By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 52 & 53, 2023 (Dec 18 - Dec 31)

It will be interesting to see how PS5 sells in Japan in 2024, with both the higher price and pent up demand now having been met.

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:
Zippy6 said:

Well the first couple of months of 2024 will give a good indication on what's going on with those holiday sales. We'll see if there's a significant drop off in the weeks ahead. In terms of the physical software sales being low it's clear that PlayStation in Japan has had a big shift in consumer spending with PS5. The top 3 played games on PlayStation for 2023 in Japan were Apex, Genshin and Fortnite.

Regardless going back to the initial post that started this quote chain he is completely right. People were predicting the PS5 wouldn't cross 7m LT and that much is guaranteed now.

The first couple of months will be telling and save the nonsense excuses about PS software sales. Free to play games shouldn't reck your software that bad, clearly there is something else going on here. Some people believe the exports to other countries contributes to this as well not just free to play. Regardless that's where the 7 million predictions came from, the PS5 doesn't seem very appealing in Japan so people predicted 7 million. Don't think anyone expected exports lol but regardless those people were right in the sense that PS5 clearly isn't very appealing there just looking at the software. PS5 has free to play in the US and the PS5s software sales in the US arent horrendous at all. Switch has free to play as well and the software is the highest in Japan history. 

DonFerrari said:

And when someone is slightly negative about sales potential of Switch or its game you go full ballistic.

Dude please, negative about the sales potential is not what I attacked. It makes no sense, why wouldn't I want to see him eat crow? I went after the dishonesty. This has nothing to do with Switch anyways. There is a very larger difference between Switch's incredible run globally (third highest in history already) and PS5's mediocre at best performance in Japan. The software sales are worst than WiiU, that's inexcusable. 

Best year in 20 years is mediocre at best? Ok. I close my case.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Valdney said:

Switch is the most successful console  of all time. That is not an opinion.

I would say it depends on the metrics you will use.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Phenomajp13 said:

The first couple of months will be telling and save the nonsense excuses about PS software sales. Free to play games shouldn't reck your software that bad, clearly there is something else going on here. Some people believe the exports to other countries contributes to this as well not just free to play. Regardless that's where the 7 million predictions came from, the PS5 doesn't seem very appealing in Japan so people predicted 7 million. Don't think anyone expected exports lol but regardless those people were right in the sense that PS5 clearly isn't very appealing there just looking at the software. PS5 has free to play in the US and the PS5s software sales in the US arent horrendous at all. Switch has free to play as well and the software is the highest in Japan history. 

DonFerrari said:

And when someone is slightly negative about sales potential of Switch or its game you go full ballistic.

Dude please, negative about the sales potential is not what I attacked. It makes no sense, why wouldn't I want to see him eat crow? I went after the dishonesty. This has nothing to do with Switch anyways. There is a very larger difference between Switch's incredible run globally (third highest in history already) and PS5's mediocre at best performance in Japan. The software sales are worst than WiiU, that's inexcusable. 

Something can simultaneously be the best year in x amount of years and be mediocre if none of those previous years being discussed were strong.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Something can simultaneously be the best year in x amount of years and be mediocre if none of those previous years being discussed were strong.

Not only that, but the PS5 seems to have a kind of bipolar disorder.  Hardware is selling the best ever in 20 years while software sales are worse than Vita or Wii U.  Instead of "best year for Playstation in 20 years" I'd call it "most interesting sales for Playstation in 20 years" or maybe "most interesting sales for Playstation ever".  Software and hardware sales seem to have nothing to do with one another.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

Not only that, but the PS5 seems to have a kind of bipolar disorder.  Hardware is selling the best ever in 20 years while software sales are worse than Vita or Wii U.  Instead of "best year for Playstation in 20 years" I'd call it "most interesting sales for Playstation in 20 years" or maybe "most interesting sales for Playstation ever".  Software and hardware sales seem to have nothing to do with one another.

Do we have the data for software sold by console per year in Japan? I'd love to see how each generation compares on the software front.

Signature goes here!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

Also, we really have to keep in mind that Sony's handheld hardware was a pretty big thing in Japan. (data from VGChartz hardware totals)

6th gen sales: PS1 = 21.59 million units 

6th gen sales: PS2 = 23.18 million units

7th gen sales: PS3 (10.47 million) + PSP (20.02 million) = 30.49 million units 

8th gen sales: PS4 (9.67 million) + PS Vita (5.73 million) = 15.4 million units 

9th gen sales: PS5 = 10-12 million units? 

If the PS5 sells 10-12 million units in Japan, that's still a sizable decline from last gen. And last gen was the worst for Sony ever in Japan. Of course, Nintendo's sales also declined compared to the DS and Wii era. 7th gen was just insane, with both companies firing on all cylinders. But for roughly 20 years Sony's sales never fell below 20 million units per generation. We are looking at a 50% decline. I know Sony is fine and the PS5 has a good chance to outsell the PS4 globally and in Japan, but I just wanted to point that out since it hardly ever gets brought up. Gamers tend to ignore handheld consoles. Has been that way since the early 7th gen days when I signed up here. 

Week 1 2024 has been posted:

ttps://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/media-create-sales-week-1-2024-jan-01-jan-07.2299/

https://www-famitsu-com.translate.goog/news/202401/15331101.html?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 January 2024

Mario wonder is slaying !!

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope. Mediocre by definition is "average, mean" so the best can't be mediocre. You can at most say that it isn't impressive compared to Switch or PS5 WW sale and even that would be still non-sense since first Switch doesn't directly compete or is really 1:1 comparable to PS5 and the split of WW sales and Japan for PS have been like that for several generations now.