By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

haxxiy said:
curl-6 said:

snip

I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of nonsense. Let me help you with what bullying, threats, coercion, and exclusion really look like:

Plus you have news outlets and social media that are completely dominated by right-wing discourse. One of the right's greatest triumphs, by the way, has been to make people believe media has a liberal bias despite being owned and sponsored by the ultra-rich whole.

I'd refer you to Nwanevu's essay in New Republic which completely refutes this talking point.

Biden has a chance of losing because 2022's inflation was 10% instead of 2% and he looks like a grandpa way past his bedtime, not because of widespread panic over some sinister 'woke' agenda.

Granted, the 'left' has problems, but that's mostly because in most countries it's just a form of tame social liberalism (see: Chile, Germany) instead of actual left-wing politics as a consequence of the fall of the eastern block and decades of brainwashing by neoliberal economics - which began not with Reagan and Thatcher in the 80s, mind, but one that was being cooked since the 50s by the right-wing.

"But the other side does bad stuff too" doesn't make it okay.

In this very thread we had someone call for conservatives to be murdered. If that is acceptable to you just cos "the right does bad stuff too" then you're part of the problem.

Around the Network

Yeah, nothing is going to change.  GO TEAM!

curl-6 said:

In this very thread we had someone call for conservatives to be murdered. If that is acceptable to you just cos "the right does bad stuff too" then you're part of the problem.

What is next step here, curl? Are you going to pretend that a playground bully is equally as bad as Hilter was?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

curl-6 said:

See this is why I no longer consider myself a leftist; over the past decade or so the left have become so nasty, so intolerant, so totalitarian, that calling for the murder of those who disagree with them is the norm now.

Bullying, coercion, threats, exclusion, its all par for the course for the modern left. Anyone who doesn't submit to their opinions is relentless attacked and abused, and it's disgusting.

I don't like Trump, but the fact much of America is seriously leaning towards an obvious conman who tried to overthrow democracy rather than the left speaks volumes about how utterly toxic the left has become.

If they're serious about defeating the alt right, leftists need to wake up and deal with the extremists within their own ranks who have hijacked their movement.

Just curious, as you feel stating your opinions on felt leaning places makes you being relentless attacked, and the fact that *in my opinion* the internet is the public square today, where would you go online to have meaningful conversations about politics, as a left leaning person? Do the left has more centre places where people can speak their mind and criticisms of the left, or you have to refrain to conversations with friends and etc?

curl-6 said:

See this is why I no longer consider myself a leftist; over the past decade or so the left have become so nasty, so intolerant, so totalitarian, that calling for the murder of those who disagree with them is the norm now.

Bullying, coercion, threats, exclusion, its all par for the course for the modern left. Anyone who doesn't submit to their opinions is relentless attacked and abused, and it's disgusting.

I don't like Trump, but the fact much of America is seriously leaning towards an obvious conman who tried to overthrow democracy rather than the left speaks volumes about how utterly toxic the left has become.

If they're serious about defeating the alt right, leftists need to wake up and deal with the extremists within their own ranks who have hijacked their movement.

It's not nearly as one-sided as you are making it out to be. I'm not talking about vgchartz per say, but social media in general. Of course what Leynos said what idiotic. I think we can agree. Leynos has always said shit without filter regardless of the topic and needs to grow up. 

Just to reinforce my point, I see people on the right say terrible stuff. This entire month of June is filled with nasty anti-LBGTQ+ post or if you talk about abortion to the wrong person they will condemn you to hell. I see people on the right calling the left Nazis as well. 

My point is, both sides do it. It also comes down to the type of  people you engage with. What you see and hear online isn't going to be the same for everyone. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - 2 days ago

Around the Network
pokoko said:
curl-6 said:

And as far as a threat to Democracy, the Left taking over both the media and higher education while having zero reservations about using their new-found wealth and power to spread propaganda and control the flow of information is far more dangerous than anything Trump could do on his best day.  

What has the left done in this position that compares to trying to overturn an election you lost as far as "threat to Democracy" goes?

Jimbo1337 said:
curl-6 said:

I think the best thing to do is to call out, bring to light, and continuously shame those who crossed into extreme or violent rhetoric and behavior. Extremism has no place in this world and with a click of a button, should be eradicated from this website. I have personally witnessed, replied back, and reported a user on this website, Machiavellian, who said the most despicable thing I have ever read in my life. You can read it here: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9336356

At the time, Ryuu96 decided not to ban Machiavellian and instead said the following: "Almost certain that this is a simple misunderstanding. Machia is being sarcastic and using an extreme example to call out the ridiculousness of the current situation(s) but he is not seriously saying he is about to go outside and start shooting people up."

When Machiavellian made this post back in 2021, he was a regular user. Now he is a MODERATOR. Aren't you glad this type of person is moderating you?

To the mods: I'm so glad I am shoving this back in your face. Your move.

To everyone else: Don't let this information fall back in the shadows. I will let you decide if you want to collectively report this incident. I have already tried years ago, but there is always power in numbers.

Machi was making fun of the Kyle Rittenhouse case. 

His comment was exactly what happened. Kyle drove several hours with a gun, people panicked when they saw a guy with a gun, and he shot and murdered multiple people. 

Conservatives felt that he was in the right, as he was "defending" himself, despite the fact that he put himself into that situation. 

Despite the fact these other people also felt they were defending themselves. 

Most self defense laws wouldn't have sided with Kyle, Wisconsin's does.  

Many Republicans celebrated him. 

If you felt that Machi's comment was despicable, then you should feel that way about many Republicans. 

If Machi's comment was the most despicable thing you've ever read, then you need to pay a lot more attention to politics. I read far worse things from my Republicans family members on a weekly basis. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - 2 days ago

curl-6 said:
haxxiy said:

I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of nonsense. Let me help you with what bullying, threats, coercion, and exclusion really look like:

Plus you have news outlets and social media that are completely dominated by right-wing discourse. One of the right's greatest triumphs, by the way, has been to make people believe media has a liberal bias despite being owned and sponsored by the ultra-rich whole.

I'd refer you to Nwanevu's essay in New Republic which completely refutes this talking point.

Biden has a chance of losing because 2022's inflation was 10% instead of 2% and he looks like a grandpa way past his bedtime, not because of widespread panic over some sinister 'woke' agenda.

Granted, the 'left' has problems, but that's mostly because in most countries it's just a form of tame social liberalism (see: Chile, Germany) instead of actual left-wing politics as a consequence of the fall of the eastern block and decades of brainwashing by neoliberal economics - which began not with Reagan and Thatcher in the 80s, mind, but one that was being cooked since the 50s by the right-wing.

It’s not “the other side does bad stuff too”’ it’s “the left says mean things online while the right actually carries out violent and hateful acts”.

What the user said about killing Republicans is disgusting and unacceptable but the two sides are not the same in terms of the actual actions they take.

Also, “left wing extremists” do not make up a notable chunk of politicians at the federal, state or local level unlike “right wing extremists” who have been doing everything in their power to strip away rights and support the man who tried to overturn an election.

Right Wing extremists-unwavering support for the criminal justice system that disproportionately beats, imprisons & kills racial minorities. Disenfranchise minorities with racial gerrymandering and cutting back voting rights. Ban & criminalize people who receive or perform reproductive healthcare & block protections for contraceptives. Ban transgender healthcare, criminalize parents who support their trans children, ban drag queens & label them groomers and ban books about LGBT topics. Attempt to reverse no fault divorce. Cut back child labor laws. Refuse to raise the minimum wage. Make it harder to join a union. Cut back gun safety laws. Treat all asylum seekers & immigrants like they are murderers, rapists & human traffickers. Support banning Muslims from entering the country & forcing schools to display & teach Christian values. Criminalize the homeless. Cut taxes/regulations for the rich/corporations & reduce spending on things like healthcare, education, infrastructure & safety net programs. Ignore science and do nothing to reduce the impact of the pandemic & climate change. Spread lies about voter fraud and support overturning elections if they don’t go their way.

Left wing extremists-support protecting rights for workers, women & minorities (racial, religious, immigrant, LGBT, etc). Raise taxes/regulations on the rich/corporations to fund increased spending on healthcare, education, infrastructure, housing, public safety, scientific research, the environment, safety net programs. Will say mean things to/about bigots online.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

It’s not “the other side does bad stuff too”’ it’s “the left says mean things online while the right actually carries out violent and hateful acts”.

What the user said about killing Republicans is disgusting and unacceptable but the two sides are not the same in terms of the actual actions they take.

Also, “left wing extremists” do not make up a notable chunk of politicians at the federal, state or local level unlike “right wing extremists” who have been doing everything in their power to strip away rights and support the man who tried to overturn an election.

Right Wing extremists-unwavering support for the criminal justice system that disproportionately beats, imprisons & kills racial minorities. Disenfranchise minorities with racial gerrymandering and cutting back voting rights. Ban & criminalize people who receive or perform reproductive healthcare & block protections for contraceptives. Ban transgender healthcare, criminalize parents who support their trans children, ban drag queens & label them groomers and ban books about LGBT topics. Attempt to reverse no fault divorce. Cut back child labor laws. Refuse to raise the minimum wage. Make it harder to join a union. Cut back gun safety laws. Treat all asylum seekers & immigrants like they are murderers, rapists & human traffickers. Support banning Muslims from entering the country & forcing schools to display & teach Christian values. Criminalize the homeless. Cut taxes/regulations for the rich/corporations & reduce spending on things like healthcare, education, infrastructure & safety net programs. Ignore science and do nothing to reduce the impact of the pandemic & climate change. Spread lies about voter fraud and support overturning elections if they don’t go their way.

Left wing extremists-support protecting rights for workers, women & minorities (racial, religious, immigrant, LGBT, etc). Raise taxes/regulations on the rich/corporations to fund increased spending on healthcare, education, infrastructure, housing, public safety, scientific research, the environment, safety net programs. Will say mean things to/about bigots online.

Yup, in general American politics fall so far on the right side of the political spectrum that the most extreme left positions of elected officials typically resemble the most plain left positions in European countries.

On that note, since European countries have a much more varied political landscape with at least several relevant parties everywhere, it's easy to see that right extremism poses a bigger threat to society. Far-right parties have it pretty easy to get a double digit percentage share of the votes in elections while far-left parties rarely get a sniff at the 10% mark. The far-left nutjobs on the internet may have loud voices, but the left-leaning side of the population is overwhelmingly not interested in the bullshit they spew.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not defending or endorsing the right. I'm not a right winger myself, I fall more on the centre left on most issues.

But terrorising people for disagreeing with you, calling for violence and murder against those you disagree with, systematically dehumanising, harassing and excluding those who don't conform to your beliefs, this is abhorrent behaviour, and it doesn't even actually help your cause because it drives those in the middle into the arms of the alt right.