By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3rd Party Exclusives are hurting the industry

Chrkeller said:

Yeah I listed games missing from steam and said they will hit steam, except bayo....  hmm, I wonder why listed bayo as being different?

And I do wonder why you listed it as a third party game then.

But to be a bit more constructive, I don't see a point in continuing here, because in the end nobody was misled into believing that Bayonetta 2+3 could come to Steam despite it getting called a third party game. This here was just a discussion about using the correct definitions and it was long enough already for both of us. If nothing else, it being long enough is one point we can both fully agree on.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network

Do you know what's bad for the industry? Spending 70 billion to buy a publisher. Buying everyone up but being a Monopoly is the MS way. EA buying studios then shutting them down is bad for the industry. It's the same for Embracer and every big studio. You know what else is bad? Laying off thousands of people while CEO's get millions in pay raises.

But this thread is mad about Bayonetta, Final Fantasy, or whatever being on one console. Big fucking whoop.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Azzanation said:
twintail said:

So, how do you know when in development a deal was made for every game that is exclusive? 

Also, I'm still curious why you think developers accept these exclusivity deals. 

I personally don't, but these companies do. For example: Capcom is making a game, its half way in development, Company A steps in, pays them money to keep it off company B's platform. Capcom accepts because its easy money. Capitalism.

Why do companies accept exclusivity deals? Same answer applies to why people accept bribes. 

In my opinion, majority of companies accept these deals because it's the easy way to cash in. Paying to stay ahead isn't healthy competition. What is healthy competition is companies competing on making as many 1st party games as possible and the best hardware they can make over their competition. Instead, what we have is companies taking short cuts to fill holes and paying for an edge instead of investing into making better products.

Just so I am clear: every time you complain about a Sony third-party deal, you're doing fo because of what exactly? Because if you you don't actually know the specifics behind the deal there shouldn't be any reason for you to keep calling them 'moneyhats'. 

Last edited by twintail - on 16 March 2024

The day of exclusives is coming to an end. I said it years ago~!, all hail the new age where you can play whatever game you like on whatever platform you like as long as it has the specs.

RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah I listed games missing from steam and said they will hit steam, except bayo....  hmm, I wonder why listed bayo as being different?

And I do wonder why you listed it as a third party game then.

But to be a bit more constructive, I don't see a point in continuing here, because in the end nobody was misled into believing that Bayonetta 2+3 could come to Steam despite it getting called a third party game. This here was just a discussion about using the correct definitions and it was long enough already for both of us. If nothing else, it being long enough is one point we can both fully agree on.

Because it was made by a third party and the IP (e.g. cereza) is owned by Sega whom doesn't make hardware anymore.

Happy to move on as well.  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Eh, I think this is as much effort as I want to put into this discussion. If you want to argue that third parties are routinely making deals that hurt them, well, that's a dumb argument, but I will sleep fine even with the knowledge that someone is wrong on the internet.

I am not arguing if it's hurting the devs, I am debating that it's hurting the industry. Industry meaning pushing console manufacturers to be even better and not rely on paying to hurt competition but to use the money invested to create better products and more games. I have given you the plus sides if this became a reality and your entire argument is "Devs won't survive without deals and it's been happening for decades." Even through I proved to you that plenty of games release with no deals in place. 

twintail said:

Just so I am clear: every time you complain about a Sony third-party deal, you're doing fo because of what exactly? Because if you you don't actually know the specifics behind the deal there shouldn't be any reason for you to keep calling them 'moneyhats'. 

What are you talking about? This isn't about just Sony moneyhatting games. 

If you have read my posts, you would see that I am speaking on the industry as a whole, and a hypothetical on the industry being better if exclusive deals didn't exist. This isn't Sony focus.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 17 March 2024

zero129 said:

The day of exclusives is coming to an end. I said it years ago~!, all hail the new age where you can play whatever game you like on whatever platform you like as long as it has the specs.

It's what I've been seeing the industry slowly become as well. Crazy to think people believe this is a bad thing to happen. 

zero129 said:

So years ago you said the "the days of exclusives is coming to an end". And here you are present day saying... "the days of exclusives is coming to an end",

Which means years have gone by without "the days of exclusives coming to an end".

Which is wild since you are saying that after one of the consoles has bought out multiple publishers making the games MORE exclusive by removing them from other consoles.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 17 March 2024

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Chrkeller said:

3rd party is great for the industry. Steam plays most everything which is great. Exclusives are bad for the industry. Who wants to own 4 pieces of hardware instead of 2 (PC+switch)?

"Raises hand" as the owner of a PS5, PS4, PS3, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, OG Switch, Switch OLED , iPhone 13 Pro Max and a gaming PC....

Anyways, I personally would love to see all third party games (like FF7 Remake/Rebirth and the Vanillaware games) going full multiplatform.

I think the ideal industry would be that plus first party games being completely exclusive to their own ecosystem which would encourage platform makers to focus on creating as much first party titles to give a valid reason to people to buy their platform.

But it looks like we're going on a path where 99% of the third party games are multiplatform (more than 1 system) with two of the three first parties releasing their first party IPs on multiplatform.

Closest to what we'll get I guess.