By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Rumor) Playstation 6 to be enhanced by generative AI. To feature Ray Reconstruction and Path Tracing

Chrkeller said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But it'll royally fuck over the economy. We need to do something to stop AI from replacing so many jobs, it not only hurts economy but it will also lead to a real life Skynet. -_-

Give up gaming and don't buy the switch 2?  

You're asking me and several other people to give up an essential part of their lives leading to an even worse future. So should we just sit back and wait for the apocalypse, is that what you're saying? Because you might as well be saying that. There's no way humans can coexist with AI in the future.

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:
Chrkeller said:

Lol, for a better part of a year you have been loving on DLSS and frame gen.  Both will make ports easier because instead of people the AI handles the port.....  but now you won't support AI.

The simple explanation is you had zero idea DLSS and frame gen were AI developer tools and now have dug a hole.  

Im gonna jump in here and say that "AI" the tool used in some technology and "AI" the current corporate push and accompanying culture around it arent quite the same. It seems really consistent to me be fine with one and not the other.

I dont hate "AI" because it's going to take over humanity, I hate it because its a buzzword thrown on everything to waste investor money, burn fossil fuels and disrupt jobs and society with little interest on its effects outside making some companies get richer as they chase the new thing due to NFT's and the Metaverse failing. These companies are desperate for a new gold rush and any usefulness that "AI" may have is entirely secondary. If it was completely useless they'd probably be happier.

This, I don't like the idea of a AI taking over programmers/artists/writers/actors jobs but I'm fine with DLSS and FSR.

Last edited by RedKingXIII - on 05 March 2024

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Instead of a team working on ports to weaker hardware, DLSS will use AI to create higher resolution and frame gen will use AI to increase fps....  and pretty much all Switch 2 ports games will use both.  Porting will be easier because it doesn't require the expense of a team of people.  

But it'll royally fuck over the economy. We need to do something to stop AI from replacing so many jobs, it not only hurts economy but it will also lead to a real life Skynet. -_-

If anything, AI will probably boost ecomomy. The issue is finding income (most likely jobs) for the people that lose their jobs to AI, and that's the part I'm worried might get overlooked. One way or another the problem will solve itself at some point though, and I'm hoping for a peaceful solution. The way I see it is that we should embrace AI development while striving to make the significant changes that come with it just - there's almost certainly no stopping the AI train without getting left behind, and if you get left behind, well, that's probably not great for the standard of living in your country. Just gotta find a way to deal with it as a society.

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Give up gaming and don't buy the switch 2?  

You're asking me and several other people to give up an essential part of their lives leading to an even worse future. So should we just sit back and wait for the apocalypse, is that what you're saying? Because you might as well be saying that. There's no way humans can coexist with AI in the future.

I'm saying we shouldn't use a movie as a prediction tool.  

Soundwave said:

Films are just stories, stories are meant quite often as a cautionary and reflective tale for human behavior. Contrary to popular belief they're not just a series of events and CGI explosions, the most impactful films are that because they carry a message for the audience. Film, music, to a lesser extent games are art because it reflects on the human condition and lets us view what it means to be human in different ways. 

I can't believe I am arguing with someone who is proposing that science-fiction/speculative fiction films should be taken seriously. In 2024.

They are not real.

I assume after watching the film "knowing" you are under the belief that there will be a giant solar flare which will glass the entire surface of the planet? It's a movie, so it must be real, right?

Or what about the movie "The happening" which has plants conspiring with each other by releasing a toxin designed to wipe out humanity? Is that also real?

Or what about the movie "The Core" which has a group of people drilling to Earths core (Impossible) to detonate a Nuclear device to get the core spinning again?

If you think these stories are a legitimate "cautionary tale" then I am not sure what to tell you... Except you are wrong.

They are works of speculative fiction. Not real life.

Soundwave said:

Stephen Hawking stated that alien contact would likely not end well for humans, so I'll worry about that when aliens arrive. AI is here and now and developing. 

Just like God, there is absolutely zero evidence for alien life.

Now the laws of mathematics and probability does assume there is a high probability of such due to the vastness of the universe and the number of planetary bodies that would exist.

Hence why Stephen Hawking, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Brian Cox etc' have all said that due to the fact there are approximately 2 trillion galaxies, each with 100's of billions of stars in each said galaxy, many of those stars feature upwards of several dozen planets... There is a statistical probability that life has formed on another planet.

But they also state that, we also don't have evidence to support that idea... So the appropriate response is: "We don't know".

Soundwave said:

Your summation there is the whole damn point, the popularity of movies like The Matrix and Terminator in a sense creates a blind spot for a lot of people because they've been taught their whole life "that's just a movie! that can't possibly happen! They're just trying to make money. Ignore that completely, it can't happen".

Again. I never asserted something "can't happen".

I asserted that these are movies and not real life... And any similar "occurrences" are merely coincidental and not some fore-telling/warning from a random fictional movie.
Take the "Simpsons" for example, that show has made all sorts of predictions/ideas since it's inception, many of which turned out to occur, but it's still a cartoon, it's still only correlation.

If you believe we are all hooked up to a computer in a simulated reality (Yes, some people genuinely believe that) like what was proposed by David Kipping, without evidence... Then I am not sure what to tell you.

Except, that I am in possession of Kangaroo feathers and happy to sell.

Soundwave said:

5 years ago if I said a Spanish Flu like virus would shut down the entire planet, shut down industry, shut down all schools worldwide, shut down travel, shut down major sports leagues, cancel the Olympics, people would be locked inside their homes, there'd be people fighting in grocery store aisles for toilet paper and hand sanitizer, would even 1 single person on this board believe it? I doubt it. They'd say "that sounds like a movie". Now we were lucky COVID was a relatively (I say relatively) mild kind of virus, imagine something like that was more like Ebola and spreading everywhere, it would have devolved into mass chaos. 

The difference between something like the Terminator Skynet scenario and the Disease epidemics like COVID is that... One has actually happened and has happened all through human history.

I.E:
1) Antonine plague. - Year 165.
2) Justinian plague. - Year 541.
3) Bubonic plage/Black Death. - Year 735.
4) Cholera Pandemic. - Year 1846.
5) Coronavirus Pandemic/Influenza. - Year 1889.
6) H1N1 panedemic. - Year 1918.
7) HIV - Year 1981.
8) COVID-19. - Year 2019

There are dozens more Panemics/Plagues/Epidemics that have ravaged populations, but I have made my point.

These "outbreaks" predate movies and media and have happened all through history and will continue to repeat, movies stole the concept to commercialize the issue, not the other way around.

Terminator is not based on any real life event or historical context or fact.
Skynet is not a thing.

Soundwave said:

Even for me when I learned about the Spanish Flu in school, I looked at that and said "well that's just some wacky crap from farmer-era, pre-technology 1920s, why do we have to learn about this, that could never happen again". Wrong. 

That's more or less due to your own intrinsic lack of understanding of history and pandemics/epidemics/plagues in general.

We have had Pandemics after-1920.

1) Russian Typhus Epidemic.
2) H2N2 Pandemic.
3) H3N2 Pandemic.
4) HIV.

I rest my case.

So yes, it does keep happening and will continue to keep happening, history is littered with the evidence.

Skynet? Not so much.

CaptainExplosion said:

Why can't we coexist?

A.I. has been around for decades, video games typically always had A.I. for computer controlled opponents even as far back as the 60's for chess.

Although it wasn't until "Deep Blue" was invented by IBM that A.I. managed to beat a world champion, which started development in 1985.

A.I has likely existed alongside you before you were even born with OCR technologies, speech recognition (Dragon Dictate) and more and you never even knew.

There is no apocalypse, that kind of fear mongering wont' get us far... Just like the Mayan 2012. Year 2000. etc'. Those apocalyptic predictions didn't amount to squat.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
Smear-Gel said:

Im gonna jump in here and say that "AI" the tool used in some technology and "AI" the current corporate push and accompanying culture around it arent quite the same. It seems really consistent to me be fine with one and not the other.

I dont hate "AI" because it's going to take over humanity, I hate it because its a buzzword thrown on everything to waste investor money, burn fossil fuels and disrupt jobs and society with little interest on its effects outside making some companies get richer as they chase the new thing due to NFT's and the Metaverse failing. These companies are desperate for a new gold rush and any usefulness that "AI" may have is entirely secondary. If it was completely useless they'd probably be happier.

This, I don't like the idea of a AI taking over programmers/artists/writers/actors jobs but I'm fine with DLSS and FSR.

Same with me, but I hate AI because of the economic consequences and because it could very likely kill us all.

"I hate AI and won't support it!!"

-switch 2 is based around AI tools

"Well I'm fine with it!"

Pretty standard reaction.  People very quickly accept technology and advancement the second they benefit directly.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 05 March 2024

Chrkeller said:

"Well I'm fine with it!"

Pretty standard reaction.  People very quickly accept technology and advancement the second they benefit directly.  

Where's your proof that Switch 2 is based around AI tools?

And even if I accepted AI advancements doesn't mean I want it to nuke us.

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

"Well I'm fine with it!"

DLSS is AI and it's rumored to be heavily used on the next Nintendo console, since it will probably use a Nvidia SoC that is compatible with the tech. Even if you want to disregard the rumors, on the current Switch there's already games using AMD's FSR, which is also AI.

I'm fine with these tools because they exist to help developers and they're not replacing anyone. Using AI to help people do their jobs is nothing new and indeed is the future.

Last edited by RedKingXIII - on 06 March 2024

RedKingXIII said:
CaptainExplosion said:

DLSS is AI and it's rumore to be heavily used on the next Nintendo console, since it will probably use a Nvidia SoC that is compatible with the tech. Even if you want to disregard the rumors, on the current Switch there's already games using AMD's FSR, which is also AI.

I'm fine with these tools because they exist to help developers and they're not replacing anyone. Using AI to help people do their jobs is nothing new and indeed is the future.

How can we be sure this will be a better future than I and thousands of others think it will be?