By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Developer Direct (poll)

Which was your favorite game showcased at the Developer Direct?

Ara: Untold History 11 2.80%

Avowed 46 11.70%

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle 146 37.15%

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II 70 17.81%

Visions of Mana 120 30.53%

Total:393
Mar1217 said:

Indiana looked like the most enjoyable blockbuster experience out of them. Of course, it was gonna keep the Machine Games 1st person DNA. Could be interesting plot wise, but my guess is it's gonna be moreso a rethread of the first movie but in a different story.

Awoved has much to prove after Obsidian had a potentially cool but luck warm 1st outing with Outer Wilds. Gameplay lacked impact but could have interesting mechanics nonetheless. Of course, people the game will mostly fall on it's writing and the complexity of it's choices and the how to tackle them.

As for Ara Untold, you have to specifically be into the Civilization/Real Time Strategy genre. Don't know how it'll stand among it's peers.

Visions of Mana coming directly on Xbox but no Gamepass makes me wonder if they forked some budget for Square Enix to port it there, although not enough. Of maybe it's just a genuine try from SE to look for a public on Xbox.

There's no inherent problem for Hellblade II for its campaign to be about 6-8 hours considering it's lesser price and what the first game was about. Don't think they necessarily need to go better in all aspects. But it's probably the one game I'm the most puzzled about since most of it's marketing is just around the visuals of it mostly. I feel like the lack of gameplay portion points out to something that could be lacking there or simply similar to the first game.

Also digital only release like Alan Wake II makes me irk a good bit. It's one of their big release but they kinda make it as lesser than the marketing suggests it to be.

Anywoo, seems prep enough for the year at first glance.

Sorry I just had to add a clarification that Ara is like Civilization, but is NOT a Real-Time Strategy game lol. I've seen this comparison online a lot today

4X games like Civilization are Turn-Based. In the presentation you saw that things seemed like they were moving in real time, but that was during the players turn. They were just animations to give an illusion to make it feel more real. Nothing would actually happen until the player ends their turn.

Not a knock on you, but just thought I'd clarify for those that may go into Ara thinking they're playing Age of Empires but instead get something totally different lol. There are certainly some hybrids of 4X games with real time gameplay, but those are very few and far between. 

You are right though about seeing how well Ara stands amongst its peers. Civilization being the biggest. Age of Wonders and Stellaris are other notable examples. The studio does tout having the talent behind Civilization V, which to me was by far the best in the series, then the most recent outing Civilization VI was a huge step backwards. So I'm really looking forward to Ara. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 19 January 2024

Around the Network

Avowed is gorgeous for sure, but the combat rubs me the wrong way, it looks... off. Weightless and focused on dazzling effects first and foremost. I do love Obsidian though, and Pillars 1 and 2 were amazing.

Avowed for me. I wasn't particularly impressed with the video itself, but I like what I'm hearing, and I have some faith in Obsidian. It reminds me that I should get around to finishing the first Pillars of Eternity at some point, and... then continue to the second game.

Indiana Jones was also good, but I'm expecting it to be 'just' good. It doesn't seem to be all gunplay though, so there's some potential there (for both an interesting twist on first-person action gameplay, as well as a disappointment). Ara is also an interesting one, although with the reception of Humankind and to an extent Civilization VI (initially), I'm wary about games of the genre.

The rest I don't particularly care about. Visions of Mana intrigues me a bit, but I don't have any experience with the series, and the video wasn't that great either - which might be a video issue instead of a game issue, but still. I got a good vibe from the developers, which I like, although it's certainly possible it's a misinterpretation due to cultural differences. Hellblade on the other hand has pretty much nothing going on for me personally - everything seems well crafted, but it doesn't particularly appeal to me in any way.

Indiana Jones and Visions of Mana are my most interested titles in the showcase.

The rest are okay, but not as top priority as the above.

I don't think combat showed off well for any of the games. Needed a deeper dive for each of them, but I finished the developer direct kinda perplexed at how unexciting much of the combat looked.

But that's just impressions based on this direct alone.

Around the Network

My favorite was seeing the Indiana Jones game because it was the first time I felt excited for an Indiana Jones game and the hype actually matched the trailer.

BiON!@ 

Avowed was my game of the show however followed closely was Indy Jones, didnt expect much from it, and it was surprisingly good, like protentially MS best game this year if they can nail it.