By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: Switch at 139.36m shipped

curl-6 said:

I was referring to first party support. It's once again looking like Nintendo has more or less left the building 12+ months before new hardware arrives, just as they did with the N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. 

It would've been better for both Nintendo and their audience if they'd planned this better to avoid such a drought.

That doesn't make any sense either. We're still getting a new Nintendo game almost every month in 2024.

Looks like just another instance of your personal preferences preventing you from making an objective analysis, meaning you don't like Nintendo's recent and upcoming releases, so you call it a drought when there actually isn't a drought.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I was referring to first party support. It's once again looking like Nintendo has more or less left the building 12+ months before new hardware arrives, just as they did with the N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. 

It would've been better for both Nintendo and their audience if they'd planned this better to avoid such a drought.

That doesn't make any sense either. We're still getting a new Nintendo game almost every month in 2024.

Looks like just another instance of your personal preferences preventing you from making an objective analysis, meaning you don't like Nintendo's recent and upcoming releases, so you call it a drought when there actually isn't a drought.

I mean, can we really call stuff like the Another Code/Mario vs DK remakes or Princess Peach major games? They're all smaller projects and it seems none of them are being handled by EPD itself.

So not much "zero first party support" as "low level first party support".

curl-6 said:

I mean, can we really call stuff like the Another Code/Mario vs DK remakes or Princess Peach major games? They're all smaller projects and it seems none of them are being handled by EPD itself.

So is it like the N64, GC, Wii and Wii U, or isn't it?

Of course it isn't, and you know it. Hence why you are moving the goalposts.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

It does seem to be like those systems, yes; a final year with no tentpole Nintendo releases and only smaller and/or outsourced projects, sort of like what Wii U had in 2016 with Starfox Zero, Twilight Princess HD, and Paper Mario Colour Splash.

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

It does seem to be like those systems, yes; a final year with no tentpole Nintendo releases and only smaller and/or outsourced projects, sort of like what Wii U had in 2016 with Starfox Zero, Twilight Princess HD, and Paper Mario Colour Splash.

Except that Switch is getting such a full year lineup in the first quarter alone.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Except that Switch is getting such a full year lineup in the first quarter alone.

It's still those same kind of releases though; remasters and smaller outsourced stuff. 

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

It's still those same kind of releases though; remasters and smaller outsourced stuff. 

So you concede that there are notably more of them for Switch?

Would you rather want the EPD teams make Switch or Switch 2 games at this point in time? Once again, it's obvious what the better option is and you know it.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

So you concede that there are notably more of them for Switch?

Would you rather want the EPD teams make Switch or Switch 2 games at this point in time? Once again, it's obvious what the better option is and you know it.

If Switch 2 was incoming soon it wouldn't be a problem, but with the successor apparently now coming in Q1 2025 at the earliest, it's looking like the familiar long backend of a Nintendo console devoid of major releases.

curl-6 said:

If you notice, those are the later consoles when development times increased, so that makes sense.  You can only expect a company to release its bigger 1st party stuff for so long up to the launch of its new console.  The idea is to have a robust library all around, which Switch seems to be doing fairly well all things considered. 

But here's something intersting:  After Super Mario Bros 3 arrived on the NES, you had to wait a year and a half to two years (depending on region) before the release of the SNES.  With Switch, it should be even less time between Super Mario Bros Wonder and Switch 2, showing just as much duration regarding 1st party devotion.  That's pretty good for today when development times are much longer.

Plus, we really should wait for the next big Direct (rumored to be April now).  Could be Nintendo has some already finished stuff we don't know about.

curl-6 said:

If Switch 2 was incoming soon it wouldn't be a problem, but with the successor apparently now coming in Q1 2025 at the earliest, it's looking like the familiar long backend of a Nintendo console devoid of major releases.

Looks a lot more similar to the 3DS than the N64, GC, Wii or Wii U.