By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Should comedians have boundaries?

Should comedians have boundaries?

Yes 14 21.21%

No 52 78.79%

Total:66

I love how there are people who thinks that you can say whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign. I think I'll get one myself, it is such a powerful thing to have

Around the Network
CourageTCD said:

I love how there are people who thinks that you can say whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign. I think I'll get one myself, it is such a powerful thing to have

Your post begs the question: do you simply misunderstand the positions held here on the comedians and jokes - do you think we mean "saying whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign?" Or is this mere dishonesty, and you're straw-manning your opposition because you don't have any good arguments for your position or against what we've actually presented?

Second (and just out of interest): do you think that writing your post sarcastically makes you appear more clever?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
CourageTCD said:

Your post begs the question: do you simply misunderstand the positions held here on the comedians and jokes - do you think we mean "saying whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign?" Or is this mere dishonesty, and you're straw-manning your opposition because you don't have any good arguments for your position or against what we've actually presented?

Second (and just out of interest): do you think that writing your post sarcastically makes you appear more clever?

1) Tell me how I misunderstood things here and how, in short, they can't be summed up like that

2) It cleverly calls more attention to what I said. It clearly worked with you

Jumpin said:

- do you think we mean "saying whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign?"

This sounds like you're in favor of some kind of boundary, Jumpin. 

Jumpin said:

Your post begs the question: do you simply misunderstand the positions held here on the comedians and jokes - do you think we mean "saying whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign?" 

I think this goes both ways. I literally just said a few posts ago. I think people are talking about very different things. 

Based on how you talk about things, I don't even think you're talking about the same lack of boundaries that some people that seem to agree with you, are actually talking about. 

the-pi-guy said:
Jumpin said:

- do you think we mean "saying whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign?"

This sounds like you're in favor of some kind of boundary, Jumpin. 

Jumpin said:

Your post begs the question: do you simply misunderstand the positions held here on the comedians and jokes - do you think we mean "saying whatever you want, even the most atrocuious thing, and get away with it by raising a "joke" sign?" 

I think this goes both ways. I literally just said a few posts ago. I think people are talking about very different things. 

Based on how you talk about things, I don't even think you're talking about the same lack of boundaries that some people that seem to agree with you, are actually talking about. 

I though the same

And yeah. This whole thing might be very subjective and ends up with some people talking about apples while others talk about oranges

Around the Network

Punching down is bad. But I decide what is up and what is down.

Hurting peoples feelings is bad. But I decide when peoples feelings have gotten hurt.

Satire only works against power. But I decide who is powerful enough.

It is funny when group As feelings get hurt. See how angry they are? But it should be illegal if group Bs feelings get hurt. See how much they are victims?

I also decide on punishments. If you are a bully, you are breaking the law and you should be treated like a criminal.

Hate speech is not free speech. And (surprise) I decide what hate is.

JuliusHackebeil said:

Hurting peoples feelings is bad. But I decide when peoples feelings have gotten hurt.

It is funny when group As feelings get hurt. See how angry they are? But it should be illegal if group Bs feelings get hurt. See how much they are victims?

I also decide on punishments. If you are a bully, you are breaking the law and you should be treated like a criminal.

"I love making stuff up that just shows I don't remotely understand an argument."

Last edited by the-pi-guy - 3 days ago

Nope. Anything goes. Don't like it, don't listen. I'm going to see the fantastic David Cross TONIGHT! Hopefully, any topic is on the table tonight!

the-pi-guy said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

"I love making stuff up that just shows I don't remotely understand an argument."

Seems like it fits Runa's argument pretty well ...

The_Yoda said:
the-pi-guy said:

Seems like it fits Runa's argument pretty well ...

what?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android