By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: Switch at 139.36m shipped

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

2024 is set to be another 10m+ year for hardware sales and 100m+ units in software sales shouldn't be a problem either, so this still sounds like a doom fantasy rather an analysis of the facts at hand. This shows even moreso in your self-contradictory response: "Consistent problem with Nintendo's [home] consoles, but look, Switch also succeeded the 3DS, [the handheld line where Nintendo hasn't had these same problems]."

zorg1000 said:

But Switch in 2024 is much healthier than 3DS in 2016 so that still doesn’t make any sense.

3DS shipments calendar year 2016

hardware-7.36 million, software-56.43 million

Switch shipments calendar year 2024 (estimate)

hardware-10+ million, software-100+ million

I was referring to first party support. It's once again looking like Nintendo has more or less left the building 12+ months before new hardware arrives, just as they did with the N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. 

It would've been better for both Nintendo and their audience if they'd planned this better to avoid such a drought.

Yet so far, we've just heard them talking first half release for the year. There's a good possibility we'll a few announcements for scheduled for the second half.

Now, will those projects interest us or be the bigger projects that some wishes for ? Don't know. 

But assumption of a lack of software for any given year of the Switch life have mostly been premature since Nintendo decided to keep their cards closer to their chest.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

So is it like the N64, GC, Wii and Wii U, or isn't it?

Of course it isn't, and you know it. Hence why you are moving the goalposts.

It does seem to be like those systems, yes; a final year with no tentpole Nintendo releases and only smaller and/or outsourced projects, sort of like what Wii U had in 2016 with Starfox Zero, Twilight Princess HD, and Paper Mario Colour Splash.

Rumors say that Metroid Prime 4, 2 Pokémon games, and a Mario game are to be released in 2024. Take it with a grain of salt but that doesn't sound like a final year w/o a tentpole Nintendo release.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
curl-6 said:

It does seem to be like those systems, yes; a final year with no tentpole Nintendo releases and only smaller and/or outsourced projects, sort of like what Wii U had in 2016 with Starfox Zero, Twilight Princess HD, and Paper Mario Colour Splash.

Rumors say that Metroid Prime 4, 2 Pokémon games, and a Mario game are to be released in 2024. Take it with a grain of salt but that doesn't sound like a final year w/o a tentpole Nintendo release.

If it turns out there's unannounced major titles still to come that's great, it just feels awfully familiar atm to be in the late stage of a Nintendo system and have only smaller first party stuff to keep the lights on. Who knows though, I guess time will tell.

GC 2006
February-Chibi Robo
April-Odama
September-Baten Kaitos
December-Twilight Princess

Wii 2012
Feb-Rhythm Heaven/PokePark 2
March-Mario Party
April-Xenoblade Chronicles
Sept-Kirby Dream Collection

NSW 2024
Jan-Another Code: Recollection
Feb-Mario vs Donkey Kong
March-Princess Peach Showtime
May-Endless Ocean
Summer-Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD
2024-Paper Mario: TTYD

Plus there is a Pokemon Presents next week that could reveal a new Pokemon title for Switch (I doubt mainline but who knows) and the inevitable Nintendo Direct that announces a couple more titles (which could be more small-mid size releases).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

GC 2006
February-Chibi Robo
April-Odama
September-Baten Kaitos

Wii 2012
March-Mario Party

NSW 2024
Feb-Mario vs Donkey Kong
May-Endless Ocean

Plus there is a Pokemon Presents next week that could reveal a new Pokemon title for Switch (I doubt mainline but who knows) and the inevitable Nintendo Direct that announces a couple more titles (which could be more small-mid size releases).

FWIW, 2024 is not bad for an epilogue type of year for the Switch. Sure there’s no Twilight Princess or Xenoblade or any other grand adventure left on Switch, but a plethora of solid remakes/remasters and smaller games allows the Switch to not just drop like a rock as we anticipate the reveal and blowout of the Switch 2.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
zorg1000 said:

GC 2006
February-Chibi Robo
April-Odama
September-Baten Kaitos

Wii 2012
March-Mario Party

NSW 2024
Feb-Mario vs Donkey Kong
May-Endless Ocean

FWIW, 2024 is not bad for an epilogue type of year for the Switch. Sure there’s no Twilight Princess or Xenoblade or any other grand adventure left on Switch, but a plethora of solid remakes/remasters and smaller games allows the Switch to not just drop like a rock as we anticipate the reveal and blowout of the Switch 2.

And I think it’s worth noting that Twilight Princess was cross-gen and actually released earlier on Wii while Xenoblade was a 2 year old localization that people had kick and scream to get in America.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

NSW 2024
Feb-Mario vs Donkey Kong
May-Endless Ocean

Not a bad year just wish it wasn't so Mario focused. Like a Kirby or something would be a nice change bit I guess they really want to Captalize on the Mario Movie while it is still fresh

The world belongs to you-Pan America

SAguy said:
zorg1000 said:

NSW 2024
Feb-Mario vs Donkey Kong
May-Endless Ocean

Not a bad year just wish it wasn't so Mario focused. Like a Kirby or something would be a nice change bit I guess they really want to Captalize on the Mario Movie while it is still fresh

I think it’s also to keep the Mario hype so when they release the 3D Mario flagship release on the successor it’ll sell like hotcakes.

One day the other Nintendo franchises will grow to Mario/Pokémon/Zelda levels. :)

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Also to consider is that the Switch still has MUCH more 3rd party support than Wii and WiiU had, even in its twilight year. For me, yesterday's Partner Showcase was a disappointment but I have to admit that there are still some potential quality titles to come (most are just not my taste) like Fantasy Life i: The Girl Who Steals Time, Endless Ocean Luminous, Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed, Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble (even a Switch exclusive), Monster Hunter Stories, Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance, South Park: Snow Day!, Kingdom Come Deliverance - Royal Edition (a wait an see how good it will effectively run on Switch), Ender Magnolia: Bloom in the Mist, Grounded, The Pentinent, Unicorn Overlord, World of Goo 2, Contra: Operation Galuga (this is a BIG game for me). WOW! these are 14 games, a lot and there's more to come for the 2nd half of the year!
Switch's 2024 lineup looks fine to me so far (it definitely will not rank as one its finest years but that was to be expected).

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 22 February 2024

Yeah the primary difference is the Switch actually has third party support; I was referring specifically to major first party titles in my posts.

There should hopefully be enough games from other devs to make the year passable, it's just a bit of a bummer that we might have to wait a long time for the next big Nintendo title.

But this has wandered off topic; sales wise no replacement this year means Switch should be around 150m by 2025. None of the games announced so far look to be huge sellers, but stuff like Princess Peach or Mario vs DK should still sell a couple million.