By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Interactive Entertainment to layoff 8% of their workforce, close Sony London Studio

Chrkeller said:

Big budget titles need to be released day 1 on ps, Xbox and PC. Too expensive otherwise.

If they want to be a normal publicly traded business that needs profit to increase exponentially forever it will happen eventually.  Both Sony and Microsoft have record profits but that isn't enough for the stock holders.

Around the Network

As for the specifics of the layoffs :

Insomniac Games, Guerrilla and Naughty Dog are also affected by these.

And despite the recent success of HellDivers II, it doesn't seem like Sony is immediately on board with financing that many GAAS at once. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Signalstar said:

MEDIA MOLECULE SURVIVES!

Sad about London Studio.

That's a significant reduction from Sony PlayStation.

Wonder if this will impact any potential acquisitions (Arrowhead Games)?

I dinged MS for their job cuts so I will metaphorically spit on Sony as well.

*Gives Nintendo a cookie*

MM survives for now, I can still see them closing it this or next year. I doubt this will be the only layoff round this year for either Microsoft or Playstation.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Chrkeller said:

Big budget titles need to be released day 1 on ps, Xbox and PC. Too expensive otherwise.

Not sure if Xbox or PlayStation is absolutely necessary, but you can't skip that constant 130 million monthly active Steam userbase.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Chrkeller said:

Not sure if Xbox or PlayStation is absolutely necessary, but you can't skip that constant 130 million monthly active Steam userbase.

Absolutely.  PC is a legit platform and should get day 1 support.  Helldivers 2 is a massive success.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Qwark said:

Absolutely.  PC is a legit platform and should get day 1 support.  Helldivers 2 is a massive success.

Yeah, it's not like the PC playerbase has to regrow with a new generation lol. You'll always have the entire PC community to appeal to. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 27 February 2024

G2ThaUNiT said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah, it's not like the PC playerbase has to regrow with a new generation lol. You'll always the entire PC community to appeal to. 

Yep.  And when it isn't day 1, speaking for myself, I won't pay full price.  I want Last Part 1 on PC, but won't pay more than $30.  Had it been day 1 I would have paid full price.  

That's all people are for big companies, profit margins, numbers.
And some people think they need to defend every bad decision their favorite one takes because they are their best friend.

Once again: Fuck you, Sony.

What the fucking fuck has happened to this industry? Why is everyone getting laid off? This needs to stop being the norm as it's so frequent now people have either turned a blind eye or given generic "sad hope they find work soon" and then move on and forget. The industry is in real trouble and few want to acknowledge it. If no one feels their job is safe then this is not a sustainable industry.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Another brutal round of layoffs.

Its getting depressing to hear about every other week.