By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Rumor) Playstation 6 to be enhanced by generative AI. To feature Ray Reconstruction and Path Tracing

I think the best way to think of current Deep Learning models is that they're more like nervous system organs or brain lobes than fully realized self-entities. 

Think of vision models as really complex eyes that do a lot of processing in the eye itself -- not the brain, but can't do much else, akin to a Mantis Shrimp's eyes. 

Think of language models as sort of Wernicke's area of the brain. Capable of utilizing language, but not actually capable of self-reflection or planning without the rest of the temporal lobe.  

We are probably a decade or two away (at the earliest) from building a sapient entity capable of self-reflection and cognition. Top researchers are only now starting to map out what sort of architecture that might require and the maps are very general with many roadblocks that need to be solved. 

Yann LeCun has a very general idea mapped in a path toward autonomous machine intelligence. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

I think the best way to think of current Deep Learning models is that they're more like nervous system organs or brain lobes than fully realized self-entities. 

Think of vision models as really complex eyes that do a lot of processing in the eye itself -- not the brain, but can't do much else, akin to a Mantis Shrimp's eyes. 

Think of language models as sort of Wernicke's area of the brain. Capable of utilizing language, but not actually capable of self-reflection or planning without the rest of the temporal lobe.  

We are probably a decade or two away (at the earliest) from building a sapient entity capable of self-reflection and cognition. Top researchers are only now starting to map out what sort of architecture that might require and the maps are very general with many roadblocks that need to be solved. 

Yann LeCun has a very general idea mapped in a path toward autonomous machine intelligence. 

A decade is nothing. I have socks that are a decade old, lol. The Nintendo Switch is almost a decade old.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 05 March 2024

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

The movies are actually some what in a way part of the problem ... what's the first thing children are taught when they're frightened by a movie. "That can't happen in real life, it's just a movie". So people chuckle and make jokes and it becomes this thing that can only happen in movies. Even James Cameron (director/writer of Terminator 1/2) has stated this. 

To quote another famous James Cameron film (this quote is actually a quote from real life I believe)

"This ship is unsinkable. God himself could not sink this ship ..." - human fallacy

It is still a slippery slope logical fallacy, which means it's logic that can be discarded.

The terminator movies are purely fiction, not fact. - And are not representative of a modern day A.I. model or even a future one.

If you were to believe all the "possible events" in films, you might as well not be born.

We have films where an asteroid or comet will potentially wipe out all life on Earth.
We have films where the core of the Earth has stopped spinning and will potentially wipe out all life on Earth.
We have films where aliens are invading earth and destroying all civilization.
We have films where people become undead zombies because of a viral or fungal outbreak.

This is all fiction. It's all built on a "hypothesis" aka. Someones imagination. It's not fact. It's not truth. It's not going to happen, it's a movie, plain and simple. - If anything remotely similar happens it's purely coincidental.

Conversely we have films where A.I. saves humanity, which is in stark contrast to the doomsday proposition you have put forth.

Films are not real life, detach from them, it's media designed to make money, that's it.

Films are just stories, stories are meant quite often as a cautionary and reflective tale for human behavior. Contrary to popular belief they're not just a series of events and CGI explosions, the most impactful films are that because they carry a message for the audience. Film, music, to a lesser extent games are art because it reflects on the human condition and lets us view what it means to be human in different ways. 

Stephen Hawking stated that alien contact would likely not end well for humans, so I'll worry about that when aliens arrive. AI is here and now and developing. 

Your summation there is the whole damn point, the popularity of movies like The Matrix and Terminator in a sense creates a blind spot for a lot of people because they've been taught their whole life "that's just a movie! that can't possibly happen! They're just trying to make money. Ignore that completely, it can't happen".

5 years ago if I said a Spanish Flu like virus would shut down the entire planet, shut down industry, shut down all schools worldwide, shut down travel, shut down major sports leagues, cancel the Olympics, people would be locked inside their homes, there'd be people fighting in grocery store aisles for toilet paper and hand sanitizer, would even 1 single person on this board believe it? I doubt it. They'd say "that sounds like a movie". Now we were lucky COVID was a relatively (I say relatively) mild kind of virus, imagine something like that was more like Ebola and spreading everywhere, it would have devolved into mass chaos. 

Even for me when I learned about the Spanish Flu in school, I looked at that and said "well that's just some wacky crap from farmer-era, pre-technology 1920s, why do we have to learn about this, that could never happen again". Wrong. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 05 March 2024

I'm worried hyenas are going to take over the pride land.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Soundwave said:
sc94597 said:

A decade is nothing. I have socks that are a decade old, lol. The Nintendo Switch is almost a decade old.

A decade being contingent on everything going smoothly in research and there is no new AI winter. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

^This!! We can't trust AI with creative fields, let alone our lives. How many times do I have to say The Terminator was a warning? ChatGPT is a stepping stone towards Skynet.

You might as well quit video games then. DLSS is generative AI. 

The fuck is DLSS and what games is it used in?

CaptainExplosion said:
sc94597 said:

Deep-Learning Super Sampling, but has been expanded beyond anti-aliasing and likely will evolve into a real-time asset generation engine by the end of this decade. It already does a little of that by generating synthetic frames and reconstructing/denoising raytracing. Nvidia's white papers are about 2-3 years ahead of new DLSS features, so we have a good idea where things are heading there.

Almost every new third party release since 2019 and probably every (or nearly every) Switch 2 title. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 05 March 2024

CaptainExplosion said:
sc94597 said:

Instead of a team working on ports to weaker hardware, DLSS will use AI to create higher resolution and frame gen will use AI to increase fps....  and pretty much all Switch 2 ports games will use both.  Porting will be easier because it doesn't require the expense of a team of people.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Instead of a team working on ports to weaker hardware, DLSS will use AI to create higher resolution and frame gen will use AI to increase fps....  and pretty much all Switch 2 ports games will use both.  Porting will be easier because it doesn't require the expense of a team of people.  

But it'll royally fuck over the economy. We need to do something to stop AI from replacing so many jobs, it not only hurts economy but it will also lead to a real life Skynet. -_-

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

But it'll royally fuck over the economy. We need to do something to stop AI from replacing so many jobs, it not only hurts economy but it will also lead to a real life Skynet. -_-

Give up gaming and don't buy the switch 2?  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC