By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

You really don't need to sacrifice performance to get modern rendering methods on Switch; PBR for example is used in games like Metroid Prime Remastered, Alien Isolation, and FAST RMX which perform very well.

Xbox and PS2 are the same generation, but then Wii and PS3 are the same generation too, despite Wii being in the same graphical ballpark as Xbox and Gamecube. Generations aren't really defined by graphical capability any more.

Those 3 games you mentioned can easily take advantage of Switch's power since they aren't doing much. Like I said to me ps4 look a gen ahead of switch just look at witcher 3 and mortal kombat those look like portsof street fighter alpha on super nes a mess.

Now you're moving the goalposts. You claimed that doing modern effects on Switch results in poor performance. These games and many more prove that claim wrong. You don't get to now make up a new arbitrary rule to exclude them.

While we're on those games, Alien Isolation is on PS3 and PS4 as well, and the Switch version falls closer to the PS4 version.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 May 2024

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Those 3 games you mentioned can easily take advantage of Switch's power since they aren't doing much. Like I said to me ps4 look a gen ahead of switch just look at witcher 3 and mortal kombat those look like portsof street fighter alpha on super nes a mess.

Now you're moving the goalposts. You claimed that doing modern effects on Switch results in poor performance. These games and many more prove that claim wrong. You don't get to now make up a new arbitrary rule to exclude them.

While we're on those games, Alien Isolation is on PS3 and PS4 as well, and the Switch version falls closer to the PS4 version.

Yea one game that falls closer proves switch is closer to ps4 lol

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Yea one game that falls closer proves switch is closer to ps4 lol

Crysis, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Darksiders, Dark Souls, Diablo 3, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands, Burnout Paradise the list goes on and on, almost every game Switch shares with the 7th and 8th gen, it falls closer to 8th gen.

I think the whole generation (7th gen vs 8th) isn't applicable anymore. Gen doesn't determine performance.

The 1080ti launched in 2017, while the 4050 launched in 2023..... the 1080ti has better performance.

I'm probably being redundant but time based generation doesn't mean anything these days.

Edit

The 5000 series is a great example.  They will have new chipsets.  Claiming the 5050 is closer to the 5090 than my 4090 because of chipset is silly.  Despite being older my 4090 will blow the 5050 out of the water and factually is closer in performance to the 5090.

Generations of hardware died a long time ago.  It isn't applicable.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 19 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I think the whole generation (7th gen vs 8th) isn't applicable anymore. Gen doesn't determine performance.

The 1080ti launched in 2017, while the 4050 launched in 2023..... the 1080ti has better performance.

I'm probably being redundant but time based generation doesn't mean anything these days.

It's not really helpful in categorizing the Switch, no, because Switch does not fit neatly into either the PS3/360 or PS4/XBO graphical ballpark.

But then gens have never really been consistent power wise; GBA was in the same gen as the Xbox and Gamecube, DS in the same gen as the PS3, 3DS in the same gen as the PS4, etc.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

It's not really helpful in categorizing the Switch, no, because Switch does not fit neatly into either the PS3/360 or PS4/XBO graphical ballpark.

But then gens have never really been consistent power wise; GBA was in the same gen as the Xbox and Gamecube, DS in the same gen as the PS3, 3DS in the same gen as the PS4, etc.

That is my point.  We can't categorize hardware on anything other than output.  Resolution, settings and fps.  The switch is a 720p 30 fps system...   regardless of how new the chipset is or isn't.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

That is my point.  We can't categorize hardware on anything other than output.  Resolution, settings and fps.  The switch is a 720p 30 fps system...   regardless of how new the chipset is or isn't.  

Generations have never been categorized by resolution, settings, or fps. Even going back to the 80s systems within the same gen have differed in ouput.

Nor is Switch strictly a 720p system; docked play goes up to 1080p.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Generations have never been categorized by resolution, settings, or fps. Even going back to the 80s systems within the same gen have differed in ouput.

Agreed....  but times have changed, thus  categories do too.  

My 4090 will more than likely outperform a 7050.  Zero doubt it will take out a 6050...  5050 will be an absolute slaughter.  

Times has changed.

Performance dictates comparisons.  Not chipsets.  New chipsets do not mean better performance.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

My 4090 will more than likely outperform a 7050.  Zero doubt it will take out a 6050...  5050 will be an absolute slaughter.  

Times has changed.

Performance dictates comparisons.  Not chipsets.  New chipsets do not mean better performance.

So your position is that a GPU from 2015 does not have architectural advantages over a GPU from 2005?

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Times has changed.

So your position is that a GPU from 2015 does not have architectural advantages over a GPU from 2005?

Not enough to off set performance gains.  The 4050 has art advantages over the 3090 and it means literally nothing.  The 3090 is a closer match to the 4090 than the 4050.  

So yeah, 100%.  Frankly that isn't my position, it is a cold hard fact.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED