By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

LudicrousSpeed said:

Two slimeballs who are as sleazy as politicians come and they’re also old as fuck and both showing signs of mental deficiency. Hooray for America.

By the way, under the crime section, for Trump you need to add that he is going to try to make it so presidents have immunity while in office, so that all of his crimes are forgiven.

There is absolutely legitimate things to criticize Biden about but it’s completely dishonest to depict him and Trump as nearly the same.

Trump’s biggest “accomplishments” were a tax cut where most of the benefits went to the wealthy & appointing Supreme Court Justices that led to the overturning of Roe v Wade. He downplayed the seriousness of Covid at every opportunity, hurt relations with just about the entire world (pulled us out of Trans Pacific Partnership, Paris Agreement, Iran Nuclear deal, UNESCO/UHHRC/WHO, etc.), tried to “repeal and replace” the ACA and to this day has not detailed what he will replace it with, cozied up to dictators (Putin, Kim Jong Un, Bolsonaro), promoted various xenophobia (anti-CRT/BLM, anti-immigration, anti-abortion, Muslim travel ban, anti-trans, etc.). Hyped up things Space Force & USMCA as massive changes when they were more of updates (like releasing a software update or DLC for a game and calling it a sequel). And that’s not even including all of his personal controversies and legal issues.

Under Biden we have had the American Rescue Plan which included funding for the vaccine rollout and opening the economy back up safely. Infrastructure Investment & Jobs Act which is the largest investment in our infrastructure since the 1950’s. Safer Communities Act, first federal gun safety law in 30 years, also includes funding for mental health. CHIPs & Science Act, subsidies for semiconductor manufacturing plants to be built in US. PACT Act, expands health coverage for veterans exposed to pure pits and other harm. Inflation Reduction Act, financial incentives for people to go green such as tax credits for electric vehicles, solar panels, home weatherization improvements, also includes improvements to healthcare like increased ACA subsidies and out of pocket cap on drugs for Medicare recipients. Forgiven student debt for over 3.7 million people (broader forgiveness was struck down by Supreme Court). Stood up for unions and helped rail workers and auto workers get better deals. Stood up to Russia and assist Ukraine in protecting their right to sovereignty while also strengthening NATO. Currently negotiating a bill that would increase the Child Tax Credit for low & middle income families along with a bill that would help fix issues along the border. Maintained an unemployment rate under 4% for 2 years, the longest since the 1960s.

There are definitely legitimate reasons to criticize Biden but painting him as sleazy, slime ball with mental issues is just dumb.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Tober said:
sundin13 said:

So, you are willing to trade women's rights for the theoretical prospect of future change which may somehow come if you don't vote? Because that is basically what the "they are both bad so I'm not voting" argument amounts to: The negative consequences of a MAGA government are a price you are willing to pay in order for the assumed increased chance of future positive change. 

In regards to some of your other points:
-Biden passed the largest green energy bill in this country's history
-I agree that Biden has a lackluster foreign policy track record but leaving Afghanistan is not nothing, and I support continued investment in Ukraine. There is little evidence that Trump would be an improvement in this category.
-What exactly would you like to see Biden do in regards to state-level legislation on abortion, beyond what he has done (which, again, there have been actions taken in regards to the necessity for hospitals to provide life saving abortions, actions which have expanded access to medication abortion, expanded access to abortion travel for federal employees and the appointment of pro-Roe supreme court justices, which is not nothing)

Finally, what would be different under a MAGA government:
-Healthcare
-Taxation
-LGBTQ rights
-Women's rights
-Immigration
-The continued existence of our democracy

How much are you looking for?

-Women's rights

Nothing wrong with supporting women's rights, but I also support the rights of unborn babies.

If a women is assaulted that's horrible. If a pregnant women is assaulted it's even more horrible. Everyone gets that, because deep down we understand that not just one individual is assaulted, but two. Any judge would judge harder on the person assaulting a pregnant women for this very reason.

I am in favor that in some situations an abortion should be allowed, but I am not comfortable in the wording as 'women's rights'. This wording would imply that in any situation abortion should be allowed, dismissing any rights of the unborn baby entirely.

I'm not getting into an abortion debate here, but no matter your opinion on the matter, there is a clear difference in policy here between a MAGA government and a Democrat government. 

sundin13 said:
firebush03 said:

firstly: “I’ve always hated the ‘both sides are bad’ argument, because elections have very real consequences.” Who’s to say you can’t despise both sides without casting your ballot? Yes, the abortion point is a great example as to why people *who care about the rights of women to have access to abortion* should go out and vote…however, my entire vote isn’t based on a single issue. That is, I will refuse to show my support to the Democratic Party until they nominate a candidate who promises change: The consequence of submitting to the elite and voting for whoever puppet they set up is status quo. I am not satisfied with status quo, as all it leads to is opposition parties who stand fundamentally against what I believe in emerging, taking power, and knocking us back even further. Biden has only be problems when it comes to addressing carbon emissions, despite standing on a platform of supporting otherwise: He therefore becomes a bad representation for my case in ideal governing, for he fails to enforce what he promises. Biden has only been problems when it comes to addressing forever wars: He blindly submit to *anything* the governmental bodies surrounding military request (he’s too old for this, he does not care even slightly about what’s going on around the world). Biden had done next to nothing to enforce legislation which would overturn state-level legislation on abortion: The Supreme Court is not a binding body, and the power of the executive far exceeds that of which the Judicial holds (case-and-point: Trail of Tears).

secondly: “MAGA government is fundamentally different from a Democratic government.” Care to elaborate? What policies would be changed beside social issues? I care for our oppressed, but that’s not everything.

So, you are willing to trade women's rights for the theoretical prospect of future change which may somehow come if you don't vote? Because that is basically what the "they are both bad so I'm not voting" argument amounts to: The negative consequences of a MAGA government are a price you are willing to pay in order for the assumed increased chance of future positive change. 

-I agree that Biden has a lackluster foreign policy track record but leaving Afghanistan is not nothing, and I support continued investment in Ukraine. There is little evidence that Trump would be an improvement in this category.
-What exactly would you like to see Biden do in regards to state-level legislation on abortion, beyond what he has done (which, again, there have been actions taken in regards to the necessity for hospitals to provide life saving abortions, actions which have expanded access to medication abortion, expanded access to abortion travel for federal employees and the appointment of pro-Roe supreme court justices, which is not nothing)

-Healthcare
-Taxation
-LGBTQ rights
-Women's rights
-Immigration

I’m sorry, I don’t want to waste my time debating political matters. (at least not publicly. If there is like a DM system in here, then sure. But not on a public forum.)

In short, you really don’t make any points of substance, rather you serve as a “useful tool” for the DNC and their “brownie points”. I’m looking for *real* change, not some politicians who only commits to symbolic gestures.

(i) Yes, Biden may have passed some green energy bill (which itself was gutted by Manchin in the Senate)…but he also ramped up oil drilling and such to an unprecedented degree. One incremental bill over four years? Lmao no thanks, I’m not pleased at all.

(ii)…the withdrawal from Afghanistan? Brother, the sanctions they have placed on Afghanistan have literally led to a humanitarian crisis. Additionally, the departure plan was agreed upon under Trump: he knew it would’ve been a disaster for PR had he dealt with the black back from Afghanistan, so he delayed it to post-2020 election. Biden’s hands were ultimately tied, and yet he still made a horrible out of a good.

(iii) i have no idea, I’m kinda talking out my back at that point lol. I have heard that Biden’s hands weren’t tied, though I’m not looking to die on this hill, I honestly don't care enough.

As for what would be different under Trump? Taxation is the same between Biden and Trump, healthcare is the same between Biden and Trump, LGBTQ rights have not changed under Biden and barely worsen under Trump, Women’s rights weren’t improved because of Biden because he literally did nothing to address the Roe situation, immigration…(?)I don’t know what there is to say was good or bad lmao, LMAO the continued existence of democracy?? brother, Trump can’t do anything. not only that,…you actually believe we live in a democracy?? There is no democracy: the RNC and DNC stoke division amongst the people, everyone chooses a side on these issues, and that’s our democracy. Are you Team America or Team Woke? Are you looking to fight for Democracy at home and abroad, or do you want the dictator Trump to ruin everything? Give me a break lmao, I’m done.

firebush03 said:
sundin13 said:

-Healthcare
-Taxation
-LGBTQ rights
-Women's rights
-Immigration

I’m sorry, I don’t want to waste my time debating political matters. (at least not publicly. If there is like a DM system in here, then sure. But not on a public forum.)

In short, you really don’t make any points of substance, rather you serve as a “useful tool” for the DNC and their “brownie points”. I’m looking for *real* change, not some politicians who only commits to symbolic gestures.

(i) Yes, Biden may have passed some green energy bill (which itself was gutted by Manchin in the Senate)…but he also ramped up oil drilling and such to an unprecedented degree. One incremental bill over four years? Lmao no thanks, I’m not pleased at all.

(ii)…the withdrawal from Afghanistan? Brother, the sanctions they have placed on Afghanistan have literally led to a humanitarian crisis. Additionally, the departure plan was agreed upon under Trump: he knew it would’ve been a disaster for PR had he dealt with the black back from Afghanistan, so he delayed it to post-2020 election. Biden’s hands were ultimately tied, and yet he still made a horrible out of a good.

(iii) i have no idea, I’m kinda talking out my back at that point lol. I have heard that Biden’s hands weren’t tied, though I’m not looking to die on this hill, I honestly don't care enough.

As for what would be different under Trump? Taxation is the same between Biden and Trump, healthcare is the same between Biden and Trump, LGBTQ rights have not changed under Biden and barely worsen under Trump, Women’s rights weren’t improved because of Biden because he literally did nothing to address the Roe situation, immigration…(?)I don’t know what there is to say was good or bad lmao, LMAO the continued existence of democracy?? brother, Trump can’t do anything. not only that,…you actually believe we live in a democracy?? There is no democracy: the RNC and DNC stoke division amongst the people, everyone chooses a side on these issues, and that’s our democracy. Are you Team America or Team Woke? Are you looking to fight for Democracy at home and abroad, or do you want the dictator Trump to ruin everything? Give me a break lmao, I’m done.

I personally am of the mind that slow movement in the right direction is preferable to quick movement in the wrong direction. Do I wish more could be done? Of course, but I'm not going to trade that slow progress for the hope that something better will come out of the rubble. Like, I'm personally in a pretty good position. None of the worst consequences of a MAGA government will hit me. So, I feel it would be morally reprehensible for me to trade someone else's life or well-being for the empty, self-congratulatory hope that doing nothing will bring radical change. 

Like, if you want radical change, you gotta vote for radical change. In 2020, people did not vote for radical change. They voted for a generic, moderate old-guy and gave him a 50/50 senate, so your Democratic governance all had to run through the most right leaning Democrat in government. Given that, I think most reasonable people saw Biden's Administration coming out further to the left than they expected. 

i) Biden's control over oil drilling is fairly minimum, but even still, I personally feel like it doesn't make much sense to bring the green revolution by destroying oil. The decline of oil should be a consequence of green energy investment. That investment takes time, but Biden has passed an incredibly significant bill supporting that investment. 

There is also a question of whether reducing American oil supplies even really does anything. OPEC controls prices by controlling oil availability. If US oil declines, they increase production to make up for it. Unless there is a significant change in demand (which can only come through investment in green energy), fighting against american oil doesn't really get you far. 

ii) So, what would you have had Biden do in Afghanistan? Give money to the Taliban? Stay in the war? He was left with no good options, but he chose the one which ended the damn war. Isn't that what you were asking for? 

iii) Good of you to admit it.

iv) Taxation: It is absolutely nonsense to assert that there is no difference in the tax structure of a democratic government and a MAGA government. Pretty much as a rule, MAGA aims to cut taxes on businesses and the rich and pay for it by cutting welfare. Democratic government aims for the exact opposite. What is able to be passed is limited given the structure of Congress and whether people are actually voting, but even in that environment, Biden was able to pass a temporary expansion of the Child Tax Credit which was extremely impactful at reducing child poverty and talks are in the works to extend a version of that very same credit, even without full control of congress. Further, if you think a modern Dem government would have passed Trump's tax cuts for the rich, you are out of your damn mind. 

v) The attacks on LGBTQ rights have been coming pretty much exclusively from the MAGA right. Of course, there is a difference between Democrat policy and MAGA policy. Control over the issue at a local level is significant, but no matter, voting is incredibly important. 

vI) Women's rights: I listed several things that Biden did in regards to this in my last post and you admitted that you were talking out your ass, bud. 

vii) Democracy: Who voted for Trump and Biden to represent the parties? The people. You can't say "We don't live in a democracy" only to point to the representatives that were voted for by the people...

At the end of the day, I vote for the person who best represents my views in the primary, then I do the same in the general, because that is what I can do. Sitting back and saying "Nah, I'm gonna sit this on out" on the hope that somehow things will get better through inaction is insanity. We can debate whether Biden is good all day, but I want to hear you justify how you think doing nothing will make things better...

Tober said:

When Trump was in office no new wars the US got involved in. Took money away from ISIS to let them fold. With Biden it's the same wars everywhere again, designed to be perpetual, to keep the weapons industry going. For world peace I think Trump is better.

Trump is part responsible for the current instability in the Middle East and the invasion of Ukraine.

His moving the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and his lopsided peace plan reversed years of Israel and Palestinians getting closer to peace, emboldened the Settlers to increase their attacks and further land grabs and encouraged further ethic cleansing.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/24/ukraine-trump-impeachment-00011406

Trump was acquitted in February 2020 after the House impeached him, alleging he held hostage hundreds of millions of dollars in security aid in order to pressure Ukraine to investigate his political rivals, including his eventual successor, Joe Biden. The aid was eventually provided, but not before a crisis that rattled two continents and desperate pleas by Zelenskyy’s government for help fending off the very Russian aggression that now threatens to topple him from power in Ukraine.

Then-President Trump’s treatment of Ukraine alarmed some of his own top advisers at the time, particularly when coupled with his relatively warm praise of Putin — which continues today. At the time, Zelenskyy had desperately sought and asked Trump for a White House meeting, an effort to bolster his mandate to confront Russia. The meeting never came.

Trump partly caused the two biggest conflicts we're dealing with now... Trump is a danger to world peace.

Around the Network
Tober said:

If you quote me, please quote the whole thing for context sake.

I trimmed your quote for specificity's sake.

Tober said:

When did Trump let dictators steamroll sovereign nations? The Russians took Crimea under Obama and invaded Ukraine under Biden.

Trump has repeatedly bent over backwards to appease Putin. Russia didn't feel the need to invade anyone while there was a POTUS who would further their own interests for them. As soon as that stopped they went back to using force. If Trump were president right now though, he would let Russia march into Kyiv unopposed. Hardly my idea of world peace.

Tober said:

What did Trump do to the Kurds?

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-syria-ap-top-news-international-news-politics-ac3115b4eb564288a03a5b8be868d2e5#:~:text=WASHINGTON%20(AP)%20%E2%80%94%20President%20Donald,ally%20and%20undermining%20American%20credibility.

firebush03 said:

healthcare is the same between Biden and Trump

Not for a lack of trying though.
The GOP wanted to strip away a huge portion of that healthcare (flawed as it is), without any concrete plan of how it would supposedly be replaced. They just failed to pass it by I believe 1 vote.

sundin13 said:
firebush03 said:

I personally am of the mind that slow movement in the right direction is preferable to quick movement in the wrong direction. Do I wish more could be done? Of course, but I'm not going to trade that slow progress for the hope that something better will come out of the rubble. Like, I'm personally in a pretty good position. None of the worst consequences of a MAGA government will hit me. So, I feel it would be morally reprehensible for me to trade someone else's life or well-being for the empty, self-congratulatory hope that doing nothing will bring radical change. 

Like, if you want radical change, you gotta vote for radical change. In 2020, people did not vote for radical change. They voted for a generic, moderate old-guy and gave him a 50/50 senate, so your Democratic governance all had to run through the most right leaning Democrat in government. Given that, I think most reasonable people saw Biden's Administration coming out further to the left than they expected. 

i) Biden's control over oil drilling is fairly minimum, but even still, I personally feel like it doesn't make much sense to bring the green revolution by destroying oil. The decline of oil should be a consequence of green energy investment. That investment takes time, but Biden has passed an incredibly significant bill supporting that investment. 

There is also a question of whether reducing American oil supplies even really does anything. OPEC controls prices by controlling oil availability. If US oil declines, they increase production to make up for it. Unless there is a significant change in demand (which can only come through investment in green energy), fighting against american oil doesn't really get you far. 

ii) So, what would you have had Biden do in Afghanistan? Give money to the Taliban? Stay in the war? He was left with no good options, but he chose the one which ended the damn war. Isn't that what you were asking for? 

iii) Good of you to admit it.

iv) Taxation: It is absolutely nonsense to assert that there is no difference in the tax structure of a democratic government and a MAGA government. Pretty much as a rule, MAGA aims to cut taxes on businesses and the rich and pay for it by cutting welfare. Democratic government aims for the exact opposite. What is able to be passed is limited given the structure of Congress and whether people are actually voting, but even in that environment, Biden was able to pass a temporary expansion of the Child Tax Credit which was extremely impactful at reducing child poverty and talks are in the works to extend a version of that very same credit, even without full control of congress. Further, if you think a modern Dem government would have passed Trump's tax cuts for the rich, you are out of your damn mind. 

v) The attacks on LGBTQ rights have been coming pretty much exclusively from the MAGA right. Of course, there is a difference between Democrat policy and MAGA policy. Control over the issue at a local level is significant, but no matter, voting is incredibly important. 

vI) Women's rights: I listed several things that Biden did in regards to this in my last post and you admitted that you were talking out your ass, bud. 

vii) Democracy: Who voted for Trump and Biden to represent the parties? The people. You can't say "We don't live in a democracy" only to point to the representatives that were voted for by the people...

At the end of the day, I vote for the person who best represents my views in the primary, then I do the same in the general, because that is what I can do. Sitting back and saying "Nah, I'm gonna sit this on out" on the hope that somehow things will get better through inaction is insanity. We can debate whether Biden is good all day, but I want to hear you justify how you think doing nothing will make things better...

Finishing thoughts: "Sitting back and saying 'Nah, I'm gonna sit this on out' on the hope that somehow things will get better through inaction is insanity." You could listen to yourself. ;) I'm not going to waste my time so that inaction happens: Biden and Trump are one-in-the-same. But unfortunately, you've already gotten lost in the cultural aspect of identifying as a democrat. Sad. Hopefully you'll overcome your cognitive dissonance some day and realize that me not wanting to support a party that bastardizes a cause which I'm passionate about isn't simply just a matter of "oh you must don't care!!" because it should be clear that in fact I do care. I've just had enough. They have lost my vote.

Hiku said:
firebush03 said:

healthcare is the same between Biden and Trump

The GOP wanted to strip away a huge portion of that healthcare (flawed as it is), without any concrete plan of how it would supposedly be replaced. They just failed to pass it by I believe 1 vote.

I love that line. "Well at least he tried. :/" Yeah well Biden technically did try to enforce gun reform, address emissions, enforce a more progressive taxation system, raise the minimum wage, etc etc....but none of it happened. Gee it sure is a coincidence that politicians simply will say something, endorse a bill knowing well it will never pass, and then act outraged when it doesn't go through. If Trump were a good president, he would've gotten the bill through. It's not a matter of if he tried to get it through, he should've gotten it through.

firebush03 said:
Hiku said:

I love that line. "Well at least he tried. :/" Yeah well Biden technically did try to enforce gun reform, address emissions, enforce a more progressive taxation system, raise the minimum wage, etc etc....but none of it happened. Gee it sure is a coincidence that politicians simply will say something, endorse a bill knowing well it will never pass, and then act outraged when it doesn't go through. If Trump were a good president, he would've gotten the bill through. It's not a matter of if he tried to get it through, he should've gotten it through.

So Trump and Biden are the same on healthcare because Trump tried to strip away healthcare but failed while Biden has attempted to expand healthcare and failed? Weird logic.

Weird logic aside, that’s not even true about Biden. While he hasn’t gotten everything he wants passed on healthcare, he has gotten some notable wins.

Between the Safer Communities Act, Honoring our Pact Act & Inflation Reduction Act, we have gotten expanded access, education & training in regards to mental health care, expanded access to healthcare for veterans exposed to toxic substances during military service, increased ACA marketplace subsidies to low and medium income households, set an out of pocket cap on medications for Medicare recipients and allow Medicare to negotiate the price of medication with drug manufacturers to bring down costs.

This “both sides are the same” argument is so stupid because we have seen Trump repeatedly call for the repeal of the ACA, which would kick millions of people off their health insurance while we have seen Biden sign bills into law that expand access to healthcare for people with mental heath disorders, veterans, the elderly and low/medium income households.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.