By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Interactive Entertainment to layoff 8% of their workforce, close Sony London Studio

https://sonyinteractive.com/en/news/blog/difficult-news-about-our-workforce/?sf271923331=1

Summary

-900 laid off, or 8% of their total workforce

-All regions effected by the layoffs

-In the UK, where they are required by law to tell people about the layoffs ahead of time, Sony London Studio will be closed entirely, while Firesprite will see layoffs as well

-Affected US employees will be notified today

-In Japan, Sony will begin their next career support program for those affected

Around the Network

Very sad news, hope they find a new role.

This is a pretty telling statement. $200-$300 million budgets for every major release was not as sustainable as some would lead you to believe. 

They seem pretty set on increasing their output on PC as well. Mobile, we still have yet to see what Sony plans on doing. 

It's sad that it comes down to this. 

Unsustainable buisness hits a wall and people at the bottom suffers from the direction this industry is willing to go once again ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

MEDIA MOLECULE SURVIVES!

Sad about London Studio.

That's a significant reduction from Sony PlayStation.

Wonder if this will impact any potential acquisitions (Arrowhead Games)?

I dinged MS for their job cuts so I will metaphorically spit on Sony as well.

*Gives Nintendo a cookie*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

MEDIA MOLECULE SURVIVES!

Sad about London Studio.

That's a significant reduction from Sony PlayStation.

Wonder if this will impact any potential acquisitions (Arrowhead Games)?

I dinged MS for their job cuts so I will metaphorically spit on Sony as well.

*Gives Nintendo a cookie*

For now. The new CEO, the one that audibly does not like PS's profit margins, doesn't take over for another month. 

If he still doesn't like how things look, more layoffs/closures may be on the way.

There's already several unannounced projects cancelled as well. 

Oh dang, London Studio apparently held a farewell party for Jim Ryan just a few days ago. Meanwhile one of his final acts as head of Playstation was to shut down London Studio.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 27 February 2024

Big budget titles need to be released day 1 on ps, Xbox and PC. Too expensive otherwise.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

G2ThaUNiT said:

For now. The new CEO, the one that audibly does not like PS's profit margins, doesn't take over for another month. 

If he still doesn't like how things look, more layoffs/closures may be on the way.

There's already several unannounced projects cancelled as well. 

Totoki already seems somewhat involved with SIE.

shikamaru317 said:

Oh dang, London Studio apparently held a farewell party for Jim Ryan just a few days ago. Meanwhile one of his final acts as head of Playstation was to shut down London Studio.

https://twitter.com/nathan_brown/status/1762466931070619950?s=19

Pretty messed up frankly. 

Reading that statement above, I think Sony launching all first party games day and date on PC is basically inevitable at this point and will probably happen sometime in the next 3-5 years. SIE leadership is clearly looking everywhere for additional revenue streams