinly veiled hate speech. 

I'm a swing voter and swing both ways as well, voting for Biden fwiw