By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Alternate history: Switch a generation earlier

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

It would actually be pretty hard to tell them apart all things considered.

nVidia didn't really start to get ahead of other GPU manufacturers in the ARM SOC space until Kepler happened which brought forth a myriad of efficiency optimizations to the core architecture on top of a massive increase in functional units.
Maxwell took that and refined it to the 10th degree.

Out of curiosity, with a Tegra 3 would it be viable for a 2011 Switch to get "impossible ports" of PS3/360 titles, similar to how the historical Switch got ports of PS4/XBO titles? I mean, of course it would vary by game, COD was ported to the Wii after all, but just how capable would it be in this regard?

Architecturally the Tegra 3's graphics processor is feature-equivalent to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Full Pixel and Vertex shader support.

It probably closely resembles a Geforce 6800XT from a functional unit perspective and capability standpoint... But with obviously a big hit to fillrate due to the single channel LPDDR3 interface.
..But nVidia did bring forth things like a pixel cache and z-culling which didn't happen on the desktop until Fermi and G80 which alleviates some of that bandwidth deficit.

So all in all, I would say "yes" it would get "impossible ports" of Xbox 360/Playstation 3 titles in the same way that the Switch gets ports of Xbox One/Playstation 4 titles.

And the big reason for that is actually the hardware feature sets... If you don't need to rewrite things like your shader code to shoe-horn it into a fixed function rendering pipeline, then it is easier for developers to make some concessions to get it to run on other platforms relatively easily.

Basically I would expect 360P-480P, 30fps, Xbox 360 titles, but with reduced shadowing and texturing detail... Maybe a few other concessions, but that's the ballpark generally, just like the Vita.

In saying that... I am glad we gamers got the 3DS as that itself was a very unique experience not found elsewhere.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Conina said:
Pemalite said:

Nintendo could have used Tegra 3 in 2011.

All in all, we could expect graphics capabilities around the Original Xbox/Wii level, but with larger data sets thanks to a larger pool of available DRAM.

So.... a PSVita?

With Dock and Joycons, so probably with at least $50 markup on the price for a very similar graphical fidelity.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Out of curiosity, with a Tegra 3 would it be viable for a 2011 Switch to get "impossible ports" of PS3/360 titles, similar to how the historical Switch got ports of PS4/XBO titles? I mean, of course it would vary by game, COD was ported to the Wii after all, but just how capable would it be in this regard?

Architecturally the Tegra 3's graphics processor is feature-equivalent to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Full Pixel and Vertex shader support.

It probably closely resembles a Geforce 6800XT from a functional unit perspective and capability standpoint... But with obviously a big hit to fillrate due to the single channel LPDDR3 interface.
..But nVidia did bring forth things like a pixel cache and z-culling which didn't happen on the desktop until Fermi and G80 which alleviates some of that bandwidth deficit.

So all in all, I would say "yes" it would get "impossible ports" of Xbox 360/Playstation 3 titles in the same way that the Switch gets ports of Xbox One/Playstation 4 titles.

And the big reason for that is actually the hardware feature sets... If you don't need to rewrite things like your shader code to shoe-horn it into a fixed function rendering pipeline, then it is easier for developers to make some concessions to get it to run on other platforms relatively easily.

Basically I would expect 360P-480P, 30fps, Xbox 360 titles, but with reduced shadowing and texturing detail... Maybe a few other concessions, but that's the ballpark generally, just like the Vita.

In saying that... I am glad we gamers got the 3DS as that itself was a very unique experience not found elsewhere.

Do you think developers would have gone with the “impossible port” approach of having downgraded multiplat titles or more similar to Vita where it got exclusive spinoffs like Assassin’s Creed & Call of Duty?

Also, assuming Vita was successful and developers continued to support it, could it have gotten the same type of ports that a Tegra 3 Switch could have gotten?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

A big issue with this would be that Nintendo games wouldn't advance much for over 15 years. Whatever 3D Mario this thing would get wouldn't be that much better looking than Mario Sunshine for example so it would be tough to impress people with such outdated visuals especially after the PS4 and Xbox One come out. It would still sell well due to getting stuff like Pokemon though.

The Switch really came out at the perfect time since due to the failure of the Wii U it was the vast majority of people's first exposure to Nintendo games in HD and was a big leap over the Wii and 3DS.

Honestly I think it would be a bigger success than the Switch.

My instinct says Nintendo would tackled it with the same life style/blue ocean strategy that they used for the DS/Wii. None gaming applications heavy in a abundant, lots of apps, people's go to stop for a netflix box before it became normalised and built into most TVs. Essentially I think it would be an apple lite device, a tablet and all the functionality that comes with that as well as a continuation of the DS/Wii. The appeal of the games wouldn't have the same reach as the Switch, since Switch actually had wow factor/generational leap we saw in BOTW/MK8 etc. Instead we would have been looking at a 720p Wii graphic situation which wouldn't create any wow factor but would easily be a no brainer accessory in most households with all the multimedia functionality that was important & sold devices back in 2011.

Last edited by Otter - on 20 March 2024

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Switch was able to successfully pull off the hybrid concept (...)

No it didnt, because it never tried. Switch is (only) a handheld, not a hybrid.

"Hybrid" is a marketing joke that gets repeated endlessly, to cash in on people who simply dont know better.

Well, I imagine the graphics wouldn't be as good, but if it launched in place of the Wii U and with some of the big Switch games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of The Wild and Mario Kart 8 DX it'd still do good sales numbers, and hopefully was better marketed than the Wii U was.

TeachMeHisty said:
zorg1000 said:

"Hybrid" is a marketing joke that gets repeated endlessly, to cash in on people who simply dont know better.

Ok buddy

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

CaptainExplosion said:

Well, I imagine the graphics wouldn't be as good, but if it launched in place of the Wii U and with some of the big Switch games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of The Wild and Mario Kart 8 DX it'd still do good sales numbers, and hopefully was better marketed than the Wii U was.

But would games like Odyssey or BotW be able to run on this device?

This hypothetical 2011 Switch would essentially be a Wii+ with more modern hardware (just like 2017 Switch is a Wii U+ with more modern hardware).

I don’t think games like Odyssey & BotW could run on Wii+ with downgraded graphics/resolution, they would likely be entirely different games.

TeachMeHisty said:
zorg1000 said:

Unless you're talking about the Switch Lite, you're wrong.

The Switch is called a hybrid for its ability to switch between handheld and home console modes.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.