By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo France CY 2023: NSW HW 855K, 7.81M LTD, Zelda TotK No.1 with 968K at retail

Zippy6 said:
curl-6 said:

Europe is Sonyland.
Japan is Nintendoland.
America is up for grabs and changes hands all the time, making it the most interesting to watch.

Yes America is the most competitive market so is interesting to watch at the moment. It's weird to me when people will hyperfocus on one region sales and spend basically all of their time only discussing sales in those threads where their favourite platform is performing best. I.E Nintendo Fans in Japan sales threads, Sony Fans in Europe sales threads or back in the X360/Early XBO days Xbox Fans in USA threads. Surely the more interesting to watch is the one where the market is closest, not where your chosen platform is dominating. But I guess it's human nature.

What you said about Nintendo fans isn't true. Nintendo fans dominate Japan threads because Sony fans dodge them lol. Nintendo fans don't dodge US or European threads but thats because Switch does well globally. While the other two have obvious flaws sales wise.

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:
Zippy6 said:

Yes America is the most competitive market so is interesting to watch at the moment. It's weird to me when people will hyperfocus on one region sales and spend basically all of their time only discussing sales in those threads where their favourite platform is performing best. I.E Nintendo Fans in Japan sales threads, Sony Fans in Europe sales threads or back in the X360/Early XBO days Xbox Fans in USA threads. Surely the more interesting to watch is the one where the market is closest, not where your chosen platform is dominating. But I guess it's human nature.

What you said about Nintendo fans isn't true. Nintendo fans dominate Japan threads because Sony fans dodge them lol. Nintendo fans don't dodge US or European threads but thats because Switch does well globally. While the other two have obvious flaws sales wise.

The Famitsu thread for Weeks 52+53 has 112 posts and 9,789 views. The NPD thread for the whole of December (that was for predictions as well as results) only has 44 posts and 3,855 views despite being created 9 days earlier.

You are one of the users that hyperfocuses on Japan sales yourself, on this site and others, with 35 posts in Famitsu threads and only 15 in hardware sales threads about global/europe/usa.

So don't say it's not a thing lol, and don't turn this into "Fans of my favourite console don't do this only the dumb fans of the other console do!" We don't need that divisionary fanbase wars nonsense. All fanbases do it.

I also never meant a fanbase would "dodge" a specific region, but that they would spend relatively more time taking part in threads where their chosen console was the strongest. Not that they would necessarily avoid other regions. It's really just human nature to spend your time focusing on where your "team" is doing best.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 29 January 2024

Zippy6 said:
Phenomajp13 said:

The Famitsu thread for Weeks 52+53 has 112 posts and 9,789 views. The NPD thread for the whole of December (that was for predictions as well as results) only has 44 posts and 3,855 views despite being created 9 days earlier.

You are one of the users that hyperfocuses on Japan sales yourself, on this site and others, with 35 posts in Famitsu threads and only 15 in hardware sales threads about global/europe/usa.

So don't say it's not a thing lol, and don't turn this into "Fans of my favourite console don't do this only the dumb fans of the other console do!" We don't need that divisionary fanbase wars nonsense. All fanbases do it.

I also never meant a fanbase would "dodge" a specific region, but that they would spend relatively more time taking part in threads where their chosen console was the strongest. Not that they would necessarily avoid other regions. It's really just human nature to spend your time focusing on where your "team" is doing best.

What? I'm American, I certainly don't hyperfocus on Japan lol. How you just completely ignore Japan has the most views because it's a large region with actual data, weekly live data. Those NPD/Circana threads would be far bigger if we had as much data. For example how much did those platforms sale, instead of just rankings and potential ranges? Other regions have some weekly data but they are far smaller regions than Japan. European reports are usually annual and also don't even include some of the largest regions in Europe such as the UK. UK gets some weekly data from Dring but again this is a much smaller region than Japan and I believe doesn't get its hardware revealed.

My post being mostly in those Japan threads are because of whom I respond to. Do we see threads of how much will Switch or PS5 will sale in the US this year? Maybe because the data is being hidden with every passing year. Japan is big because Japan has weekly updates and is a large region. 

I didn't turn anything into anything, you made that exact type of post with Nintendo fans stick to Japan threads, like Nintendo fans have any reason to dodge any thread. Switch is doing well everywhere, so Nintendo fans have no reason to dodge Circana threads for example. While Xbox fans have a reason to dodge Japan threads because Xbox is irrelevant in Japan. 

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 29 January 2024

Phenomajp13 said:
Zippy6 said:

What? I'm American, I certainly don't hyperfocus on Japan lol. How you just completely ignore Japan has the most views because it's a large region with actual data, weekly live data. Those NPD/Circana threads would be far bigger if we had as much data. For example how much did those platforms sale, instead of just rankings?

My post being mostly in those threads are because of whom I respond to. Do we see threads of how much will Switch or PS5 will sale in the US this year? Maybe because the data is being hidden with every passing year. Japan is big because Japan has weekly updates and is a large region. 

I didn't turn anything into anything, you made that exact type of post with Nintendo fans stick to Japan threads, like Nintendo fans have any reason to dodge any thread. Switch is doing well everywhere, so Nintendo fans have no reason to dodge Circana threads for example. While Xbox fans have a reason to dodge Japan threads because Xbox is irrelevant in Japan. 

I never said anything about nationality.

"I didn't turn anything into anything, you made that exact type of post with Nintendo fans stick to Japan threads" - I said all users are more likely to focus their interest and sales discussions on regions where their chosen console is doing better. That is not attacking Nintendo fans or warring nonsense, I literally said all 3 do it. You're the one that suddenly got super defensive only taking issue with the comment about Nintendo Fans when I said the exact same thing about PlayStation and Xbox fans too.

My meaning is simple: People will spend more time in threads that are positive about their favourite console and where they are performing the best. You can disagree with that observation all you want but don't turn it into an "us vs them" thing.

Zippy6 said:
Phenomajp13 said:

What? I'm American, I certainly don't hyperfocus on Japan lol. How you just completely ignore Japan has the most views because it's a large region with actual data, weekly live data. Those NPD/Circana threads would be far bigger if we had as much data. For example how much did those platforms sale, instead of just rankings?

My post being mostly in those threads are because of whom I respond to. Do we see threads of how much will Switch or PS5 will sale in the US this year? Maybe because the data is being hidden with every passing year. Japan is big because Japan has weekly updates and is a large region. 

I never said anything about nationality.

"I didn't turn anything into anything, you made that exact type of post with Nintendo fans stick to Japan threads" - I said all users are more likely to focus their interest and sales discussions on regions where their chosen console is doing better. That is not attacking Nintendo fans or warring nonsense, I literally said all 3 do it. You're the one that suddenly got super defensive only taking issue with the comment about Nintendo Fans when I said the exact same thing about PlayStation and Xbox fans too.

My meaning is simple: People will spend more time in threads that are positive about their favourite console and where they are performing the best. You can disagree with that observation all you want but don't turn it into an "us vs them" thing.

I didn't get defensive, I pointed out how that can't be true for Nintendo fans because Switch is doing well globally no matter the region. I can't speak for Sony or Xbox fans but I assume you believe that about them because their preferred platform does have regions they are getting beat badly in. You're the one that made your observation and I simply disagreed speaking from my fan prespective. You made that observation based off of nothing but Japan threads are popular, which is obvious due to Japan giving weekly useful data. While the other regions are either far smaller or we have to wait for Nintendo/Sony reports to learn anything about the region. We don't have to do that with Japan, that's why Japan threads are popular no matter the website/forum. Not because of Nintendo fans only participating in them which is what your post sounded like. I accept you didn't mean fans dodge the specific threads because Sony fans certainly do participate in Japan sales threads lol, who else would argue with Nintendo fans in them? Sony fans may spend more time in other threads compared to Japan threads but that is due to the weekly data. 

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 29 January 2024