Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Time to make some practically "accurate" predictions :D

PS5 : 480K
Switch : 245K
Xbox Series : 170K

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Kyuu said:
chakkra said:

That is if we look at buyers as random NPCs that just go into the store and buy whatever is "in the spotlight" at the moment, but that is not how humans work. Most people buying a PS5 today are people upgrading from PS4, and most people buying Xbox Series today are people upgrading from Xbox One; and somehow I'm having a hard time picturing an Xbox One owner thinking "Oh, Helldiver and FF7 are in the spotlight right now, let me go with PS5 this time around" No, but I can totally see an X1 owner thinking "Hmm.. seems like Microsoft is going to port all their games to PS5 eventually, maybe it will be better to get a PS5 and I will be able to play all the games there"

Btw, funny how you think that Microsoft putting their games on PC hurt Xbox's sales so bad, but somehow putting them on Playstation is not going to hurt it.

Me moments ago:

"PC is destroying Xbox and hurting Playstation hardware sales. So much that even if Xbox hypothetically exists console hardware, Playstation could very well still decline."

Why did you skip this? lol.

PC keeps growing and is clearly eating into the console market. Series XS has been trending below Xbox One before any talks about going multiplatform. And Playstation hardware, as I said countless times before, is being affected also. But growth in first party and the weaker direct competition are offsetting the damage.

In short, PC is hurting both consoles, but Xbox is more affected for rather obvious reasons.

That obvious reason being the fact that by putting their games on PC MS is stripping away the need for PC gamers to get an Xbox, but for some reason you think that principle don't apply when we talk about MS putting their games on other platforms.

Look, I guess we're just gonna have to wait to see how big the decline will be in the next few months; if the decline remains around the same percentage as it has been in the last year, then I will concede that this first batch didnt hurt that much, but if the drop is anywhere near as bad as it was in Europe, then you cannot come here with a fresh face and tell me "oh, this was supposed to happen".

chakkra said:
Kyuu said:

Me moments ago:

"PC is destroying Xbox and hurting Playstation hardware sales. So much that even if Xbox hypothetically exists console hardware, Playstation could very well still decline."

PC keeps growing and is clearly eating into the console market. Series XS has been trending below Xbox One before any talks about going multiplatform. And Playstation hardware, as I said countless times before, is being affected also. But growth in first party and the weaker direct competition are offsetting the damage.

In short, PC is hurting both consoles, but Xbox is more affected for rather obvious reasons.

That obvious reason being the fact that by putting their games on PC MS is stripping away the need for PC gamers to get an Xbox, but for some reason you think that principle don't apply when we talk about MS putting their games on other platforms.

Look, I guess we're just gonna have to wait to see how big the decline will be in the next few months; if the decline remains around the same percentage as it has been in the last year, then I will concede that this first batch didnt hurt that much, but if the drop is anywhere near as bad as it was in Europe, then you cannot come here with a fresh face and tell me "oh, this was supposed to happen".

Btw, Target had a promotion this month that apparently did pretty well, so the numbers should not be that bad.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Kyuu said:

Me moments ago:

Countless new and future gamers aren't yet bound to any platform, and will just go with the platform that is hyped up or superior from on objective standpoint, provided they can afford it. And this leaves Xbox in a bad position because PC and Playstation are much better alternatives. But yes, Microsoft supporting PS and Nintendo also feeds into this and will surely contribute to the decline. I just think the major cause of the decline is PC day and date. Late ports to Nintendo and Playstation platforms is a distant second, but it does add up.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 19 March 2024

Welp, the "numbers" are here and hardware spending is down by 30%.

All platforms are down by at least 19% in units. That percentage probably refers to the PS5 I think.

I mean the decrease was bound to happen. Europe didn't experience such a blow but yeeeeaaaah, it was expected.

Edit : The 19% down might refer to Xbox sales afterall 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Welp, the "numbers" are here and hardware spending is down by 30%.

All platforms are down by at least 19% in units. That percentage probably refers to the PS5 I think.

I mean the decrease was bound to happen. Europe didn't experience such a blow but yeeeeaaaah, it was expected.

Edit : The 19% down might refer to Xbox sales afterall 

With what Mat said it is the Xbox Series that is down 19% year-over-year. PS5 and Switch would be down more than that. The tweet from the other user is made up numbers from someone who clearly hates Xbox.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 March 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

OP updated with breakdown article. I hope to have the Americas estimates up in the next few hours. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

That Xbox drop was not as bad as I expected it to be; it seems that Series S promotion did its job.