By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest leap forward from a system to its successor

New generations of hardware can allow for new experiences beyond anything possible on the system being replaced; whether in terms of graphics, gameplay, functionality, audio, etc.

Which leap from a specific system to its successor do you think was the most impressive, and why?

Around the Network

SNES to N64. While the N64's lack of RPGs frustrated me, Super Mario 64 and OOT/MM were very impressive. Every generation subsequent to that seemed to become more iterative than revolutionary, though they all had their gems.

SNES to N64
Saturn to Dreamcast
Genesis to Saturn

2D to 3D is the biggest leap ever. DC wasn't just powerful at launch. But features ahead of it's time.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SNES to N64,

NES to SNES.
SNES to N64.
PS1 to PS2.

Around the Network

FM Towns Marty to FM Towns Marty 2

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

2D to 3D is the obvious pick here.

But going by games, which is the more interesting topic IMO, Super Metroid, Witcher 3 come to mind.

PS1 to PS2
Saturn to Dreamcast

2D to 3D was the biggest leap IMO and Nintendo did it best, so SNES to N64 for me. We are now at a point where the leaps are smaller every generation. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

SNES to N64 for sure.